U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,201 times
My Son and I went to our CHANDLER/GILBERTneighborhood park this weekend with our new LED flashlight "Blacklight" we got on sale at ACE hardware and couldn't find any (They Fluoresce bright green)..although I almost got KO'd by some sort of playground equipment 'cause I was looking down when I should have been watching where I was goin'..My 8-yr old is still laughing.

I got one (I thought dead) in my kitchen Fluorescent light fixture a couple months ago..I decided to leave it there until my next weekend with my Son, but it was gone the next day..(Yikes!). When I lived in Ahwatukee, I picked one up off the carpet in the dark hallway thinking it was a leaf my Dog dragged in.(Double Yikes!).. I heard Cats are useful for ridding your house of the varmit scorpions...BUT THE SMELL might make you want to take your chances with a dog and see how that works out.

I played with the scorpion (that I caught in Ahwatukee) in my bathroom sink, and had to really almost hurt him with a #2 pencil to get him to sting the eraser..Took ~5 min of pestering..then he snuck down the drain that I must not have closed all the way..Let's just say my water heater ran out of hot H2O.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 08:27 PM

618 posts, read 1,669,045 times
Just stay away from any place that is close to water or has artificial lakes in the landscaping. I've killed 15 scorpions in my apartment since May because we have artificial lakes in our complex.

Avoid places that have bushes or plants right next to the building, and make sure you find a place that has secure weather stripping, windows that seal securely, and a sealed foundation. Spray regularly for bugs so the scorpions don't have reason to come in to feed.

I've talked to people who have lived in AZ for 10 years and never seen a scorpion. So IMO, my particular complex has an issue. We are moving in a few months. I don't know if you are looking to buy or rent.... but if you are renting, make sure you spell out in the contract exactly who is responsible for pest control, you or the landlord, other wise it could get expensive if you turn out to have a problem.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:15 PM

58 posts, read 36,726 times
In my 16 years in Phx. I only dealt with one once. It was in Glendale actually. I was on my knees cleaning the toilet and looked down and it was on my chest. My first reaction was how beautiful its color was(red rock color). Luckily I was wearing gloves cause my next reaction was to get the killer off of me and I did just that. I swatted it off of me and ran out of there screaming in fear. A friend who was working on his car in my driveway came running in with a can of brake fluid and found the sucker and sprayed him with it and it froze into a lifeless killer.
It took all my courage to go back into that bathroom again.
When I first moved to Glendale in 1991 I was telling my roommate we didn't have any scorpians and he said we did. After dark he took me outside with a blacklight and shined it on the wall surrounding the apt. complex and I was amazed at how many were climing the wall. Without the blaclight they totally blend in. That was at 61st Ave. and Northern.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:00 AM

78 posts, read 196,838 times
Embrace your fear and learn to love the bark scorpion! They are fun to hunt, attractive under a blacklight and gives you something to think about as you shake out those shorts you stripped before diving in the pool. Like a good spanking, scorpion stings are necessary in order to live a full life.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:25 AM

15,858 posts, read 18,609,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransporterG View Post
Embrace your fear and learn to love the bark scorpion! They are fun to hunt, attractive under a blacklight and gives you something to think about as you shake out those shorts you stripped before diving in the pool. Like a good spanking, scorpion stings are necessary in order to live a full life.
Exactly. I've been stung three times now. It's fun spotting and killing scorpions. If we didn't have that what would we do all summer?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:21 AM

13,495 posts, read 15,558,539 times
I've lived here over fifty years, and have seen a total of three of them in a house, two in my own, one in my sister's. They are not that common, really. If the allergy you have is a life or death situation, that's one thing -- you need to decide whether your fear and the risk is worth living here. But if it's simply an allergy, there is no particular area of town that you can say doesn't have them. They do tend to move into subdivisions when vacant land nearby, where they are living, is cleared. So older, established neighborhoods may have better odds of not having them.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:41 AM

421 posts, read 644,717 times
We recently moved into our new house up near I-17 / Carefree Highway and had two of them in the house. Our house was vacant for around six month which I'm sure didn't help.

