Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 04:40 PM

49 posts, read 107,632 times

Advertisements

ok here is the beginning of my cons list

REASONS NOT TO MOVE TO PHOENIX

1. HUBBY HATES THE HEAT - however he liked GA
2. WE ARE NOT BILINGUAL
3. NO SECURE RENTAL
4. FAR FROM MOM
5. DON'T KNOW ANYONE THERE
6. EXPENSE OF MOVING
7. STRESS OF MOVING
8. NO READY SIDE JOBS FOR HUBBY
9. CANNOT BRING HUBBYS TRUCK
10. MONSOONS AND POISONOUS SNAKES!

Last edited by ukusagirl39; 11-07-2009 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: html stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 05:06 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,663,962 times
sounds like im building a case for Phoenix but I wouldnt worry to much about not being bilingual. sure it might help you get certain jobs that look for people that are, but even if you were, its not easy to get a job. For any other reason, being bilingual is a non-issue.

Also, poisonous snakes is not really a concern either. I havent encountered even 1 in 30+ years. Thats something more to be careful about if you go hiking and stray off a trail.

As for monsoons, I wouldnt worry about those either. Its hard to imagine now, but once you live here long enough and haven't seen thunderstorms all year long, they may be a welcome change. You know they will be gone soon enough the eternal sunshine will be back.

I would say this... your "gypsy" heart as you say is the #1 con in my eyes. I doubt that for the LONG haul, Phoenix will have the necessary culture, charm, and diversity that would tame a gypsy heart and make them say, aaaah, this is home.

For the short term, sure, the novelty of a new place will be all it takes. But when you start yearning for the things you originally wrote, and don't find them here, loving the sunshine will have to be enough to make you forget about all that.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:10 PM

Sadly you could be right. Maybe , just maybe I will settle. I mean I am over 40 now and moving is quite tedious and costly and my dogs are NOT going to like the trip I am sure! Perhaps I will find a hobby or become a hiking fitness freak. Though not likely lol
Who can really predict the future?

Old 11-07-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukusagirl39 View Post
Who can really predict the future?
GYPSIES!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:23 PM

hahaha! That was good.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:55 PM

oh and hey, i dont recommend you give up. I only gave you one CON geez,

AND I took off 2 cons from your own list.

Maybe you will like it and never want to go back. Otherwise it will leave you with a renewed appreciation for the things you are taking for granted now, and thats worth something too. Whats one more stint for a gypsy?

Old 11-07-2009, 06:08 PM

How true. I am burnt out from looking at everything Arizona all day today! Hubby is not a risk taker and does not like adventure. He is content in our little apartment in the ghetto lol. My powers of persuasion have waned along with the newness of our marriage. It will be a year in December.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:11 PM

683 posts, read 2,650,441 times
Quote:
I have osteoarthritis and "supposedly" fibromyalgia so I guess the heat is good for me?
Relief from arthritis pain might be the biggest benefit you would get from moving to Arizona. The dry heat will make you feel much better and allow you to become more active.

I took a trip back to Illinois this summer and was reminded of the big difference that humidity makes on how I feel.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:00 PM

Thanks Billy for that info. My back and knees hurt daily as well as my feet! The only thing that seems to help is heat thogh the doctor says heat causes inflamation and I should use cold instead.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:07 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Thanks Billy for that info. My back and knees hurt daily as well as my feet! The only thing that seems to help is heat thogh the doctor says heat causes inflamation and I should use cold instead.
The air temperature that is best for arthritis, and what temperature you should apply directly to an area (ice pack vs heating pad) are two different things. The warm dry air is better, generally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area