U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2009, 05:02 PM
 
266 posts, read 216,589 times
Reputation: 379

Advertisements

Would anyone know which places in the valley fry turkeys for you for Thanksgiving. I think Baby Kays in Phoenix does, but not sure. Would I really like to try is the Hawaiin Style where they bury it in a pit to cook it. Dont think any places in phoenix do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2009, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
8,680 posts, read 10,044,437 times
Reputation: 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxrider View Post
Would anyone know which places in the valley fry turkeys for you for Thanksgiving. I think Baby Kays in Phoenix does, but not sure. Would I really like to try is the Hawaiin Style where they bury it in a pit to cook it. Dont think any places in phoenix do that.
I have not heard of a turkey buried in a pit, a pig maybe? Fried turkey is in a vat of oil cooked on a propane-fired burner It can be brined and marinated or injected, and rubbed with many flavors. I was going to do this, but am turned another way with a vat of peanut oil being darn near $50 here....so think will do on the grill....I am sad, was so looking forward to a fried turkey....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
3,995 posts, read 6,316,509 times
Reputation: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I have not heard of a turkey buried in a pit, a pig maybe? Fried turkey is in a vat of oil cooked on a propane-fired burner It can be brined and marinated or injected, and rubbed with many flavors. I was going to do this, but am turned another way with a vat of peanut oil being darn near $50 here....so think will do on the grill....I am sad, was so looking forward to a fried turkey....
When I lived in the South, deep fried turkey was common. It was soooo good, but sooooo bad for you, LOL! I'd rather have fried turkey than baked it just seems more dry to me from the oven. But that's why I just pour our Thanksgiving salsa all over the turkey, LOL! And I do believe Baby Kay's fries turkeys for clients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
8,680 posts, read 10,044,437 times
Reputation: 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
When I lived in the South, deep fried turkey was common. It was soooo good, but sooooo bad for you, LOL! I'd rather have fried turkey than baked it just seems more dry to me from the oven. But that's why I just pour our Thanksgiving salsa all over the turkey, LOL! And I do believe Baby Kay's fries turkeys for clients.
Fried is for sure better, and I do with stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy from separate turkey parts roasted to add to those...the star is the fried gobbler Alright...what is Thanksgiving salsa? and I want to go ethnic if that is okay for Christmas...maybe another thread but pit turkey is not a good thing, I don't think... I really want to do tamales and need a tried and true recipe...maybe another thread for AZ-ethnic foods...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
3,995 posts, read 6,316,509 times
Reputation: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Fried is for sure better, and I do with stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy from separate turkey parts roasted to add to those...the star is the fried gobbler Alright...what is Thanksgiving salsa? and I want to go ethnic if that is okay for Christmas...maybe another thread but pit turkey is not a good thing, I don't think... I really want to do tamales and need a tried and true recipe...maybe another thread for AZ-ethnic foods...
LOL, probably, I'd have to ask my great aunt for a tamale recipe for sure. Thanksgiving salsa is a hot sauce thickened with tomato, or tomato paste, or sauce, etc that uses roasted chiles del arbol a.k.a. chiles Japoneses...it is really good and a deep red color!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
8,680 posts, read 10,044,437 times
Reputation: 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
LOL, probably, I'd have to ask my great aunt for a tamale recipe for sure. Thanksgiving salsa is a hot sauce thickened with tomato, or tomato paste, or sauce, etc that uses roasted chiles del arbol a.k.a. chiles Japoneses...it is really good and a deep red color!
Go to great aunt then...I am not wasting time and effort, expense on an internet recipe for this Share please or any other holiday foods, I am enjoying the heck out of AZ, and need to learn about the chiles...now salt-dough ornaments with cookie cutters to dry and then paint...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 07:09 PM
 
559 posts, read 932,536 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxrider View Post
Would I really like to try is the Hawaiin Style where they bury it in a pit to cook it. Dont think any places in phoenix do that.
I do that every year and love it. Tons of people do it over the valley I"m sure you can find somewhere to do it. Ask Mormons friends if you have any, they always seem to have turkey pits going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
8,680 posts, read 10,044,437 times
Reputation: 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
I do that every year and love it. Tons of people do it over the valley I"m sure you can find somewhere to do it. Ask Mormons friends if you have any, they always seem to have turkey pits going on.
For real, turkey in the ground...I need to know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
264 posts, read 1,155,011 times
Reputation: 172
Stacy's BBQ does them as well - Home Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 09:27 AM
 
845 posts, read 1,483,108 times
Reputation: 288
The oil will go rancid after 30 days, so that does make it cost prohibitive. Those things are also the Fire Department's nightmare. I will predict at least one torched home in the Valley from the deep fried turkey's. Heck with the way home values have declined, that number may be much higher.

Last edited by adolpho; 11-17-2009 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top