Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 12:48 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,983 times

Advertisements

I full back up canudigits post! Great objective post and not an usual experience for people who come here for nothing other than sunshine.

Seeing as though you said you loved the south, the ocean etc. I'm guessing that you dont despise humidity as much as the people that live in AZ do. Humidity is the trade off to live near water and greenery, the dryness of AZ is something people love, but to me its a constant nagging reminder that there is absolutely no water around.

However we do have at least a few miserable months where not only do we have high temps but we also have high humidity too, and still no water! (except for backyard swimming pools)

Since you dont have any family here you will need to get all of your satisfaction from your environment, so seriously think about what else you enjoy besides nonstop sunshine. Thats one criteria. How are you likely to spend your days in all this sunshine? If you don't enjoy what the city has, which is golf courses, resort, and plenty of hiking, you might find yourself sitting indoors in the comfort of your air conditioning rather than going outside and doing anything with the sunshine.

It may sound hard to believe but it gets very monotonous and as I read in here before, its really hard to be excited about the sun when it NEVER goes away!! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 01:18 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Thank you, Cmist. I did try to be objective, thanks for noticing.

To the OP: you mentioned that you are on unemployment, but don't unemployment benefits come from the state in which you are unemployed? If so, then wouldn't MA stop paying you when you moved out of state and wouldn't you have to go through all of the steps of applying for unemployment in AZ, which may include a period of looking for a job, plus time allowed for all of the paperwork, etc. that is involved? I could be wrong, but I don't think that unemployment carries from state to state.

Also, even if your dh is a great mechanic and gets along great with people...without job opportunities available, that won't help him. I am an RN. I have been one for almost 20 years. I have consistently gotten positive performance reviews from my supervisors in the nursing profession and have ten solid years of hospital nursing experience. I get along great with people. I couldn't find a job in the Phoenix area to save my life. I applied for every nursing job that I was qualified for, and I didn't get one call. Seriously, make sure your dh has a job offer, in writing, before he goes to AZ. Even if you believe in karma, you still need to have a secure job lined up. Karma will not buy groceries. Good luck!

Last edited by canudigit; 11-07-2009 at 01:48 PM..

Old 11-07-2009, 02:01 PM

49 posts, read 107,710 times
The state you worked in is where the unemployment comes from. Unemployment is transferable from your home state in a way. That state continues to pay it according to that states amount. Yes you have to contact the local unemployment office and go through the same process but the state you worked in pays you according to their amounts and guidelines. etc.

You say you are an RN and had trouble finding work. Here is a possible reason why ~ unfortunately age discrimination is common and if you are over 35 or so it is hard to find work. Can you speak spanish? (Neither of us can) Also are you male or female? I used to work in the medical field and I saw it all the time. They did not want to hire flamboyant gay men or older nurses. It is not fair but that is how things ar esometimes. I could be mistaken. In Miami if you are not bilingual forget getting a job. I assume being bilingual is equally necessary there due to a large Mexican pop.

Cmist, I am a couch potato and hope to change that. I have dealt with depression since my son died this July and have not ventured out doors much in the last year since I was his caregiver 100% of the time before he died.

As for the job thing- There are jobs for those who want them even if they are minimum wage and not in a chosen field. Anyone who wants to work can. It might be something as dreaded as flipping burgers but there is work if one is desperate. Though those choices are not for everyone and I do not knock those who won't take them.

Also men get hired for physical labor jobs often and women seldom do . If things get truly desperate there are day labor positions as well. Also he is an excellent mechanic and will earn a reputation as such and perhaps get lots of side jobs at least if he does not find work right away. though I suspect that he will have trouble with the climate and the sun since he is a fairskinned Englishman. I plan to move in late Feb or early March to try to acclimate gently to the climate.

the job market where we are is actually worse based on national unemployment data.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukusagirl39 View Post
Cmist, I am a couch potato and hope to change that. I have dealt with depression since my son died this July and have not ventured out doors much in the last year since I was his caregiver 100% of the time before he died.
Very sorry about your son, thats terrible.

