Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 01:23 AM

270 posts, read 1,110,012 times

Advertisements

I used pigeon guy and his stuff works. No more pigeon poop. Then the sparrows found the spikes along the space under the roof. They are small enough to fit between the spikes and made nests against the house. The pigeon guy said sparrows' nest was not covered under his 3-yr warranty. So hubby used a telescoping pole to remove nests until the birds stopping rebuilding them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 03:55 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
In spite of being laughed at when I posted this simple fix before, Richard, here goes . . .

Hang about three or four blank CDs (small hole drilled about 1/2 inch from edge) from any overhang or tree limb with fishing line. For some weird reason both Pigeons and Doves dislike the flashing created by the spinning CDs.

Granted at first it sounds and looks kinda goofy, however, I tried it a few years ago and have been Dove Poop Free ever since.

Good Luck

I had the same problem with birds eating my grass seed.

I tried hanging up a used CD's with mixed results. When I hung up a Donna Summer CD, their heads would bob faster; almost as if they were dancing. When I put up a Nora Jones CD, a lot of doves fell asleep. In the end, I could not find a CD that made them leave.

Then I got to thinking.... My grass likes organic material. So I top dressed the grass seed with a thin layer of manure over the freshly seeded yard. As it turns out, doves hate the smell of manure in their food. Go figure. I got the bags at the Home Depot and my grass came up lush and green and the pigeons / doves were hungry.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:49 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I had the same problem with birds eating my grass seed.

I tried hanging up a used CD's with mixed results. When I hung up a Donna Summer CD, their heads would bob faster; almost as if they were dancing. When I put up a Nora Jones CD, a lot of doves fell asleep. In the end, I could not find a CD that made them leave.

Then I got to thinking.... My grass likes organic material. So I top dressed the grass seed with a thin layer of manure over the freshly seeded yard. As it turns out, doves hate the smell of manure in their food. Go figure. I got the bags at the Home Depot and my grass came up lush and green and the pigeons / doves were hungry.
Every year when the yard is seeded with ryegrass for the winter, we get birds that like to eat it. We have a neighbor a couple of doors down that also plants a winter lawn but he goes crazy with things like streamers on posts, etc. in an attempt to keep the birds away. It is not clear to me that his grass comes in any better than ours. I guess he just doesn't like birds. Personally I would rather look at birds than all of the junk he sticks in his yard to chase them away.

Oh, and there is always manure that goes down with the seeds. The birds here do not seem to mind it.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,304 times
You can hire someone to pigeon proof your roof. It works. My pigeon problems are over. No nets. They put a thin strand of wire around the perimeter of your roof and anywhere the pigeons might roost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area