Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:14 PM

88 posts, read 251,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
When the judges and prosecutors agree to work for the same $12 a day, then I might care to show up. Until then, I will give the request for me to appear and serve as a slave the respect it deserves.
Yeah, who needs that whole Article III of the constitution thing?

I mean really, why would those criminals need you, anyway? Surely they are guilty, since the cops arrested them. ..

Old 10-09-2009, 11:30 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailofdogma View Post
Yeah, who needs that whole Article III of the constitution thing?
Obviously, the gov't. doesn't, since they don't allow jury trials for plenty of offenses. There is so much of the Constitution the gov't. (especially the Supreme Court) has ignored for so long, that I don't have a guilty conscience about much anymore, as long as I'm not hurting someone.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:41 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,076 times
"You must spread some reputation around before you give it to Rick Lee again"

Someone said something in an earlier post about volunteering. When my wife was doing her undergrad I used to go with her to the courtroom all the time. I found it very interesting.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:56 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,604 times
I didn't say I have a problem with jury duty. But in my limited experience, we were not treated well and it was a very wasted day. There was no notification on the summons that we could not bring cell phones into the courthouse. Most of us took the Metro there, so we had no cars to store cell phones. When we got to the courthouse and they said they wouldn't store them for us and they absolutely banned, we still saw countless lawyers on their cell phones inside the bldg. One nice guy who did drive offered to take them all in his car. Sadly, he got picked for the jury and it was a real headache to get him to be allowed to back to his car and pass out our cell phones. The judge was a born again prick and relished telling us how he helped write a state law that said everyone except the governor was jury duty-eligible. I have a problem with giant, imposing government buildings, designed to project the power of the state on those who enter it. The whole things seemed very Orwellian.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:00 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Thanks for all the replies everyone It isn't like I am trying to get out of Jury Duty, I just don't want it to be a long trial that is on my wedding day! Or if I postpone it, I do not want it to fall on the week of my honeymoon (that isn't until January)! Hopefully I will get excused, if not.. I don't know!
Just pick a specific day within the next 60-90 days. They WILL let you do that. Easy.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:04 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Thanks for all the replies everyone It isn't like I am trying to get out of Jury Duty, I just don't want it to be a long trial that is on my wedding day! Or if I postpone it, I do not want it to fall on the week of my honeymoon (that isn't until January)! Hopefully I will get excused, if not.. I don't know!
I was called for Jury duty in June. It was the day of my mother's colon cancer surgery. I wrote a letter to the head bailiff and asked for a two month postponement. It was postponed for 4 months. I reported this last Wednesday. I was there from 8:30 to 1:30. The pool I was assigned to was for a trial that was settled out of court 10 minutes before jury selection was scheduled to start. That is the way it usually happens. A lot of trials are pled out or settled at the last possible minute.

Let the court know what your situation is and it will most likely work with you on it.

Take my advice and take a book, a bottle of water and a snack of some kind with you. It is not a bad experience at all. I served on a jury once and was selected for a trial. It lasted one day. If you are a student you will probably be deferred.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:06 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
We are not a Democracy we are a Constitutional Republic.
No, I live in a Democracy.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:16 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I think the OP has the answer requested and this thread is wandering off topic. Closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area