We have two very young kids in the house and my wife is now paranoid about scorpions. Here are some of the things we've done around the house to help keep them out:

1. Sealed any cracks around windows and doors, we've been told they can fit in a space as narrow as a credit card.
2. Removed all the bed skirts from the beds, makes it more difficult for them to get in the bed.
3. Removed any standing water sources around the house that might attrack them or their food sources.
4. Have the inside and outside of the house sprayed to kill their food sources
5. Hunt for them in the backyard with a LED black light several times a week, so far killed around ten of them in the past two weeks.
6. Foam-sprayed the ceiling boxes for all the ceiling fans and light fixtures that have access to the attic, some had some decent sized gaps that a scorpion could crawl through very easily, our bug guy told us a story of having one trapped in one of his light fixtures a while back.
7. We're going to look at getting some type of wire mesh installed in the air vents on the second story of the house, my wife is convinced the two we had in the house dropped from the a/c vents.
8. We also put the legs to the cribs in glass jars, supposedly scorpions cannot climb glass.
9. As of last night, plugged in some of those ultrasonic bug repellent things in our daughter's rooms. Not sure if they'll keep out the scorpions, but hopefully might help with their food sources.

I hope this helps, we'll see how this helps us in the long run.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 AM

2,784 posts, read 2,905,442 times
I spray around the perimeter of the house with Demand CS, available on line. Same stuff they use at the regular exterminator services, such as Burns. It not only kills the scorpions but also the other bugs I don't want in my house. It is a pesticide which alot of people don't like.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:04 AM

13,495 posts, read 15,558,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I spray around the perimeter of the house with Demand CS, available on line. Same stuff they use at the regular exterminator services, such as Burns. It not only kills the scorpions but also the other bugs I don't want in my house. It is a pesticide which alot of people don't like.
My understanding from an exterminator I used to know is that spraying for scorpions doesn't work unless you actually hit them with the stuff. It may work on their food sources, though, in killing other bugs.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:21 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,666,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme View Post
We recently moved into our new house up near I-17 / Carefree Highway and had two of them in the house. Our house was vacant for around six month which I'm sure didn't help.

We have two very young kids in the house and my wife is now paranoid about scorpions. Here are some of the things we've done around the house to help keep them out:

1. Sealed any cracks around windows and doors, we've been told they can fit in a space as narrow as a credit card.
2. Removed all the bed skirts from the beds, makes it more difficult for them to get in the bed.
3. Removed any standing water sources around the house that might attrack them or their food sources.
4. Have the inside and outside of the house sprayed to kill their food sources
5. Hunt for them in the backyard with a LED black light several times a week, so far killed around ten of them in the past two weeks.
6. Foam-sprayed the ceiling boxes for all the ceiling fans and light fixtures that have access to the attic, some had some decent sized gaps that a scorpion could crawl through very easily, our bug guy told us a story of having one trapped in one of his light fixtures a while back.
7. We're going to look at getting some type of wire mesh installed in the air vents on the second story of the house, my wife is convinced the two we had in the house dropped from the a/c vents.
8. We also put the legs to the cribs in glass jars, supposedly scorpions cannot climb glass.
9. As of last night, plugged in some of those ultrasonic bug repellent things in our daughter's rooms. Not sure if they'll keep out the scorpions, but hopefully might help with their food sources.

I hope this helps, we'll see how this helps us in the long run.
If you have white exterior light bulbs, change them to yellow. According to an exterminator I talked to, they are attracted to white lights, as are other bugs (food source).

He also told me that contrary to popular belief, you CAN kill scorpions with pesticide, it just takes 48 hours to 7 days for them to die. I believe this, because I have seen lots of dead scorpions in houses that have been sprayed (model homes, so they all died at once).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area