Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 01:52 AM

72 posts, read 233,517 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
We will be moving soon to Phoenix, and have decided to rent till the market stabilizes. Since we don’t want to keep moving our kids from school to school, we decided to look for rentals in the Kyrene district, and then later buy a house in the same neighborhood. What confused me was that the guide told us that Charter schools are very 'popular' here.....I didn’t get a chance to ask him in detail, but I am wondering if Charter is better than regular public school........please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 07:48 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,905,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehazaidi View Post
Hey guys,
We will be moving soon to Phoenix, and have decided to rent till the market stabilizes. Since we don’t want to keep moving our kids from school to school, we decided to look for rentals in the Kyrene district, and then later buy a house in the same neighborhood. What confused me was that the guide told us that Charter schools are very 'popular' here.....I didn’t get a chance to ask him in detail, but I am wondering if Charter is better than regular public school........please help!!

Do some research before you stick your child in one of those schools. Some are very good and others are a haven for kids who have been kicked out of the regular school districts.

Kyrene is a decent school district, I'd stick with that unless someone can direct you to a good Charter school. I can direct you to a bad one and it's called Franklin Academy or it goes under the name of Life school Liberty. It's full of drugs,fights,horrible teachers and unruly kids.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:55 AM

38,945 posts, read 50,850,868 times
I agree with Sheena. Many of the charter schools are very bad. Often they are in dilapidated facilities, lack equipment, have less qualified teachers, do poorly on state testing, go bankrupt and close without warning, and have drug and discipline problems. There are some exceptions, of course, but Kyrene is a well-funded district with super facilities that attracts top teachers, has strong parental involvement, great sports teamsn and art programs, and just about every Kyrene school at every level is a top performing school by the State's rating system. This is a no-brainer.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:37 PM

Thanks guys, my hubby will be working in chandler (2555 w. chandler blvd.) so I need to find out really good schools near by.....any idea?

Old 05-03-2007, 12:13 AM

4,271 posts, read 15,213,164 times
If charter schools in PHX are anything like charter schools in Houston, I would stay far far away from charter schools. Don't get me wrong, some charters can be good but most aren't. I can't comment on any schools in PHX since I don't know any but I was a 4th grade teacher at a charter school in Houston and it wasn't a very good experience.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:22 AM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,434,724 times
The charter schools are hit and miss. Some are much better than public schools, and others are places for drop-outs and kids kicked out of the schools. In general, preparatory and montessori schools are better. Internet or E schools aren't usually good choices. I work at a charter school, and our group of schools is in the top five for AIMS testing scores (public and charter schools). It really depends on the school.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:53 AM

647 posts, read 3,331,116 times
Check greatschools.net and schoolmatters.net for school ratings. Within any district, and among charter and public schools, you'll find good ones and bad ones. I wouldn't lump them all into one category. I'd check each one individually.

Good luck!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:31 AM

24 posts, read 112,015 times
Will your husband be working for Countrywide or Full Spectrum? My delivery Route for the past 4 years has been most of Chandler. There is an elementary school near your husbands work at metro parkway and Galveston. I can't remember the name off the top of my head though. Where the kids attend school depends on where you plan to live and if you are willing to drive them to a different school in the district. I would definately research the schools. Now is a good time since school will be out for the summer and you have at least 3 months to look into it. Good luck and welcome to AZ!
Valerie

Old 05-03-2007, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the tips...........and thanks for welcoming us hughesgirl.....

Old 05-03-2007, 10:40 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,905,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
Check greatschools.net and schoolmatters.net for school ratings. Within any district, and among charter and public schools, you'll find good ones and bad ones. I wouldn't lump them all into one category. I'd check each one individually.

Good luck!

The good ones usually have a waiting list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: