U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Couple moving from upstate New York, moving to Valley of the Sun Arizona, Phoenix, southern Rochester suburb West Henrietta, cheap housing, high property taxes

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:44 AM

82 posts, read 196,633 times
It's great to see that people have pride in where they live. There is a place on earth for everyone. No place is perfect but we all seem to have a place that feels like home.

That being said... the OP said that they felt like they would rather pay more money on something tangible and not taxes where they can't see where their money is going. I guess that depends on what stage you are in life. If you are single, married without kids, empty nesters or retired, high taxes seem unfair. However, those same taxes pay for valuable services in your community like well-funded schools as well as many other services that make communities great. It may seem like the money is being thrown into the air only to blow away but it actually increases the quality of life for all of the residents. Think of what it would be like to live in a place that struggles to educate it's kids, provide basic services, etc... Social ills would quickly follow. I wouldn't be a quality place to live for anyone.

Take a look at the benefits of your community...they all cost money to fund. It's not free. It's either funded by federal, state or local taxes. If it's privately owned, you pay in membership or use fees. Anyway you look at it, you pay. Even an afternoon in the park isn't free because someone has to maintain the park.

I guess what I am saying is that sometimes we need to look at the big picture.

One thing that worries me about Phoenix is the lack of funding for education. Even if you don't have kids, the benefits of living in a community with highly educated kids and adults are tremendous. There is a direct correlation between safe, livable communities and the percentage of individuals with college degrees. This correlation goes beyond race.

Just something to think about...

p.s. I'm not advocating out of control spending with taxpayer money. We still need to old the decision makers accountable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 08:52 AM

123 posts, read 335,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlips View Post
It's great to see that people have pride in where they live. There is a place on earth for everyone. No place is perfect but we all seem to have a place that feels like home.

That being said... the OP said that they felt like they would rather pay more money on something tangible and not taxes where they can't see where their money is going. I guess that depends on what stage you are in life. If you are single, married without kids, empty nesters or retired, high taxes seem unfair. However, those same taxes pay for valuable services in your community like well-funded schools as well as many other services that make communities great. It may seem like the money is being thrown into the air only to blow away but it actually increases the quality of life for all of the residents. Think of what it would be like to live in a place that struggles to educate it's kids, provide basic services, etc... Social ills would quickly follow. I wouldn't be a quality place to live for anyone.

Take a look at the benefits of your community...they all cost money to fund. It's not free. It's either funded by federal, state or local taxes. If it's privately owned, you pay in membership or use fees. Anyway you look at it, you pay. Even an afternoon in the park isn't free because someone has to maintain the park.

I guess what I am saying is that sometimes we need to look at the big picture.

One thing that worries me about Phoenix is the lack of funding for education. Even if you don't have kids, the benefits of living in a community with highly educated kids and adults are tremendous. There is a direct correlation between safe, livable communities and the percentage of individuals with college degrees. This correlation goes beyond race.

Just something to think about...

p.s. I'm not advocating out of control spending with taxpayer money. We still need to old the decision makers accountable.
Good points. I guess I was just venting about taxes because Rochester, NY is one of the most dangerous cities in the US (highest per capita murder rate in the nation), the schools are just horrible, and the roads are some of the worst in the country. What are we getting for the high taxes here?

Old 05-10-2007, 09:29 AM

82 posts, read 196,633 times
I must say that I don't know much about Rochester. I'm sure that there are many cities like Rochester throughout the country. There are exceptions to every rule which is why I added my p.s. about holding our elected officials accountable for the way they spend our money. I should have added that we need to make sure that the spending results in positive outcomes and results for the benefit of the community. But that means that citizens must not only know what is going on but also get involved. Unfortunately, corruption and mismanagement of taxpayer money happens. Yet, I say we shouldn't become cynical or give up or ignore it or run away from it. In those cases, change has to come from caring members of the community even if the challenge is an uphill battle. Many times those involved in the corrupt or unethical behavior will get caught and either be thrown out of office and/or go to jail.

I do wish you the best on your move. I hope that you really like AZ.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:34 AM

123 posts, read 335,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlips View Post
I do wish you the best on your move. I hope that you really like AZ.
Thanks. We are looking forward to it very much! In fact, my parents, who just retired are thinking about moving to the valley also.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:08 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 3,660,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdotcom01 View Post
Good points. I guess I was just venting about taxes because Rochester, NY is one of the most dangerous cities in the US (highest per capita murder rate in the nation), the schools are just horrible, and the roads are some of the worst in the country. What are we getting for the high taxes here?
Your taxes will be much less. Personally, my assessed "full cash value" in 2006 was 118,500. The taxes were $906.50. I don't have my current tax bill, but the 2008 valuation has increased to $224,500. (Market value is approx. $250k on a 1717 sqft 4br on a 7500 sqft lot) My taxes will be higher next year but still nothing compared to NY. There are variables to your tax bill depending on what county, city and school district you buy in. Arizona makes up the difference in a much higher VLT - vehicle license tax; stand-by for sticker shock in that area.

NY vs AZ, well to each his own. I think NY is beautiful. In pictures. My wife is from the Lake George area. Several years ago we went back for two weeks in late June/early July. The humidity felt worse than Alabama in July and the mosquitoes were almost as large. I've been here since JFK was President and I look forward to the heat more every year. There is no such thing as 'too hot' for me, but I'm in the minority. Which state is better can't be determined by stats or weather charts. It's determined by each individual and their own opinions. My wife BTW, adapted very well to the desert. The heat doesn't bother her and having spent her first 24 years in upstate NY, her opinion...she hates it.

