Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:45 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times

Advertisements

If I'm a visitor checkin' out the local watering holes in AZ, then I might ask myself:

"What kind of Patrick Swayze Roadhouse joint is this if they gotta post a no guns sign?"

Old 09-30-2009, 12:55 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I agree. I wouldn't mind a list of the establishments that are posting the "no firearms" signs so that I could give them my business.

I'm genuinely curious, do you feel more secure because of the sign and permitted gun owners staying out?
do you feel the old law stopped those most likely to shoot a place up from entering?

Old 09-30-2009, 01:22 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't agree with your assessment of CCW being pretty responsible. Many, maybe most, are but there is a sizable portion of them that are drunks, druggies, unconvicted criminals, wing nuts and kooks. Nobody has to prove themselves responsible to get a permit - just not convicted.
What proof do you have of this? How many CCW'ers do you know? I know many and can't think of one who's remotely shady. And why don't we hear about CCW'ers getting in trouble with the law? Surely, the gun-hating media would love nothing more.

If you think a sign prevents any criminal from carrying, you're nuts. "Gun-free" zones are where there is most likely to be a shooting. Why don't criminals attack police stations, gun stores and shooting ranges?

Old 09-30-2009, 01:34 PM

837 posts, read 2,333,889 times
O.T, but has any potentially deadly situation ever been thwarted by CCW carrying person??

Old 09-30-2009, 01:37 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
O.T, but has any potentially deadly situation ever been thwarted by CCW carrying person??
Happens all the time. Read the Armed Citizen section of the American Rifleman. It's newspaper clips from around the country where someone used a gun to defend themselves. Of course, countless more such cases go unreported. The one time I was threatened with a knife, I was in communist New Jersey and not armed. I drove straight to the police station and they couldn't have cared less. Of course, had I been armed and held the criminal until the cops there, I'd have lost the gun and gone to jail too.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:46 PM

966 posts, read 1,344,424 times
Quote:
I don't have a CCW, nor will I ever apply for one, I prefer to open carry, and yes, I have used my gun to defend my life once ( I did not have to fire it), and the lives of my neighbor and his son on another occasion (I did fire it at a attacking pitbull), oh, and both times were in central Phx.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:48 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
Quote:

It happens more then you think, it just never seems to make the news. here is just one of a million examples:

Quote:
Seems like pretty standard media coverage. But what makes this case different is that 21 percent of the news stories actually mentioned that a citizen licensed to carry a concealed weapon used his gun to try and help stop the attack.
The citizen, 50 year old Mark Wilson, was one of the two people murdered. As CNN reported, “Everyone here agrees, Wilson saved lives.” Fox News' website quoted the sheriff as saying "if it hadn't been for Mr. Wilson, [Arroyo's son] would be dead."
Wilson, a licensed concealed handgun permit holder, heard Arroyo’s shots and saw the commotion from his apartment window. He grabbed a handgun and headed toward the attacker. Arroyo had already wounded several police officers and there was no one left to prevent his rampage.
Arroyo had also shot his 22-year-old son and was about ready to shoot him again from very close range when Wilson fired his gun, hitting Arroyo several times in the chest. Arroyo was wearing a bullet resistant vest and flak jacket and Wilson's shots did not seriously wound him. Yet, Wilson’s shots forced Arroyo to come after him, and it used up a couple of minutes of his time. Unfortunately, in the exchange of gunfire, Arroyo eventually fatally shot Wilson. With police arriving, Arroyo fled the scene and was later shot to death by police as they pursued him.
Neighbors described Wilson as “one of the nicest, sweetest guys I've ever known.” Others pointed out that “He's not going to sit back and -- when he could do something about it, and just let it happen” and called him a hero....
FOXNews.com - Good Samaritan Gun Use - Opinion

Old 09-30-2009, 02:35 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee
If you think a sign prevents any criminal from carrying, you're nuts. "Gun-free" zones are where there is most likely to be a shooting. Why don't criminals attack police stations, gun stores and shooting ranges?
Exactly! And I agree with the majority here that say the "No Guns Allowed" signs will not change the mind of somebody with a criminal intent. In a place with such a sign, the only people who will not carry their guns into the establishment will be law-abiding citizens, criminals don't care whether there was a sign or not, they'll carry their guns in with them, or any other weapons.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:56 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
I was in the military and had to use my weapon. Back home in America I choose not to keep one around personally except at home (my sig. other does as it is part of his job) for personal reasons and just because I actually feel safer when guns aren't around.

However, I don't think this law matters much as you'd be more likely to get hit and killed by a drunk driver than a gun totting criminal and crime is falling in Phoenix faster than any other mid-sized or large city.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 09-30-2009 at 03:28 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 03:22 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Happens all the time. Read the Armed Citizen section of the American Rifleman. It's newspaper clips from around the country where someone used a gun to defend themselves. Of course, countless more such cases go unreported. The one time I was threatened with a knife, I was in communist New Jersey and not armed. I drove straight to the police station and they couldn't have cared less. Of course, had I been armed and held the criminal until the cops there, I'd have lost the gun and gone to jail too.
Unfortunately, the majority of news articles about civilian firearm casualties contain tragedies such as young 'uns having accidents with firearms.

More unfortunate is the many stories of heroes that go unreported.

Shameful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area