Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 09:17 PM

10 posts, read 62,925 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a piece of jewelry from goodwill store here in the valley that may have some family importance to someone. After some research I think appears it would be from Britain during the Victorian era. It is not worth thousands but definitely more than the $4.00 I paid for it. Although it is not stamped, I did chemically test the metal and it appears to be a precious metal.

I will check this post for the next week or so to see if anyone can identify it. If so, I would be more than happy to try and get it back to the proper owner. If I can't find the proper owner in the next week or so, I will be selling it.

I would rather see it go back to the proper owner than make a couple/few tanks of gas off it.

Thanks,

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 09:44 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,254,288 times
Nice of you to do this. I wonder how many times this happens...we read about the valuable paintings gathering dust in attics and ending up in garage sales, and books too.... the Antiques Roadshow sometimes has stories like this... in fact, I think the Phoenix visit has one, if it makes it on the air, that was a garage sale find and turned out to be worth a lot more than the pittance paid. I hope you find the owner, and if not, I hope you make a good price for it.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:37 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,575,698 times
It could also have been donated by a family member who was getting rid of 'Aunt Mary's stuff' and didn't care - just tossed it all in bag. Happens way too often. I hope you find your donor, but if not, be happy knowing if you do sell it, it will go to someone who will appreciate and enjoy it.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:34 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,789,146 times
Interesting problem. Normally any donations that are dropped off at a store are sold at that store. The reason I mention this is because it helps to identify the area of the city that it may the original party may have lived in.

I’m with Yukon ~ I think someone may have passed on and got rid of Aunt Mary’s stuff that was left over from the estate sale. Sad to see things like this happen, but it’s thoughtful of people to try and find the rightful owner for family members.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:06 AM

9,593 posts, read 31,587,517 times
Impressive gesture, GetYourBone!

Old 11-02-2009, 09:56 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,325,306 times
Wow, what a concept! Getting somebody's valuables back to them?

Yeah, I guess there is a good percentage of valuable stuff which goes over to Goodwill, Salvation Army, and St Vincent de Paul - inadvertently, that is! I personally can't remember the last time I left the family jewels in one of my old jeans or jackets!

Old 11-02-2009, 10:58 AM

76 posts, read 219,746 times
Very nice of you to do this. Score one for the good guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area