Seems I have become a bit of a couch potato as of late and its why I have the time to be messing around on a forum like this. I would love to change that as well but the array of things to do in Phoenix doesnt motivate me personally to get out and do anything.

Aside from taking road trips away from Phoenix, take note at the list of things to do. They largely involve leaving your air conditioned home, getting into your air conditioned car, and driving someplace else to spend time in a different air conditioned building. You will see plenty of sun through the windows guaranteed.

Ways to spend quality and enjoyable time outdoors outside are very limited and most favorable to golfers and poolside lounging at resorts, hiking, (said that a million times I know, sorry!) The people in the forum even back it up when they say numerous times over that its too hot to build anything here that is truly an outdoors experience.

There are no creeks to dip your toes in, or boats to watch, like you said about the south.

This is a little off base, but I find it necessary to say this. I think from your original post and the things you said you enjoy that you aren't going to find any real companionship in the locals. The only way to bond with the crowd here is to enjoy discussing how much you hate all other parts of the country, humidity, rain, snow, etc. Its true, no one is really from here and it has attracted a population of people that have run away from other places and now sit around discussing how much they hate the places they came from. Since your post mentioned that you loved the south, that is enough to make me believe that you are really different than most that live here.

Count how many times any of the others have said they loved anywhere else other than here and you'll see what I mean.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:16 PM

well I have to say that is part of what intrigues me about phoenix. I know of a few who moved to Az and never came back to the northen states. Most of the people seem happy enough there. the problem is when there is a rant or a rave about phoenix it is hard to judge since I know nothing about the person posting it. What would be a bad neighborhood to some would be middle class to others. Poor wages to some would be acceptable to others.

I wish I were a people person but I am not. Most people suck most of the time and maintaining a friendship requires effort and I have little to contribute to a friendship right now. Like I said I am a home body but hope to change that. I need ot change that.

I would like to volunteer with dogs or something at the humane society and lose this 40 year old stretch that has attacked me in the last 2 years since I hit 40 and stopped smoking!

IDK I am beginning to wonder if I am going to be happy anywhere. I guess I hope the change of scenery and climate etc will keep me too busy to be depressed! also I gre up here in MA and left at 21 I had to come back 3 years ago for a divorce and even though it is familiar I hate it here. I have lived in the south since I was 21. I only came here for my son to get healthcare and to be closer to my other children.

I miss the sun . Somehow it chages your mood it is like you have no choice it just happens lol. Honestly I hate the cold and also hate the oppressive humidity of the south and mosquitos!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 03:44 PM

I hear ya. Based on your last post, it sounds like you will find ways to like it here, because you want to like it here. Your original post sounded like the things you are interested in are things that don't exist here.

If youve read other things I wrote, then you know I'm not known for spreading cheer about Phoenix but not because Im a miserable person. I just have a perspective other than the typical and maybe some people will be looking for both sides. You have much heavier things weighing in on you than making friends with neighbors, so a change and distractions from your normal routine will be the ticket for the short term. And if all you need is clear skies all the time to cheer up, this is the place.

From living here my whole life, I'm the opposite. I perk up when there is cloud cover! Our whole family goes outside like worms crawling out of the mud when there is a rainstorm since its so rare. But I understand some people have the entirely opposite experience and find the absence of all weather patterns much nicer.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:02 PM

lol I like the idea of you all being worms in the mud. It conjurs up an interesting visual lol. I had my share of rain in Georgia and Florida indeed. I am also what I like to call a realist and what others would call a pessimist. I find it much easier to find the bad than the good in most situations.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukusagirl39 View Post
lol I like the idea of you all being worms in the mud. It conjurs up an interesting visual lol. I had my share of rain in Georgia and Florida indeed. I am also what I like to call a realist and what others would call a pessimist. I find it much easier to find the bad than the good in most situations.
You sound like an easy going, open minded person. I wish you the best no matter where you pick to live.

