Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 12:41 PM

21 posts, read 52,646 times

Advertisements

We are building a new house in Phoenix and trying to decide on flooring. I know most houses have tile but we really like the look of hardwood. Some folks say not to do it, or you need a humidifier etc...
Anyone have first hand experience with hardwood floors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 01:58 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezzy View Post
We are building a new house in Phoenix and trying to decide on flooring. I know most houses have tile but we really like the look of hardwood. Some folks say not to do it, or you need a humidifier etc...
Yes, we have restored hardwood flooring that was first installed in the 1920's. Some had to be replaced but most was restored to its former glory. The wood is treated and sealed. No need for a humidifier. Most people I know have hardwood flooring in some room or multiple rooms and they are beautiful. Never heard the humidifier thing before...wonder if I should buy my trees some now, LOL! I am being facetious.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 09-29-2009 at 02:28 PM..

Old 09-29-2009, 02:18 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Quote:
We had oak shorts (tongue in groove) installed in a newly constructed home in 1983. At the time, some unscrupulous builders (including ours) were using a technique that glued wood to the cement slab and called the glue a "vapor barrier". The result was a floor that soon warped due to moisture from the slab. We involved the Registrar of Contractors and ultimately got the builder to remove the floor, install a subflooring--which was the industry standard--and then put down a new floor. About every five years or so we would have the floor stripped and resealed. We never used water or Endust or anything like that on it and when we moved out in 2006 it looked as good as it did when it was installed. The moral of the story is to make sure that you are dealing with reputable folks and then take good care of it and it will last forever. Fairly expensive though...

Old 09-29-2009, 02:24 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,009 times
You could always get laminate wood flooring instead of real wood flooring.
I don't like carpet anymore- to many problems. I only like tile, laminate wood flooring, real wood flooring oh and Marble- but to expensive.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:14 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
with all the trendy flooring today (travertine, saltillo, berber carpet, etc., etc.), I wanted to know what was a classic flooring material that would never look dated...I found an article that addressed that very question and it said only wood and stone will never go out of style....

be careful with wood laid over a concrete slab, as pbenjamin says.....laminates are cheaper and more "engineered", but don't have that authentic feel and look....I have some laminate on a second floor and am happy with it - easy to clean....I just wipe it with a damp rag once in a while....dog has scratched it up a bit, but that adds character!

Old 09-29-2009, 04:26 PM

4 posts, read 15,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
.dog has scratched it up a bit, but that adds character!
When we were looking at wood floors, we wondered why the most popular were the 'pre-weathered' ones - with all those scratches, dents, divots, etc. All we wanted was smooth smooth smooth. Dog or not, you're going to get some scratches and dents! Think about that when picking.

We're really happy with our engineered wood floors. The engineered wood means about zero chance of warping, it can be glued or nailed down (but with the concrete slabs you find all over Phx - it's probably going to be glued). The top layer can even be as thick as to the nailhead for solidwood. Look around, and ask lots of questions.

We visited lumber liquidators and others, 100s of times before finally choosing and buying.

Sarah

Old 09-29-2009, 05:31 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,251,775 times
Quote:
Who told you not to do it? There are a lot of wood floors in the Phoenix area. Like some of the others have said, just make sure they install it correctly. Sub floors are best, but if you use a vapor barrier they can be installed over a concrete slab.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:18 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Given that Arizona is one of the worse places in the country for termites, you might want to ask around with that in mind.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:37 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,251,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Given that Arizona is one of the worse places in the country for termites, you might want to ask around with that in mind.
I've been here 31 years and have only seen two house that had problems with termites. I've never heard a problem with termites and wood floors, structural damage yes, but not wood floors.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:57 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
I put in laminate at our condo; heckuva lot easier to take care of than carpeting.

It's "floating"; no glue or nails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: