Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:39 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,311,267 times

Advertisements

True, a much smaller and less known facility, which I now see on Google.

Most people, however, when they think "Camp Pendleton" think of the very large base in California. Which would also be a much more logical place for Greatday to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 01:54 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,397,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
True, a much smaller and less known facility, which I now see on Google.

Most people, however, when they think "Camp Pendleton" think of the very large base in California. Which would also be a much more logical place for Greatday to be.
I have never heard of the one in California, so for me the logical choice was the one in Virginia Beach.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:11 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,258,795 times
I had a strange person come to the door. It was a man in his later 30's. He wore a werewolf mask and came with one child in a stroller. The child had to have been 15 months at the most. The guy didn't say trick or treat or anything. There was no bag or candy pail. I asked the man where do you want me to put the candy and he said you can put in in the baby's hand. This baby couldn't open her hand much less respond to commands. It was just weird so I stuck a piece in her cradle and the guy just left and didn't say thanks or anything. I know parents who bring babies with them to the door and dress them up which is fine but they usually come with other children as well. This was just one guy and a baby in a stroller.

After this year, my wife and I decided we aren't going to offer candy after 8 PM. It seems like the weirdos always come out after that time and this has been going on the last 3 years. What happens is older teenagers and drunk adults will come trick or treating and it's just creepy. So we turned our lights off around 8:30 because we noticed the trend. I had to go back out to the front yard an hour later and noticed there was a host of older people trick or treating and most houses had turned off their lights but they were scampering the streets to see if anyone was still offering candy.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:58 AM

2,776 posts, read 7,414,273 times
Had fewer than 10 visitors. That's surprising for a Halloween falling on a weekend night.

Two things happening:

-- During the housing boom a few years ago, a lot of young families got priced out of our neighborhood. Now, after the crash, houses are more affordable, but a lot of our retirement-age neighbors are holding on to their houses longer. It's going to take a while before my neighborhood cycles through to a new generation of "breeders." My wife and I are among a minority in the area right now.

-- We used to get lots of Spanish-speaking families who presumably came over from nearby Sunnyslope. We haven't seen them since the whole illegal immigration issue became really heated in 2006. I'm definitely not trying to start a debate about that issue -- just observing that when things got controversial, some of those families might have thought they'd be less welcome in nearby "Anglo" neighborhoods like mine.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:50 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,064,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I had a strange person come to the door. It was a man in his later 30's. He wore a werewolf mask and came with one child in a stroller. The child had to have been 15 months at the most. The guy didn't say trick or treat or anything. There was no bag or candy pail. I asked the man where do you want me to put the candy and he said you can put in in the baby's hand. This baby couldn't open her hand much less respond to commands. It was just weird so I stuck a piece in her cradle and the guy just left and didn't say thanks or anything. I know parents who bring babies with them to the door and dress them up which is fine but they usually come with other children as well. This was just one guy and a baby in a stroller.

After this year, my wife and I decided we aren't going to offer candy after 8 PM. It seems like the weirdos always come out after that time and this has been going on the last 3 years. What happens is older teenagers and drunk adults will come trick or treating and it's just creepy. So we turned our lights off around 8:30 because we noticed the trend. I had to go back out to the front yard an hour later and noticed there was a host of older people trick or treating and most houses had turned off their lights but they were scampering the streets to see if anyone was still offering candy.
Oh yes, we do the same thing! After 8 it's just a weird experience!
Boy, the little ones are so cute, but yes, we too had a couple of weirdos, a lot of older people without kids. I think there was a party down the street or something.
My six year old had a blast! My teens just helped hand out candy this year, finally too old to trick or treat. lol

Old 11-01-2009, 08:16 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,716,205 times
We expected less of a crowd this year and only bought one larger bag of candy. We were slammed and had large groups of smaller children in the early hours. We shut the lights off at 7 because it seemed like the bigger, more roudy groups were showing up and we were out of goodies.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:39 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,197,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I have never heard of the one in California, so for me the logical choice was the one in Virginia Beach.
Josh - the biggest Marine Corp base is Camp Pendleton, California.

Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-01-2009 at 05:30 PM..

Old 11-01-2009, 10:52 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,465,620 times
We got a lot more than last year. Mostly cute younger kids, not many sulky uncostumed teenagers.

A lot of the people in my neighborhood group together, put a portable firepit out in a driveway, and put lawnchairs around it with their own bags of candy. They stick signs on their doors directing the kids down to the fire, and the kids get one-stop-shopping for treats from all the neighbors. The neighbors enjoy drinking some tasty beverages.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:58 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,311,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
We got a lot more than last year. Mostly cute younger kids, not many sulky uncostumed teenagers.

A lot of the people in my neighborhood group together, put a portable firepit out in a driveway, and put lawnchairs around it with their own bags of candy. They stick signs on their doors directing the kids down to the fire, and the kids get one-stop-shopping for treats from all the neighbors. The neighbors enjoy drinking some tasty beverages.
That sounds like fun.. Good idea for a lot of neighborhoods in the Valley.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:14 AM

426 posts, read 1,303,995 times
We had our first Phoenix trick or treating last night. We live up in Tramonto near I-17 and Carefree Highway.

We went door to door with a some other friends in the neighborhood and probably stopped at around 20 houses or so. We didn't want to stay back at our own house, so we left the candy out on our doorstep with a sign asking they only take a couple of pieces. Once we returned about two hours later, the basket was empty.

We had a really good time and our oldest daughter that is 2 1/2 dumped her candy basket about 20 times this morning and put all the candy back in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area