Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 08:25 PM

9 posts, read 18,548 times

Advertisements

Our family is considering relocating to Phoenix area from Wisconsin. We are looking for honest opinions, as free from bias as possible from the likes of those who are disgruntled or make money from relocatees. Sorry if we offend you. We know it is hot and we know that there is crime (where is there not in a large metro area?). And we know there is a commute (again, where is there not in a large metro area?)

We have read that the NW, SW side of metro PHoenix is mostly retiree and/or lower income areas. It seems that the SE side of Metro Phoenix is a decent place to live.

When you post, would you mind sharing your age (or general age) and family or single so we can get a sense of who is replying? We appreciate your willingness to help us as we start the search/decision process...

I read that Kyrene school district is very good. Can someone who knows agree or disagree?
Would that district include Gilbert and Mesa?
Are there other areas that you would recommend checking out?
What are good areas for family with school age children?
What are the other major industries (Besides service)? We are both professionals, on in Market Research the other in Engineering.
Is there a good supply of rental housing in these areas, so we don't have to rush into buying?
Taxes: what is sales tax rate? What is average property tax rate on, say, a $250,000 home?

Old 07-18-2006, 08:47 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treed9
Our family is considering relocating to Phoenix area from Wisconsin. We are looking for honest opinions, as free from bias as possible from the likes of those who are disgruntled or make money from relocatees. Sorry if we offend you. We know it is hot and we know that there is crime (where is there not in a large metro area?). And we know there is a commute (again, where is there not in a large metro area?)

We have read that the NW, SW side of metro PHoenix is mostly retiree and/or lower income areas. It seems that the SE side of Metro Phoenix is a decent place to live.

When you post, would you mind sharing your age (or general age) and family or single so we can get a sense of who is replying? We appreciate your willingness to help us as we start the search/decision process...

I read that Kyrene school district is very good. Can someone who knows agree or disagree?
Would that district include Gilbert and Mesa?
Are there other areas that you would recommend checking out?
What are the other major industries (Besides service)? We are both professionals, on in Market Research the other in Engineering.
Is there a good supply of rental housing in these areas, so we don't have to rush into buying?
Taxes: what is sales tax rate? What is average property tax rate on, say, a $250,000 home?

If you must know my age I'm 43 and hubby is 47. We have been in the Phx area for 18 years. We are leaving soon mainly for the reason you listed above.

I have lived in NW Phoenix, Tempe and the SE Mesa and Gilbert and Chandler.
Oh I forget N Phx for a year too.

My oldest started out at Kyrene. The district is fine has a good reputation. If you wanted to live in the Kyrene district you would live in Ahwatukee, Chandler or South Tempe. Those are ok areas.

Me personally since I've lived all over I would look in Gilbert. The schools are very good and I probably wouldn't live anywhere else in the Phoenix metro area. That's just my own personal opinion.

I have 4 kids my last graduating 2007.

We have lots of different companies here. Lots of jobs are located in Scottsdale. Check monter.com

Taxes are pretty cheap right now but they are talking about raising them due to the increase in home values. I bought my house for 145,000 in 2002. I also have an inground pool and I pay something like 1400.00 a year.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old 07-18-2006, 09:08 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Generally Mesa, Apache Junction, and Tempe are the lower income areas. Retirees are spread out, some live in Apache Junction while others live in Paradise Valley. Most leave by May and return in November-December.

Gilbert and Chandler are probably most family-friendly cities of the Valley. They offer good schools, lower crime, and generally just a great area to live.

Quote:
I'm 25 going on 26, single. I've lived here for 7 years and I love it!

Quote:
Gilbert and Chandler. If you have money, Fountain Hills or Scottsdale.

Quote:
Plently of homes that are for rent, especially in the summertime when the snowbirds are back in Minnesota.

Quote:
What is average property tax rate on, say, a $250,000 home?
Like she said, property taxes are CHEAP. I pay around $3000/ year for my home and a few hundred a month in HOA fees.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:43 PM

9 posts, read 18,548 times
I forgot to add that we are 36 and 34, kids 9 and 8. Income $90k in WI.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:47 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,468,721 times
It sounds as if neither of you is pursuing a job offer in Phoenix. What would have led you to pick Phoenix out of all the thousands of cities in the U.S....especially since Arizona is a Right to Starve...no what is it?...oh yeah, a "Right to Work State" (translation: repressed wages statewide)?

