Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:47 PM

16 posts, read 45,620 times

Advertisements

I'm considering renting in either of these two areas. I work by the Metro Center mall... Any opinions on the differences of these two areas for a family with small children? I had read somewhere that the PV Mall area was slowly getting worse but that the DR area was a terrible commute. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 03:52 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,180,335 times
The area north of PV Mall, for sure, is quite nice; I'm less familiar with what's on the other sides, but in relatively close proximiity to the mall, I think the whole area is fine. Desert Ridge is pretty, but it's a drive to anywhere from there. I'd say it's mostly a matter of which house you like better, the proximiity to other things you need access to, and the commute from either, all weighed together. I don't think crime/safety is a big issue either way; schools are good either place.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:20 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,859,456 times
I used to live not far from Desert Ridge and Paradise Valley Malls. But I haven't been to them in 5 years now. I liked them.

How are they nowadays??

Old 10-14-2009, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 10,709 times
There are definately some sketchy areas/neighborhoods west of the PV mall (between PV Mall and Cave Creek Road (and beyond)). That said, as far as "sketchy" goes, it is not too bad.

Additionally, there are some extremely nice neighborhoods on all sides of the PV Mall, so it is hit and miss.

If you are renting an apt/condo, there is a very nice looking new development just south of the PV Mall adjacent to an LA Fitness.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:59 PM

687 posts, read 1,938,196 times
West of PV Mall - stay south of Sweetwater, generally, and you'll be fine. But frege5 is right, outside of that isn't too bad at all.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
PV Mall area is pretty nice for the most part, minus the panhandlers. Overall the Desert Ridge area is nicer, IMO, but as others have pointed out, its a bit out of the way. There are some cool apartments near Desert Ridge that are all multi-colored, but I cannot ever remember their doggone name. Sorry!

Old 10-14-2009, 10:14 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,191,379 times
The apartments by Desert Ridge that are multi-colored: Shade at Desert Ridge.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:03 AM

16 posts, read 45,620 times
Thanks for the input! I was looking at townhouses mostly because I don't want to live below or above anyone (above would be terrible because of my kid and his love of running and making lots of noise). I saw that there was some located on the same loop as the PV mall...

Old 10-15-2009, 12:29 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,705,266 times
I don't know how old your kids are, but you might pay attention to the elementary schools. The boundary between PV Schools and Scottsdale Schools is the old Cactus Road alignment, where the road was before they curved it for the mall. As a result there are some complexes just south of the mall that are actually split between the two districts. If near the mall and in the PV District (between 40th and Tatum, south of Hearn) the elementary school is Village Vista. It has a high concentration of apartments in its boundaries and the school has problems. North of Hearn (Whispering Winds) or east of Tatum (Desert Shadows) is much better, as is south of Cactus (Sequoyah in Scottsdale Unfiied).

Old 10-16-2009, 10:11 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,853,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azizsma View Post
Thanks for the input! I was looking at townhouses mostly because I don't want to live below or above anyone (above would be terrible because of my kid and his love of running and making lots of noise). I saw that there was some located on the same loop as the PV mall...
I think there's some one story apartments near 56th st and Bell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area