Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 7,190 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have relocated to AZ a little over a year ago from the east coast and finding friends for myself has been a headache. He did not have any problems in that department because he knew several people prior to our relocation.

How do I put myself out there where I can meet other people especially similar to me. Currently, I do not work, I'm a SAHM, finished college years ago, so I do not know how to get out there. Not working nor attending school really puts a cap on things were my interactions with people are slim to none. I do not go to night clubs, drink, smoke etc... But I do love going out to dinner, movies, shopping etc... I am close to 30 and would be looking for friends closer to my age group.

Groups/Clubs? Any suggestions?

Being alone in a new place without friends is just plain awful!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 02:30 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,132,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZsSunshine View Post
My husband and I have relocated to AZ a little over a year ago from the east coast and finding friends for myself has been a headache. He did not have any problems in that department because he knew several people prior to our relocation.

How do I put myself out there where I can meet other people especially similar to me. Currently, I do not work, I'm a SAHM, finished college years ago, so I do not know how to get out there. Not working nor attending school really puts a cap on things were my interactions with people are slim to none. I do not go to night clubs, drink, smoke etc... But I do love going out to dinner, movies, shopping etc... I am close to 30 and would be looking for friends closer to my age group.

Groups/Clubs? Any suggestions?

Being alone in a new place without friends is just plain awful!!!
Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com

Old 10-07-2009, 02:34 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,318,979 times
Excellent stuff, LVD!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:36 PM

426 posts, read 1,301,263 times
The HOA we live in has a parent's group for SAHM where they do various play dates with the kids at the members houses.

My wife plans to attend the next play date sometime this month.

My wife was a member of some other Mother's group back in Texas that is supposed to have chapters around the country. I imagine a couple of Google searches could turn one up.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:51 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,552,190 times
You have interests don't you? Join a club in those interests!

I definitely no longer rely on internet to meet people. You participate in person. I like a certain individual sport. I sometimes join a club in that sport and work out with a bunch of people. Met a lot of fine people that way.

If you are into religion, go to a place where your common religion meets. If you are not religious, maybe get together with people into sports.

Maybe someone where you work has common interests.

Phoenix is about the fifth largest city. There's something for everybody. And if you get jaded, there's always Skyharbor Airport to get you out of "Dodge." There are one or two things I can get elsewhere that I cannot get out of Phoenix, so I use Skyharbor to get there.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:45 PM

674 posts, read 2,544,875 times
Sell Avon.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:21 AM

477 posts, read 1,579,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
You have interests don't you? Join a club in those interests!

I definitely no longer rely on internet to meet people. You participate in person. I like a certain individual sport. I sometimes join a club in that sport and work out with a bunch of people. Met a lot of fine people that way.

If you are into religion, go to a place where your common religion meets. If you are not religious, maybe get together with people into sports.

Maybe someone where you work has common interests.

Phoenix is about the fifth largest city. There's something for everybody. And if you get jaded, there's always Skyharbor Airport to get you out of "Dodge." There are one or two things I can get elsewhere that I cannot get out of Phoenix, so I use Skyharbor to get there.

She is a stay at home mom, meaning she does not work. It's not easy to just take a flight somewhere when you are raising a family, and playing sports with kids in tow doesn't really work. Did you even read her post?

Old 10-08-2009, 12:24 AM

477 posts, read 1,579,002 times
Are your kids school age? Have you looked into play groups? Do you attend a Church? Those are all of the ways that I met people and made friends when I was a stay at home Mom. Also, check with the local communtiy centers for classes that you and the kids could take. You could for sure meet other moms that way. This is the easiest place to meet people. It has really taken me several years to make and build any longterm friendships. The first 3 years were lonely.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 AM

162 posts, read 382,127 times
I have noticed people in AZ seem to be very private, and not very open to making new friends. My fiance and myself have attempted to meet people, but strangely enough we have been approached by tons of swingers, interested in more than friendship.

We took a few cooking classes at PVCC and we met a few other couples that we hang out with every now and then.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:12 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,047,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieb75 View Post
She is a stay at home mom, meaning she does not work. It's not easy to just take a flight somewhere when you are raising a family, and playing sports with kids in tow doesn't really work. Did you even read her post?
I know! You are so right sassieb! God, don't jump on her, it's tough when you are with the kids all day, in a new place.
You will just meet people in the weirdest places now and it takes longer than when you're young. I have friends now that did my hair, or live on my street and see them when I'm out front with my son. It's hard to go to meet groups and play dates they are usually weird if you're not friends with them first. Then there is the fact that you don't drink, lol, most parent groups that hang out drink, I have found it really hard to meet people when you don't drink socially, those are the social ones. The friends I have all have family parties but the adults that hang out socially drink. I don't drink anymore but I always hang out with the drinkers because those are the social ones. lol Unless you dig AA parties. he he Or get into the church gatherings, then I suppose you wouldn't be posting on city data.

Seriously, don't advertise that you don't drink or smoke and you will get invited to some parties eventually. You don't have to drink or smoke at them but those people are friendly, and want to hang out and party. lol
Otherwise, just get into your family and forget about a social life in that respect. Just enjoy the gossip at the parks and kid lands. I just forgot about it for a period of time and it was quite enjoyable having no where to go and just doing whatever I wanted.
Good luck to ya, and I don't mean that people who don't drink are boring, but, ha ha, we sorta are. lol Think about it. We just don't exude that, come hang out with me I'm fun thing anymore. lol

Oh, haha, and swingers and weirdos go to meet up groups, so be careful.

Holidays are good times for parties, people are always having Halloween parties and Christmas parties. If you get to talking with other moms, etc, they will eventually invite you to a party and then you're in like flynn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area