Old 07-18-2006, 11:53 PM

212 posts, read 791,482 times
There are severel marketing research businesses in the Pheonix area. Delve in Pheonix, Focus Market Research in scotsdale and CRR in tempe. There may be more, but I have had experience with these three.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:06 AM

212 posts, read 791,482 times
I forgot 32, 4 kids, happy family. We lived in Mesa for 11 years, but recently moved to Utah. Mesa, like all other cities in the valley have good and bad neighborhoods. Kyrene school district is mainly in Tempe. Mesa has their own school district. You may want to look into charter schools. There are a lot in maricopa county. Depending on your childrens need they may be a better way to go. I think you will find retires in every city, some areas are just more saturated. The newer areas seem to have more families. Have you looked into Queen Creek? Kinda far out though.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:33 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,540 times
Property taxes are low here; roughly plan for about 1.1% of the home price for taxes.

I agree with a lot of what Speedy had to say. I am 37, husband is 40, we have two kids, age 3 and 1. We live in far far north Scottsdale, on the Carefree border.

If you can afford it, I'd say you'd want to live in the Scottsdale or Hopi school districts. They are typically the best rated. However, with the Scottsdale school district you also get the parents who can have the Scottsdale, well, attitude. Cave Creek school district is not bad, but definitely not as good as Scottsdale or Hopi. however, Hopi is in a sort of older, mixed neighborhood. Some of the district is very high end, the rest is still undergoing regentrification.

Personally, I am not the biggest fan of Chandler/Gilbert as many people here are. It is great for families, but is very flat, is still very rural in many parts and you have to drive everywhere to get anywhere. The lot sizes tend to be postage stamp size as well. But it's all personal choice and what you are looking for in a home and community specifically. You should definitely check it out, either way. For us, a little more land was important and so was being in a bit of a cooler area (where I live is about 10 degrees cooler from downtown Phoenix in summer).

Anthem by Del Webb is a good master planned family community on the far north side of town (again, far out from a lot of things, but nice views and lower home prices). It is in the Deer Valley school district, I believe, which is not top rated. But when you're looking at going to the 48th state in the nation for education, it's all sort of relative.

As a side note, I am a realtor here in AZ that is about to relocate to Austin - if that gives you some context for my comments, positive or negative! Good luck.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:32 PM

212 posts, read 923,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927
Property taxes are low here; roughly plan for about 1.1% of the home price for taxes.

I agree with a lot of what Speedy had to say. I am 37, husband is 40, we have two kids, age 3 and 1. We live in far far north Scottsdale, on the Carefree border.

If you can afford it, I'd say you'd want to live in the Scottsdale or Hopi school districts. They are typically the best rated. However, with the Scottsdale school district you also get the parents who can have the Scottsdale, well, attitude. Cave Creek school district is not bad, but definitely not as good as Scottsdale or Hopi. however, Hopi is in a sort of older, mixed neighborhood. Some of the district is very high end, the rest is still undergoing regentrification.

Personally, I am not the biggest fan of Chandler/Gilbert as many people here are. It is great for families, but is very flat, is still very rural in many parts and you have to drive everywhere to get anywhere. The lot sizes tend to be postage stamp size as well. But it's all personal choice and what you are looking for in a home and community specifically. You should definitely check it out, either way. For us, a little more land was important and so was being in a bit of a cooler area (where I live is about 10 degrees cooler from downtown Phoenix in summer).

Anthem by Del Webb is a good master planned family community on the far north side of town (again, far out from a lot of things, but nice views and lower home prices). It is in the Deer Valley school district, I believe, which is not top rated. But when you're looking at going to the 48th state in the nation for education, it's all sort of relative.

As a side note, I am a realtor here in AZ that is about to relocate to Austin - if that gives you some context for my comments, positive or negative! Good luck.
When was the last time you visited Chandler..there is NOTHING left of the rural areas..everywhere you look are new homes, the huge Chandler mall, 2 Super WalMarts, a Super Target..new stores and restaurants everywhere..brand new Lowe's as well as Home Depot. New businesses are moving to Chandler constantly-one of the largest Intel Corps are here. Take a ride down Price Road and see the big companies located on each side of this area. There will be many new professional buildings/businesses located around the Chandler Airport. A new huge park was just announced and will be built soon. If you are a realtor, you should take a look at the areas that you are commenting on prior to making any statements.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:30 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,540 times
Tismekll,

There are many areas, especially far out in Chandler and Gilbert, that are still rural in feel. As far out as Seville Country Club (which, incidentally, we almost bought a home in, so kindly refrain from the outright accusations that I don't know what I'm talking about) there is still a lot of open farmland.

Sure, on Price Road there are tons of high tech companies and a lot of retail, but Chandler is much larger, as you know, than the area near Price Road. And you still have to drive to it all.

And you make an excellent point. Chandler and Gilbert have plenty of shopping. Strip malls as far as the eye can see - if you like that sort of thing!

Have a pleasant day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area