Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 PM

28 posts, read 100,340 times

Advertisements

Just had our car shipped in and definitely know we need to tint the windows. I called the local Nissan dealership and was quoted $300. There are loads of places in the yellow pages, but would appreciate recommendations from you rather than taking a chance on an unknown.

Not sure if $300 is a good price or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 03:38 PM

14 posts, read 47,529 times
I recommend getting very good quality tint. My cars were done at Made in the Shade in Mesa. See this short thread from early last month:

Heat shielding car window films

Old 09-01-2009, 08:57 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times
I'm old fashioned I suppose, but I HATE tinted windows. You cannot peer through them to see cars in front of the ink blot car ahead of you. It is a huge safety deal when your vision is reduced. You cannot see who is honking at you from the tinted car going into your office building. It's kind of sinister when someone in a 3,000 or 5,000 lb vehicle is hidden and you don't know what the driver's intention is. Shoot bullets in all tinted windows and do us all a favor please. They are as gross and threatening as big Hummers.

Grow cajones and just get a reflective sunshade for your windshield. The temp difference between a sunshade and tinted windows is not significant compared to between having a sunshade and having no sunshade.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:49 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,008 times
Call Chris at Visual Effects - (480) 704-4041. He did a great job on my Porsche and my wife's Mini for $160 each. Best money I ever spent.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:55 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
I'm old fashioned I suppose, but I HATE tinted windows. You cannot peer through them to see cars in front of the ink blot car ahead of you. It is a huge safety deal when your vision is reduced. You cannot see who is honking at you from the tinted car going into your office building. It's kind of sinister when someone in a 3,000 or 5,000 lb vehicle is hidden and you don't know what the driver's intention is. Shoot bullets in all tinted windows and do us all a favor please. They are as gross and threatening as big Hummers.

Grow cajones and just get a reflective sunshade for your windshield. The temp difference between a sunshade and tinted windows is not significant compared to between having a sunshade and having no sunshade.
You're crazy. Having tinted windows in AZ is a must. It cools the car considerably when you are parked or driving. I saw a guy on the way to San Diego put a reflective visor over his left arm as he was driving down I-8. I guess his arm was burning after 3 hours in the direct sun. He didn't have tinted windows. I have dark tint, and didn't have that problem. I was comfortable. Plus, I can park my car in the mall and feel confident that thieves can't see my satellite radio or any other valuables that may be visible.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:59 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbe2008 View Post
Just had our car shipped in and definitely know we need to tint the windows. I called the local Nissan dealership and was quoted $300. There are loads of places in the yellow pages, but would appreciate recommendations from you rather than taking a chance on an unknown.

Not sure if $300 is a good price or not
I had my Sebring done here
Sainz | AmazingTint

The attention to detail was nothing less then fantastic

Old 09-02-2009, 01:16 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
If the dealership is offering a lifetime warranty and using high-quality tint, then $300 is not too bad.

I personally think that 35% is too light for the front, but that is as dark as the state allows, but if you ask around, you can easily get darker tint on your front windows. I have had 5% all around plus a overlay on my windshield for the last 6 months, been pulled over a few times too and never had any problems.

I can see out my windows just fine at night, I can't always make out what type of vehicle is behind me from my rear view windows, but I can see their headlights just fine. I like the fact that when a huge truck pulls up behind me with the HID headlights it does not glare into my face and blind me.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:42 AM

977 posts, read 1,956,497 times
I got pulled over a couple months ago outside of Flagstaff for my windows being to dark...the cop said Arizona's limit is 30%. Then he proceeded to check mine, and we found out they are at 3%. I had kind of been wondering about it, since it was done before I got the car. Evidently there is no limit in Florida.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:49 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
If you are going to get your car tinted, get the ceramic tint which blocks out most UV radiation and keeps your car cooler and is healthier. Dannys Car Wash did it and you can haggle with them. I paid $600 (they quoted 900). They have 3 different levels of ceramic but get the best one. I have a car with black leather interior and the car is considerably cooler than it was without it; I notice it in traffic because I don't have to use as much AC. You are going to pay $200 for a good tint job, you might as well pay more and get the type that blocks out UV. Having had all my cars with the ceramic tint, I would never go back to regular tint; it makes that much of a difference. There is another place that does ceramic tint, I don't remember the name. I'm not particularly loyal to Dannys, it's just that's where I had mine done.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:32 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
I got pulled over a couple months ago outside of Flagstaff for my windows being to dark...the cop said Arizona's limit is 30%. Then he proceeded to check mine, and we found out they are at 3%. I had kind of been wondering about it, since it was done before I got the car. Evidently there is no limit in Florida.
You would know if you had 3%, at that level you would barley be able to see in or out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
If you are going to get your car tinted, get the ceramic tint which blocks out most UV radiation and keeps your car cooler and is healthier. Dannys Car Wash did it and you can haggle with them. I paid $600 (they quoted 900). They have 3 different levels of ceramic but get the best one. I have a car with black leather interior and the car is considerably cooler than it was without it; I notice it in traffic because I don't have to use as much AC. You are going to pay $200 for a good tint job, you might as well pay more and get the type that blocks out UV. Having had all my cars with the ceramic tint, I would never go back to regular tint; it makes that much of a difference. There is another place that does ceramic tint, I don't remember the name. I'm not particularly loyal to Dannys, it's just that's where I had mine done.
Ceramic film is great, but the cost is not worth it yet, you don't get much improvement over regular tint, and there is a lot of problems with ghosting from heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area