Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:34 AM

39 posts, read 121,009 times

Advertisements

After a recent visit to phoenix to look for a rental property, I narrowd down my search to biltmore (24th and camelback) and downtown scottsdale by fasion mall, given the proximity to my future work place in downtown phoenix and appeal of these two areas (thanks to many of your suggestions).This will be only a temporary residence as we will purchase a house soon (hopefuly in about 6 months).
I seem to have a tough time deciding b/w the two areas and I was hoping to get some input/help from you. Things that I care about include safety, fun factor, proximity to shops/restaurants.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 11:22 AM

253 posts, read 376,283 times
Biltmore area, all the way. I lived in downtown Scottsdale near Fashion Square Mall and moved out very quickly because crime was so rampant. My girlfriend lived in the same area and had her car broken into twice. If you look up the statistics you will see that that zip code (85251) is among the highest.

Biltmore area is not only safer but it has a LOT more to do ... a much wider variety of restaurants and it's more convenient to the airport, downtown and the ballparks, etc. You're also right there close to Arcadia which is fantastic, and central and north-central Phoenix which really have a lot to offer. One thing about downtown Scottsdale is that if you're over 22 and no longer into the college scene, there's nothing to do there. Biltmore area however is full of young and middle-age professionals, especially at places like MercBar or Houston's.

What's neat about the Biltmore area is you have a lot of very wealthy people living there (Robert Kiyosaki, Paul Harvey, Amore Stoudemire, just to name a few) and yet it's not snobby, unlike Scottsdale.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevercoldcall View Post
Biltmore area, all the way. I lived in downtown Scottsdale near Fashion Square Mall and moved out very quickly because crime was so rampant. My girlfriend lived in the same area and had her car broken into twice. If you look up the statistics you will see that that zip code (85251) is among the highest.

Biltmore area is not only safer but it has a LOT more to do ... a much wider variety of restaurants and it's more convenient to the airport, downtown and the ballparks, etc. You're also right there close to Arcadia which is fantastic, and central and north-central Phoenix which really have a lot to offer. One thing about downtown Scottsdale is that if you're over 22 and no longer into the college scene, there's nothing to do there. Biltmore area however is full of young and middle-age professionals, especially at places like MercBar or Houston's.

What's neat about the Biltmore area is you have a lot of very wealthy people living there (Robert Kiyosaki, Paul Harvey, Amore Stoudemire, just to name a few) and yet it's not snobby, unlike Scottsdale.

Very helpful.
Thank you.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:43 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,954,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indylog View Post
After a recent visit to phoenix to look for a rental property, I narrowd down my search to biltmore (24th and camelback) and downtown scottsdale by fasion mall, given the proximity to my future work place in downtown phoenix and appeal of these two areas (thanks to many of your suggestions).This will be only a temporary residence as we will purchase a house soon (hopefuly in about 6 months).
I seem to have a tough time deciding b/w the two areas and I was hoping to get some input/help from you. Things that I care about include safety, fun factor, proximity to shops/restaurants.

Thank you

It's not that tough of a choice the Biltmore area is the way to go.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:52 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,354 times
Biltmore hands down.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:54 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,354 times
uh . . . it might be to early to say this and i might be jinxing it, but has there ever been an AZ thread where everyone was unanimous in choosing where to live between two locations, especially to locations which are commonly regarded as nice more upscale places to live? WOW!!! is it snowing in Phoenix right now?

Old 05-12-2007, 07:38 AM

8 posts, read 12,102 times
Maybe it's because one area finally finished their construction and the other hasn't

And I would agree - Biltmore.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:29 PM

132 posts, read 517,008 times
I also vote for the Biltmore!

Old 05-12-2007, 04:23 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,305,683 times
Let's give Scottsdale some credit. I think those new condos they are building by the "Scottsdale Waterfront" are really nice. There are also some nice condos just east of Old Town Scottsdale along Drinkwater Blvd and Indian school. I'm not sure if there are rentals in those areas though. The only apartments I know about nearby are in what is called "South Scottsdale," not the greatest area.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Let's give Scottsdale some credit. I think those new condos they are building by the "Scottsdale Waterfront" are really nice. There are also some nice condos just east of Old Town Scottsdale along Drinkwater Blvd and Indian school. I'm not sure if there are rentals in those areas though. The only apartments I know about nearby are in what is called "South Scottsdale," not the greatest area.

I was looking at the optima camelview, lots of vacancies, looks like a two bed/two bath can be leased for about 2000/mo. which is also the about the same for the one in biltmore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area