What do you get for your taxes? Again, I think that's a matter of opinion. I'm PAYING for schools; k through community college, maricopa co. flood control, CAP water conservation, county health care(free to non-tax payers), voter approved bonds, voter approved overrides, the county library, etc. I'm even taxed $1.20/mo. to pay for a trade school. People complain about our poor education system. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. One thing is true though: You can't teach intelligence. My kids did very well so I have no complaints.

You may come to miss the greenery you are accustomed to, but if you can handle the heat, I think you and the gf will adjust. The roads are wider, your vehicles will not be eaten by salt and shorts and t-shirts take far less storage space than parkas. Welcome to Phoenix.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:54 PM

4,299 posts, read 10,004,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Your taxes will be much less. Personally, my assessed "full cash value" in 2006 was 118,500. The taxes were $906.50. I don't have my current tax bill, but the 2008 valuation has increased to $224,500. (Market value is approx. $250k on a 1717 sqft 4br on a 7500 sqft lot) My taxes will be higher next year but still nothing compared to NY. There are variables to your tax bill depending on what county, city and school district you buy in. Arizona makes up the difference in a much higher VLT - vehicle license tax; stand-by for sticker shock in that area.

NY vs AZ, well to each his own. I think NY is beautiful. In pictures. My wife is from the Lake George area. Several years ago we went back for two weeks in late June/early July. The humidity felt worse than Alabama in July and the mosquitoes were almost as large. I've been here since JFK was President and I look forward to the heat more every year. There is no such thing as 'too hot' for me, but I'm in the minority. Which state is better can't be determined by stats or weather charts. It's determined by each individual and their own opinions. My wife BTW, adapted very well to the desert. The heat doesn't bother her and having spent her first 24 years in upstate NY, her opinion...she hates it.

What do you get for your taxes? Again, I think that's a matter of opinion. I'm PAYING for schools; k through community college, maricopa co. flood control, CAP water conservation, county health care(free to non-tax payers), voter approved bonds, voter approved overrides, the county library, etc. I'm even taxed $1.20/mo. to pay for a trade school. People complain about our poor education system. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. One thing is true though: You can't teach intelligence. My kids did very well so I have no complaints.

You may come to miss the greenery you are accustomed to, but if you can handle the heat, I think you and the gf will adjust. The roads are wider, your vehicles will not be eaten by salt and shorts and t-shirts take far less storage space than parkas. Welcome to Phoenix.

That's funny I did miss the greenery never thought I would. Nice post!

Old 05-10-2007, 01:30 PM

65 posts, read 304,008 times
I always ask what are we paying our $13,000 in taxes for!!!!!!!!!!! It's more than a thousand a month, it's absolutely crazy. A real big chunk here on Long Island is for the school taxes, they take up a majority, but the rest, God knows............ They used to remove the sand out of the street after the winter, but that is happening less and less, then they constantly, and I mean constantly, paved the parking lots in the town. I mean how many times do we need the parking lots paved? A lot of the money here goes for salaries which are out of control. Our principal, a woman, who does do a good job, don't get me wrong, makes $225,000 a year, that a big salary. I know because the school board got so fed up with the high taxes and all, that they send out a paper with each school teacher's salary printed on it come August. The teachers don't like it one bit, but hey people want to know where this money is going. And, get this half the time, we are on austerity and they tell us they won't have sports, or no tissues, or no crayons for the kids. It blows your mind................ I was told about $2,500 for our new home, so we'll see, but it sure beats what I am paying here. Probably once we get our business up and running, we will sell the house in New York and move there permanently. You could never retire here without megga bucks, hence why all our old people are leaving and our younger ones who just got married move away, sad really.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:40 PM

51 posts, read 136,902 times
unfortanately that would be great if it really worked. Here in our county and state people pay tons of many in property and school taxes, and many schools are laking. Where my sil lives a few towns over, they pay close t0 12k a year...the elementary is great but I wouldnt' want to send my kids to the middle and hs there...so just because you pay tons of money in taxes doesn't mean your town or schools will be better for it....that what irritates me about this area.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:42 PM

51 posts, read 136,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoverdi View Post
I always ask what are we paying our $13,000 in taxes for!!!!!!!!!!! It's more than a thousand a month, it's absolutely crazy. A real big chunk here on Long Island is for the school taxes, they take up a majority, but the rest, God knows............ They used to remove the sand out of the street after the winter, but that is happening less and less, then they constantly, and I mean constantly, paved the parking lots in the town. I mean how many times do we need the parking lots paved? A lot of the money here goes for salaries which are out of control. Our principal, a woman, who does do a good job, don't get me wrong, makes $225,000 a year, that a big salary. I know because the school board got so fed up with the high taxes and all, that they send out a paper with each school teacher's salary printed on it come August. The teachers don't like it one bit, but hey people want to know where this money is going. And, get this half the time, we are on austerity and they tell us they won't have sports, or no tissues, or no crayons for the kids. It blows your mind................ I was told about $2,500 for our new home, so we'll see, but it sure beats what I am paying here. Probably once we get our business up and running, we will sell the house in New York and move there permanently. You could never retire here without megga bucks, hence why all our old people are leaving and our younger ones who just got married move away, sad really.
where are you in NY? I grew up on LI now live in the hudson valley. I like it here a lot but the cost of living is killing us, especially with 3 little ones.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:25 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 3,660,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoverdi View Post
I always wondered why my in laws kept selling off chunks of their properties upstate but never asked why. It makes sense now. That's simply insane. RUN AWAY! You can still be Yankee fans (or Mets), but you won't get Y.E.S. in Arizona. Maybe on satellite?

I feel much better about paying my vehicle license tax now. Well, a little better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area