U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:02 AM

9,187 posts, read 10,056,977 times

Advertisements

I'm writing this because there have been many threads asking where to get authentic Chinese food. For Chinese enthusiasts, this is a pure Sczechuan style Chinese restaurant.It's located in the Chinese Cultural Center off 44th street and the 202 in Phoenix. The food is very spicy and includes a lot of chilis but it's not overwhelming and for those who enjoy spicy food, you will probably need to ask them to make it spicier. I recommend the Water Boil Beef or Chicken and their Cumin Beef.

They have a regular "Gringo" menu and the Chinese menu. I recommend getting both menus. The American "Gringo" menu does a good job of selecting items from the Chinese menu that the basics. This isn't necessarily bad because the Chinese menu will have tripe and other ingredients that people may not be used to. However, they also have some unique vegetable dishes that are not the Gringo menu.

There were a lot of additional positive traits. The parking was plentiful. The restaurant was very clean and nice looking. It was busy but in a good way. It was full but not to the point that you had to wait for a table. The service was really good too. All the servers are Chinese but they are also very friendly and not your typical "stoic..always in a hurry" type of wait staff that you typically experience at a Chinese restaurant.

I knew the food would be good but what pleasantly suprised me was how nice the service, location, parking and restaurant was. I'm definitely going back here but I was excited to share the news with those of you haven't yet eaten here or was looking for a great Chinese restaurant. I'm a big fan of Chinese food in general and have been to some other great Chinese restaurants like Wongs, Big Wong (no longer in service), Gourmet House of Hong Kong, China Chile etc and this was the best I've eaten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 08:16 AM

1,553 posts, read 4,152,402 times
Yes, I like this place and need to explore it more. Lao Ching Hing in the same shopping center is also good. Their specialty is the food of Shanghai, and they also a have a "secret" Chinese menu with the really interesting stuff.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:48 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,787,641 times
Been going there since before I moved here. It's pretty good. Not as good as the real thing, but pretty close.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Yes, I like this place and need to explore it more. Lao Ching Hing in the same shopping center is also good. Their specialty is the food of Shanghai, and they also a have a "secret" Chinese menu with the really interesting stuff.
They have another place too "Budda Palace" which is a Cantonese place. Have you been there too? I want to try Lao Ching Hing. What do you recommend at Lao Ching Hing?

Old 10-17-2009, 04:53 PM

1,553 posts, read 4,152,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
They have another place too "Budda Palace" which is a Cantonese place. Have you been there too? I want to try Lao Ching Hing. What do you recommend at Lao Ching Hing?
Yes, I've been to Golden Buddha. By night, it's pretty good Cantonese food in a slightly upscale atmosphere with a pianist. By day, it serves dim sum, which is good but not great. It's okay if you want dim sum in a fairly central location, but the best dim sum is in Chandler IMO.

As for LCH, I recommend the following dishes:

Rice cakes -- not the bland diet food, but instead really good circular noodles
Ants climbing the tree -- thin noodles with ground meat
shredded potato with chilis
green onion pancake
sliced cucumber in garlic sauce
minced fish with pine nuts

Old 10-18-2009, 04:06 AM

78 posts, read 211,582 times
Do they have real Huajiao? That's the spicy numbing peppercorn that numbs your mouth while the sichuan hot pepper heats the stomach, the one key to Sichuan (the current pinyin spelling of old the Taiwanese/Hong Kong spelling)--and that combination is awesome! Huajiao feels like novocaine in the mouth. The Hunan peppers and cuisine are different in that the mouth is hot, the stomach gets hot, and then the day after, something else gets hot. Just curious as to whether the food is closer to real Chinese food, or just generic Wenzhou cuisine with General Tao's Chicken, Almond Chicken, Pepper Chicken, Mongolian Chicken, Lemon Chicken, etc--all names for the same dish, give or take one ingredient or various amounts of MSG. We are jonesing for a real good chinese place with actually good Dongbei rice! Thank you.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransporterG View Post
Do they have real Huajiao?
I know it well, but I don't think they use it or at least don't use it very much. I always ask them to make stuff extra hot and my wife asks them in Chinese too. Still, it's mostly covered with ground up red chili peppers and not the hua jiao. Maybe they do use it and it's just really old, but I never get the novicane numbness there I've gotten at plenty of other real Sichuan places.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:06 PM

4,248 posts, read 6,701,745 times
My only criticism of this place (and I did move here from the SF Bay area) is their food isn't spicy enough. I went with a friend from Sri Lanka and even given this point they could not provide the required red chili peppers. We had to ask once or twice to make it more spicy, in spite of seeing another patron's food (Chinese) loaded with red peppers. For this reason, I give this place a thumb's down. A person should NOT have to ask more than once or twice for the restaurant to live up to its name.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:13 PM

I know this may not be p.c. but you have to be blunt at Asian restaurants whether that is Indian or Chinese. Tell them bluntly "Don't treat me like an American (a White person) and make it hot" I guarantee they will make it hot if you say that. You might think you are insulting them but you are not. They will be happy that you are being honest with them. If you just say make it hotter, they will assume you want it hotter relative to an American person. Usually, I'm scared to request that because when I have done so, they made it too hot. Still, I laugh because I guarantee I could go back to this restaurant and make that request and they will make it pretty dam hot. It's part of the Asian culture. Be blunt and direct, don't be shy!

Old 10-19-2009, 01:24 PM

I agree with Azriverfan. But everyone at Szechwan Palace knows me and, if my wife is not with me, I order in Chinese myself. Believe me, they know I can handle it. Still, it's just not that hot. I've actually run into two of their servers eating dinner with their familes at Great Wall on two occasions and that food is definitely not hot there. I get the feeling some of the folks at Szechwan Palace are Fujianese. Those kinds of restaurants tend ot have a high turnover in the kitchen too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area