Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:16 AM

29 posts, read 110,628 times

Advertisements

I am looking at two pools one is 34x16 with depths of 3,4,and 6ft 10in. The other one is 36x17 with depths of 3ft 6in, to 5 to 3ft 6in. Now my son and I like having a deep end and the length in order to swim however the one with the shallow depth is nice for people that cannot swim like my wife and daughter they can use the entire pool just not sure if it will be big enough to swim in and jump in being 6ft tall. I see the good and bad in both I could use some help on this one the choice is very hard. I hear that most pools in arizona are shallow play pools, I'm sure their are people that have deep ones also, maybe someone that has had both can join in and give pros and cons also

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 08:43 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Father View Post
I am looking at two pools one is 34x16 with depths of 3,4,and 6ft 10in. The other one is 36x17 with depths of 3ft 6in, to 5 to 3ft 6in. Now my son and I like having a deep end and the length in order to swim however the one with the shallow depth is nice for people that cannot swim like my wife and daughter they can use the entire pool just not sure if it will be big enough to swim in and jump in being 6ft tall. I see the good and bad in both I could use some help on this one the choice is very hard. I hear that most pools in arizona are shallow play pools, I'm sure their are people that have deep ones also, maybe someone that has had both can join in and give pros and cons also

Thank You
I had the one that was shallow on both ends and deep in the middle. It was actually very usable. We had a diving pool in the other house which was fun for diving and jumping but we got more use out of the play pool. We had people over and we would hook up the volleyball net and also play basketball. It depends on what you prefer. I always liked the diving pools until I had my play pool. More of the older homes have diving pools. Most people build play pools these days maybe because they are cheaper, I don't know.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:59 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
I've owned both and my advice is ABSOLUTELY go shallow (play pool). You didn't say whether yours would have a diving board but if you do the space required from the front edge of the board takes up way too much room in a residential pool. Whether you have a board or not, treading water is no fun and you will be spending the vast majority of time huddled together in the shallow end. You can jump in 5' just fine (I am six feet tall and do it) just not head first if you're smart. You will spend far more time bobbing around, etc, than jumping in anyway. Another advantage to the play pool is peace of mind when the kids are out there. If they can stand up in 90% of the pool or be able to take a step and stand up, you will be more at ease than if there are big expanses where their feet can't touch.

The play pool lets you use the whole thing and not 1/3 to 1/2 of it. And get a basketball hoop - endless hours of entertainment that no pool should be without.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:17 AM

508 posts, read 1,673,407 times
Go deep - the results are always better! Seriously though, I do prefer the deeper pool. We had a shallow play pool growing up and my friend had a diving pool with a slide and a shallow end big enough to play in - his was way more fun. I have a 3 year old and an 8 year old and more to come and I think we will end up with a deeper pool that we can dive in and a hot tub to relax in.

I did want to throw out the question as well - did the Valley ever create the law requiring all new pools to have safety fences around them or how did it turn out? I remember several years ago that being a big deal cause kids were dying but I never followed it as I didnt have a pool or kids at the time.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:25 PM

551 posts, read 2,725,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
I did want to throw out the question as well - did the Valley ever create the law requiring all new pools to have safety fences around them or how did it turn out? I remember several years ago that being a big deal cause kids were dying but I never followed it as I didnt have a pool or kids at the time.
Last time I checked, it was STRONGLY encouraged that you put in a fence, but not yet required by law. However, it is required by law that all doors leading to the pool area are made child safe -- meaning that there is a door release placed higher up (where small children cannot reach), as well as self closing and locking external gates, pool signs, etc. Also, door alarms (bells) are available as well, but may not be required by law.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:51 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,407 times
Well - I am glad that they are begining to do something, but it is sad that the government has to step in and start forcing people to protect kids from drowning. It would seem that parents would take that initiative on their own. I know our pool will be gated and locked and we will have all required locks on the doors. You cant keep your kids safe 100% but you sure as heck can try and take every measure possible. Anyway - I have hijacked the thread enough, back to the topic at hand.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:41 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
Well - I am glad that they are begining to do something, but it is sad that the government has to step in and start forcing people to protect kids from drowning. It would seem that parents would take that initiative on their own. I know our pool will be gated and locked and we will have all required locks on the doors. You cant keep your kids safe 100% but you sure as heck can try and take every measure possible. Anyway - I have hijacked the thread enough, back to the topic at hand.

Watch the news this Summer they are still drowing even with fences

Old 05-09-2007, 03:00 PM

29 posts, read 110,628 times
Thanks for the feedback. If anyone else can comment please do so, also has anyone had any experience with Mossmon Brothers Pool in Scottsdale

Old 05-10-2007, 01:38 PM

65 posts, read 478,914 times
We are putting a pool in at our new home. We are using Dolphin as they were the best of all the ones we were in touch with of which there was at least 7. Anyway, I didn't want our pool to monopolize our whole yard, so we are putting in a lagoon pool. It will be 3 - 5' in depth. It will also have a connecting spa. We don't have any small children so drowning and such is not an issue. I grew up with a pool on Long Island at my parents house that was 3 - 8' with a slide and diving board. I liked both styles. As a teenager, I liked to dive. The slide was more of an exciting thing when we first got it, the rest of the time it just sat unused. I have to say though, other than diving, I agree with most people, me and my friends hung out and played volleyball and other assorted things, headstands, etc. in the low end where you didn't exhaust yourself treading water. I got the pool at my parent's house at the age of 8 and used it until it collapsed finally at age 25. So there is my two cents.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:46 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,789,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Father View Post

Thank You
We had a deep pool when I was growing up. It was either 9'.6" or 10' deep - they hit rock and had to go a little deeper. There was a rope that hooked on the walls to divide the deep and shallow ends. You just have to decide which is better for your current situation. There are pros and cons to both. My last two have been play pools. I preferred the deep pool but the play pools have been more practical since I need the pool as much for rehabbing broken body parts now as I do for enjoyment.

Fence laws vary from city to city. Seven years ago Mesa did not require a fence but all doors and gates leading to the back yard had to be self latching.

If pools were like cars, I'd trade my California Pool in for a new Paddock in a heartbeat. Their in-floor cleaning system was worth every penny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area