U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 08:00 PM

2,357 posts, read 3,083,793 times

Advertisements

I've been here a few weeks. Job took me here instead of Oregon. I need snow. Today.

What is the closest area to Phoenix where I can get some snow action?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 08:08 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,547,015 times
Places that DO snow, dont generally snow enough to have ground cover this time of year, so good luck in that regard.

Also, the closest place may not be the funnest place to interact with snow since you will just be on the outskirts of another city. Unless all you want is to view it on the roadside.

My guess is Flagstaff, but check the weather reports. And then if you actually want to be able to relax somewhere in the snow as opposed to viewing black snow on the roadside, you may want to head up the Mt where snowbowl is and find someplace there to relax. Figure on a 2.5 hr drive to the area.

Closer places like Prescott, I believe have less cumulative snowfall and are less likely than Flag, but I could be mistaken.

Look at weather reports for places like Payson, Prescott, Flagstaff and the smaller surrounding cities.

The white mountains is the other area that gets snow, but its probably closer to 4.5 hour drive in total to get to the highest elevations like Sunrise,Greer,Pinetop,Lakeside.

Im probably leaving something out but someone else will chime in. Im interested myself if anyone is aware of something better. I like the snow too.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:26 PM

17,343 posts, read 20,506,887 times
Forecast around Sunrise Ski Resort is for about a foot over the next couple days. It's a good 5 hours away. Otherwise, usually not much snow that will stick down below 7000 feet until it gets a little colder - maybe Jan.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:31 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,412,634 times
Snow has fallen in Flagstaff, but I have no idea if there is any on the ground or not, my guess is no.

I checked the weather, they're expecting 1 inch of snow tonight above 6000 feet.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:07 PM

926 posts, read 1,067,832 times
Globe-Miami area get some snow. So does North Phoenix, Cave Creek, Apache Junction, the fringes of East Mesa. These places get some snow dusting, typically to last for about a few hours or a few days. But the closer you are to the Phoenix metro area narrows the chances of snow, snow accumulation, and the amount of time it takes for it to melt.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Globe-Miami area get some snow. So does North Phoenix, Cave Creek, Apache Junction, the fringes of East Mesa. These places get some snow dusting, typically to last for about a few hours or a few days. But the closer you are to the Phoenix metro area narrows the chances of snow, snow accumulation, and the amount of time it takes for it to melt.
You won't find snow in any of those towns, at least not on a yearly basis, maybe once every few years but it's not snow unless you can go play in it!

Old 12-04-2009, 04:04 AM

2,249 posts, read 786,468 times
Clean out your freezer and hop inside. There. Snow. Today. Presto. Chango.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:13 PM

926 posts, read 1,067,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
You won't find snow in any of those towns, at least not on a yearly basis, maybe once every few years but it's not snow unless you can go play in it!
That's kind of how I ment it, except East Mesa. It snows on the mountains around here every winter/spring

Old 12-05-2009, 01:58 AM

23 posts, read 39,009 times
Default Snow Addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
I've been here a few weeks. Job took me here instead of Oregon. I need snow. Today.

What is the closest area to Phoenix where I can get some snow action?

Thanks.
I have some friends who moved here from Michigan to get away (I thought, anyway) from the snow and ice there. They ended up finding a place cheaply and work in Flagstaff. All you have to do is get on the Black Canyon Freeway (I-17) and drive North. It will only take a couple hours and you can be there. There are other places up North. Prescott Valley in nice. Also, if you want to go slightly different direction you can head up to or past Payson. I would suggest a fishing cabin in a rustic area name Christopher Creek. There is a place there called the Grey Hackle Lodge on the highway that has fireplaces and they will bring the firewood to your wood box on the front porch, they have different size cabins. One year several friends of mine and myself did Thankgiving there, it was beautiful. The whole gist of it, I guess is GO NORTH! You can get to the mogion rim by taking Shea Boulevard out past Fountain Hills to where it ends at the highway and go North from there, you will see the signs for Payson, Kohl's Ranch, Heber, Snowflake, etc. as you follow along. The highway going up from Payson is next to the MacDonalds on the main road through town. Enjoy. Oh, by the way, up past Flagstaff what we call "the snow bowl" area and The grand canyon. Have fun.
Arizona Mildman

Old 12-05-2009, 02:00 AM

Christopher Creek is one of my favorite places to camp in Arizona, great recommendation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area