U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 12,048 times
Question Best hikes in Phoenix?

Hey everyone - where are your favorite hikes in and around the city? This collection is so cool, I can't wait to try some of them, but I'd like more options! Best Phoenix Hikes - Hiking Reviews for Central Arizona

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 12:02 PM

13,856 posts, read 16,506,530 times
Let's fix your link so it works:

Best Phoenix Hikes - Hiking Reviews for Central Arizona

The phoenix.about.com site has several links if you do searches on hiking.

There are several trails in the Superstitions, in South Mountain Park, in the White Tanks to the west, and in the Usery Mountain area outside Mesa.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:00 PM

1,520 posts, read 4,015,224 times
For me, the ideal hike is 5-10 miles with good elevation gain, nice views, and trailheads that can be reached with a regular car. These are my favorites:

Alta Trail at South Mountain (Phoenix) -- the least traveled part of South Mountain Park and a real workout; a little harder to reach due to road closure at South Mountain, but worth looking into.

Pass Mountain Trail at Usery Park (Mesa) -- Nice loop around a mountain with views of the Salt River in the distance.

Scenic Trail at McDowell Mountain Regional Park (Fountain Hills) -- A relatively easy five-mile loop with views of the Verde River and the Four Peaks.

Perl Charles Trail in the Phoenix Mountains Preserve -- A loop around the back side of Piestewa Peak. Much less busy than the crowded summit trail. Best place for access is the dead end of 22nd St. north of Lincoln Drive.

Sunrise Trail in the McDowell Sonoron Preserve (Scottsdale) -- Five miles one-way or 10 miles there-and-back. For the one-way option, it's best to have two cars, one at each end. Great workout and views.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:59 PM

461 posts, read 542,882 times
South Mountain Park: The Ahwatukee entrance near Guadalupe(next to a golf course). Go to the end of the entrance and take the trail next to the pavillion on the left(south) side. Take the trail up the hill to avoid mountain bikers. Lots of up and down, but generally gradually upward. You can go as far as your steam will take you...eventually meeting up with the National trail if you keep heading westward-ish. The further in you go the less people you'll see as most people don't realize you can loop back by descending into the valley if you go far enough. Sorry, I don't recall the name of this trail. I want to say Desert Classic but that might be the lower-level parallel trail and this one is more following the ridge of the mountains on top...not everything is mapped clearly on the websites. Parking can be busy on weekends, but you can usually park along the road with no hassles(at least the last time I was there).

Phoenix Mountain Preserve: I'm w/ silverbear; it's nice to get away from the crowded Piestewa Summit trail(and the fact that going down can be tough on the knees!). That's why I prefer trails branching off from the 32nd St entrance/trailhead. You can do a nice loop from here but you kind of need to know where you're going...it involves taking several different named short trails. Just look at the map at the trailhead and you can figure it out. If you get real ambitious, you can even walk all the way from here to Piestewa, do the Piestewa and hike back to 32nd St. Only thing is, you might have to park across the street in the shopping plaza w/ Frye's(??) since the trailhead parking is pretty limited.

PS. For those who have dogs, a lot of people bring the dogs on these trails and the dogs seem to love it. Me, I've got kitties...can barely get them into a car let alone on a walking trail!

Old 11-06-2009, 04:55 PM

215 posts, read 631,789 times
The Superstition Mountains is a beautiful hike...and I have heard good things about Camelback Mountain in Scottsdale as well

Old 11-06-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyse Margardino View Post
The Superstition Mountains is a beautiful hike...and I have heard good things about Camelback Mountain in Scottsdale as well
Camelback Mountain is very nice, but it's not located in Scottsdale. It's mostly within Phoenix city limits with some of its north side falling within the Town of Paradise Valley. The Camelback hiking trails are 100% within Phoenix.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:04 PM

215 posts, read 631,789 times
Eh, close enough

Old 11-06-2009, 05:04 PM

738 posts, read 1,188,388 times
Cool Hiking.....

The very best hikes in Arizona are far away from the city. The very best are located in the beautiful Superstition Mountains. Each and every one have a different appeal. So many utterly beautiful things to experience.

I have been to the Super's throughout the years and it is my favorite spot.

The tranquility of the Reeves ranch trail has to be my favorite. I love to find the water and the all the fascinating things that you encounter when you hike the Supers.

Bring plenty of water.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:35 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,240,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Camelback Mountain is very nice, but it's not located in Scottsdale. It's mostly within Phoenix city limits with some of its north side falling within the Town of Paradise Valley. The Camelback hiking trails are 100% within Phoenix.
True, but most of the foothills are along the Phoenix/Scottsdale border, it's very close to Scottsdale, only a few streets away.

I've always enjoyed Squaw Peak.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyse Margardino View Post
Eh, close enough
Unfortunately, the collective effect of a lot of little "close enough" statements about the Phoenix / Scottsdale border had led to the misassignment of huge swatches of Phoenix territory to Scottsdale in the popular imagination. Just today, AAA announced its 5-Diamond lodging award winners and claimed that all five Arizona winners are in Scottsdale. In reality, two are in Phoenix, one is in Paradise Valley, and two are in Scottsdale. Things like this happen everyday. It's bad enough for the main city in the region to be eclipsed by its eastern suburb, but even worse when it's based on misperceptions of where the border lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
True, but most of the foothills are along the Phoenix/Scottsdale border, it's very close to Scottsdale, only a few streets away.

I've always enjoyed Squaw Peak.
The Cholla trailhead is within a few blocks of Scottsdale, but the Echo Canyon trailhead and most of the trail itself are much closer to Paradise Valley than Scottsdale.

Along Camelback Road, the Scottsdale border is at 64th St. / Invergordon. Half a mile to the north, the border jogs east -- almost as far east as Scottsdale Road. Most people seem to think the border is much farther to the west than it really is. Of course, on a hiking trail it's hard to know what city one is in, but this issue is still a pet peeve of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area