Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:55 PM

824 posts, read 2,335,251 times

Advertisements

I am a careful driver who has thankfully not been involved in an accident. One time, I was bumped from behind waiting at a red light, but that amounted to little to no damage.

But really, distractions abound. I even turn off talk radio if I am on a particularly dangerous stretch of road. But engaging in a full-blown telephone conversation removes you from the realities of the situation. Even if you luck out and do not hurt someone, you are adding risks for other people that they simply did not sign on for. I guess that we can all stay off the roads, but it seems a wee bit more logical for the habitual driving cell users to simply park before they converse.

I was almost sideswiped by the driver of a white Chrysler 300 pulling out onto Bell Road in the West 80s less than a week ago. The guy was coming from a parking lot, where his big important phone call could have been completed. Had he not been engaged in conversation, my blaring car horn and quick braking would probably not have been necessary to avoid a collision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 10:02 PM

643 posts, read 1,393,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinecities View Post

I'm hoping cell phones are not legal while driving in AZ - do you know? I think it's too distracting and should not be allowed. Just curious what the law is in AZ. Thanks
Yup its legal! If people cant drive with one hand and talk with the other while driving and auto tranny car they shouldnt be allowed to drive anyway. You hope its illegal? I hope you dont come here

Old 01-17-2010, 10:05 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,091 times
"But engaging in a full-blown telephone conversation removes you from the realities of the situation."

Some people can, some people can't. I can talk on a cell phone and drive (because I can multi-task well), but when I feel I need to pay extra attention to the road, I either say "hold on a minute" or "I'll call you back". My wife can talk on the phone, drive and hold conversations with others in the car with no issues.
But there are plenty of people that get so caught up in their phone conversations, that it's as if they've forgotten that they're driving. Those people need to either take responsibility and not talk on the phone while driving or they need to get a ticket for reckless driving.
I don't think those that are capable of driving and talking need to be punished because others can't.
And, besides, where does it end? What's next to be outlawed in the car?

Old 01-17-2010, 10:07 PM

643 posts, read 1,393,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Simple solution...hands free Bluetooth systems.
If the government is gonna force my to use it than they better pay for it

Old 01-17-2010, 10:12 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,412,768 times
This happened to me last summer. In my neighborhood, there are 2 main roads. All straight through with no stop signs. Along these 2 main roads are about 8 to 10 roads that intersect, all of which have stop signs. I was driving down the main road on day, luckly I look each way even though I dont have to stop, when I saw a SUV coming from my left. I slammed on brakes just short of the intersection. I watched this lady go by about 50 mph, blow through the stop sign, not even look at me, looking straight ahead as she drove. I noticed she was on a cell phone, not even noticing a stop sign.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
This thread caught my eye...

several years ago a family member in Oregon was put into a coma by an idjit yapping on a cell phone...he's one of the reasons it's now illegal to do so in Oregon. He was a triathlete and is just now learning to walk again.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:27 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,683,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
"But engaging in a full-blown telephone conversation removes you from the realities of the situation."

Some people can, some people can't. I can talk on a cell phone and drive (because I can multi-task well), but when I feel I need to pay extra attention to the road, I either say "hold on a minute" or "I'll call you back". My wife can talk on the phone, drive and hold conversations with others in the car with no issues.
Super Talented Multi-Taskers usually have the most serious, even deadly, accidents . . . sooner or later.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:34 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,227,900 times
It has been proven that using a cell phone is MORE dangerous than drinking and driving. Personally, I feel they should go after them the same way. Yank their licenses, and fine them heavily. I used to be a delivery driver for many years. I have been hit MULTIPLE times by people using cell phones. Most of the time it was someone who is chatting away NOT using their turn signal. Maybe they hit me because they already have BRAIN CANCER from using the cell phone. And no, I have never owned, nor do I now own a cell phone.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post

But there are plenty of people that get so caught up in their phone conversations, that it's as if they've forgotten that they're driving. Those people need to either take responsibility and not talk on the phone while driving or they need to get a ticket for reckless driving.
I don't think those that are capable of driving and talking need to be punished because others can't.
And, besides, where does it end? What's next to be outlawed in the car?
Some people also claim that they can drink and drive quite well.

I see your final point and don't know where it ends either but...

the 18 year old kid who almost killed my family member is still serving out a jail term. In a way I've felt bad for him; he was just a college boy with no record.

Perhaps if the law had been in effect at that time, the kid's life wouldn't have been ruined and my BIL would still be out doing triathlons.

It doesn't seem too much to ask that we require those who operate heavy machinery refrain from using hand held devices.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:56 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,091 times
"Super Talented Multi-Taskers usually have the most serious, even deadly, accidents . . . sooner or later."

Huh? Bummer, I usually like reading your posts. This one made no sense.

One thing about multi-tasking is that, in order to do it (or do it well), you've got to have good priorities. You've got to know when to put more focus on what, when to say "no", etc.
The only car accident I've ever been in, I was stopped at a red light and a car hit me (full speed) from behind. My new-born daughter was in her car seat in the back. The driver? "Distracted" by a conversation with his girlfriend in the seat next to him. Should we outlaw talking to other passengers?
My wife, who is especially good at multi-tasking, has never been in an auto accident. But her sister, who is not good at multi-tasking, has been in three car accidents in the last 10 years (phones were not involved any time).
Anything can be a distraction. People need to know their limitations, take personal responsibility, and say "no" sometimes. If you are not able to do it (whether it is driving while on a cell phone, listening to the radio, pulling a booger out of a coffee cup, talking to the person next to you, etc, etc, etc), then don't do it.
But is it right to force those who can do it not to just because some idiot didn't say "no"? And where does it end? Are we going to add new laws saying you can't talk to others in the car while driving? You can't listen to music? You can't... You can't... You can't... while driving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area