Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 02:41 PM

15 posts, read 29,556 times

Advertisements

I'm freezing my, well, everything off!!! Two Nor'easters back to back. My thermometer says 39, my toes say frostbite. Well, not literally! I wish, wish, wish it was 90 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 03:32 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,840,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ked23us View Post
I'm freezing my, well, everything off!!! Two Nor'easters back to back. My thermometer says 39, my toes say frostbite. Well, not literally! I wish, wish, wish it was 90 degrees.
Double socks, longees'...I don't miss that...we have 101, and are usually a few degrees less than Phoenix

Old 10-17-2009, 06:54 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,252,641 times
We took the heat, and now we're taking it again. Today's official high was 102 degrees at Sky Harbor Int'l ... breaking the old record of 100 degrees. I wish to hell there was a way of somehow breaking down these obnoxious high pressure systems. Why not??? Scientists have made advances in altering other climatic conditions (such as cloud seeding). Why couldn't there be a way to release the pressure from these high pressure ridges?!

Old 10-17-2009, 08:30 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,840,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
We took the heat, and now we're taking it again. Today's official high was 102 degrees at Sky Harbor Int'l ... breaking the old record of 100 degrees. I wish to hell there was a way of somehow breaking down these obnoxious high pressure systems. Why not??? Scientists have made advances in altering other climatic conditions (such as cloud seeding). Why couldn't there be a way to release the pressure from these high pressure ridges?!
Shhhhh....no 40 or less, snow, sleet, etc...it will go away soon....

Old 10-18-2009, 04:47 PM

15 posts, read 29,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Double socks, longees'...I don't miss that...we have 101, and are usually a few degrees less than Phoenix
What are longees'? Like long johns? I'm not sure if I should know what these are being from the NE!!! I wear tights under my jeans when it's freezing outside. Thankfully it's not that cold yet. Hoping to sell all my winter attire soon. I hear people in PHX know your from out of town if your jacket has a hood on it! ALL of mine do, and they must be big hoods so I can fit my thick a** hat underneath!

Old 10-18-2009, 05:44 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,077,767 times
Too funny.

My first winter in Phoenix really made me laugh.

There I was, clad in shorts and sandals enjoying my coffee on the patio, and here comes some folks walking their dog.

Dressed to the hilt with parkas, hats, and mittens.....yes....MITTENS!

.....on a cool Sunday morning at a "balmy" 65 degrees.

I think I took a dip in the pool later that day.....LMAO.....

Old 10-20-2009, 01:14 PM

31 posts, read 47,677 times
I would be one of those people in parkas and hats, though I draw the line at mittens. I prefer gloves.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:16 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Too funny.

My first winter in Phoenix really made me laugh.

There I was, clad in shorts and sandals enjoying my coffee on the patio, and here comes some folks walking their dog.

Dressed to the hilt with parkas, hats, and mittens.....yes....MITTENS!

.....on a cool Sunday morning at a "balmy" 65 degrees.

I think I took a dip in the pool later that day.....LMAO.....
Hey YAZ,

I hardly even wear shorts. I used to when I was younger though. At 65F I'm usually dressed in a long sleeve shirt with pants. At 70F I'll put on a t-shirt and anywhere from 70-74F is awesome weather to talk a long walk in. I wouldn't even think about putting on a parka unless it was 45F or below.

Also, because I live in Southern CA(Los Angeles area), it is possible to be grilling kabobs or steaks in the back yard pretty much all year. That's something folks in the MidWest and East Coast can't do. I guess we are blessed, aren't we? I sometimes complain about LA weather but I must admit it is better than some parts of the country.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:31 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,132 times
This summer saw 118 days of 100+ degrees and 100 degree temperatures in 7 different months, the most in the last five years based on my record-keeping. The record of 100+ days is 122 days from 1989 so we came close this year. But I think this summer was easier than others mostly because there was no monsoon. I can't stand the humidity. I only put the air on in the car about five times this year but then, the heat doesn't bother me. I just keep the windows open.

The summer of 2007 was far worse than this one in my opinion. We saw 32 days of 110 or more (a record), 113 days of 100+ and it was 99 in March (record is 100) and 94 in November (record is 96) making nine months of 90s and up. It's not the heat, it's the duration.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:02 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
We have to remember that even though we get 110-115 degrees in July, it's still easier to deal with than dealing with harsh winter conditions in some places, like having to shovel snow and scrape ice off the windshield early in the morning, and not to mention the hassles of dealing with road conditions, if the roads are open. I lived in western Oregon for a little over a year, and even though that region has relatively mild winter conditions, it was still a challenge whenever freezing rain or snow storms came in.
Agreed, there is a key difference between extreme heat and extreme cold. Extreme heat is a nuisance and doesn't feel good. Extreme cold disrupts your life. I remember when the Suns NBA teams was trapped in downtown Denver and were forced to miss a game because the entire city was shut down for 2 days due to a winter snow storm. The Suns players were saying how downtown Denver had one place that was open to eat at because everything else was closed down.

I also don't believe in these weather theories. I remember all these dumb theories came about in May because 100 degree temps kicked in early. They tried to argue that it keeps getting hotter earlier each year despite the facts showing otherwise. Then June was amazing and most of the month was free of 100 degree days. They set a record since 1913 for most consecutive days under a 100 degrees wich exceeded two weeks. Yes, July set a record for being the hottest July but August was cooler than July and it's average temp for August was 95 which was 3 degrees cooler than July. I thought this summer was one of the most mild we've had in years. You are going to get bad summers and mild summers. The cooler weather kicked in early this year. According to this forum, it doesn't cool down until mid-November. Well, look what happened this year, it cooled down at the start of October. Again, so much for those theories. No one wants to accept the fact that weather patterns are random. Next year, it won't cool down until November and I guarantee someone will post a dumb thread about some theory forgetting that this year it cooled down in early October. People in Phoenix just want to complain. They forget about the mild summers and the good years and only remember the bad ones and then try to formulate theories. Everyone remembers that 100 degree day in October but they forget that 90 degree day in August.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 10-22-2009 at 01:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area