Careful though... if you move here and end up not liking it over time, people will consider you some form of genetic mutant!! haha, just kidding, they will just tell you to shut up and move.

I hope you understand I am also a realist too and not a pessimist, although everyone misinterprets it like you said.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:21 PM

Yeah I know what you mean. I have never lived anywhere longer than 5 years so I guess I am a bit of a gypsy at heart. But I am getting too old for such nonsense. It is time for me to find a place to settle. There is no perfect place that I can afford to live in anyway lol! My daughter has graciously offered to let us come live with her until we found a place in Hawaii. I might as well try to get aplace in uptown Manhattan lol. I have to consider a few different things when considering to move. I have actually made a list of 21 reasons to move to Phoenix. Now I need to make a "cons' list.

21 REASONS TO MOVE TO PHOENIX

1. LOTS OF MECHANIC JOBS !
2. CHEAP RENT BIGGER SINGLE FAMILY HOUSE!
3. LESS THAN $50 TOTAL TO GET A DRIVERS LICENSE, TITLE AND REGISTRATION FOR CAR!!
4. 300 DAYS OF SUN PER YEAR NO WINTER AND NO HUMIDITY
5. BETTER AIR QUALITY AND WARMER CLIMATE IS BETTER FOR ATHRITIS AND OTHER STUFF
6. TONS OF CAREER COLLEGES FOR SOCIAL WORK ETC
7. INFOPASS OFFICE RIGHT IN PHOENIX
8. YOU DONT NEED A PERMIT TO BUY A GUN!
9. IT IS A 4 HOUR DRIVE TO NOGALES MEXICO AND THE SEA OF CORTEZ
10. IT IS A 4 HOUR DRIVE FROM THE GRAND CANYON
11. SKI AREAS AND SNOW LESS THAN 4 HOURS DRIVE IN WINTER
12. IT COSTS ABOUT $300 IN GAS TO DRIVE A CAR THERE FROM HERE
13. I WILL NOT BE AS DEPRESSED DUE TO THE SUN (SAD)
14. I WILL GET OVER MY VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY ALSO
15. PRETTY PALM TREES AND I COULD GROW CACTI!
16. THE SPEED LIMIT IS 75 MPH ON THE HWY
17. IT IS A 5 HOUR DRIVE TO LAS VEGAS NEVADA
18. iT IS A 6 HOUR DRIVE TO DISNEYLAND IN ANAHEIM CA
19. INCOME TAX IS SERIOUSLY CHEAP FOR LOWER INCOME PEOPLE. HERE ARE SOME OF THE TAX BRACKETS
Personal income tax is collected in five different brackets of 2.87%, 3.20%, 3.74%, 4.72% and 5.04%
20. THERE ARE NO GNATS OR MOSQUITOS IN AZ
21. WE ARE NOT THE MINORITY[/SIZE]
BASED ON 2007 CENSUS DATA HERE ARE SOME STATS:
UNEMPLOYMENT HERE IS 11.60 PERCENT AND THERE ITS ONLY 7.90 EST
INCOME TAX HERE IS 6% THERE IT IS 3% EST
Population in July 2008: 1,567,924. Population change since 2000: +18.7%

Races in Phoenix
White Non-Hispanic (55.8%)
]Hispanic (34.1%)
Other race (16.4%)
Black (5.1%)
Two or more races (3.3%)
American Indian (2.7%)

Last edited by ukusagirl39; 11-07-2009 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: poor font

Old 11-07-2009, 04:34 PM

I wouldn't list air quality as a PRO. Start your cons list with that one. Its very dry, polluted and dusty. Many people that never had allergies develop them here. The lack of humidity probably keeps a lot of junk airborne. At times of the year, we find it absolutely necessary to put a humidifier on just to open up the nasal pasages. (hardly a reason NOT to move here, just a fact)

Also, We have mosquitoes, maybe not as many as woodsy wet places, but they do exist here. (again, very minor point)

As far as the other stuff, I either agree or know nothing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area