Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times

Advertisements

I lived in Florence years ago. To a large extent, with the prisons there, the town is pretty self-supporting. With respect to the influx of new construction, I can't imagine going down there to commute to Phoenix proper on a daily basis. There were, and are, closer in options than Florence if people who lived and worked in PHOENIX were looking for cheaper housing. Casa Grande, Maricopa, all a much shorter drive if the commute was to Phoenix. I would think that a lot of the people who moved down to Florence and weren't taking jobs at one of the nearby prisons were working in the East Valley, which hasn't been immune to job losses, either. Hence the foreclosures in the Florence area. It doesn't seem as affected as Maricopa, for instance, though, perhaps because it DOES have employers there, while Maricopa really doesn't.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,663,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I lived in Florence years ago. To a large extent, with the prisons there, the town is pretty self-supporting. With respect to the influx of new construction, I can't imagine going down there to commute to Phoenix proper on a daily basis. There were, and are, closer in options than Florence if people who lived and worked in PHOENIX were looking for cheaper housing. Casa Grande, Maricopa, all a much shorter drive if the commute was to Phoenix. I would think that a lot of the people who moved down to Florence and weren't taking jobs at one of the nearby prisons were working in the East Valley, which hasn't been immune to job losses, either. Hence the foreclosures in the Florence area. It doesn't seem as affected as Maricopa, for instance, though, perhaps because it DOES have employers there, while Maricopa really doesn't.
I have no idea of the logistics of who would live there and commute elsewhere. But the housing grew disproportionate to the demand as well as the job market. There was little new happening within the town of Florence to warrant the number of new homes that sprang out of nowhere.

My small statement of Florence was a city affected by the Phx housing boom ballooned into an argument where he is trying to paint a picture that I am some clueless liar, when everything I am saying is in fact accurate.

I also have no clue to what degree its self supporting, but to say it can survive without Phx would NOT be true. We are even supplying their prison and DOC with the criminals they are working to house. That is my point. To say it was NOT affected by the Phx housing bubble would not be true either. Thats the end of my point, I dont see what is left to debate.

Last edited by cmist; 11-17-2009 at 10:21 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I have no idea of the logistics of who would live there and commute elsewhere. But the housing grew disproportionate to the demand as well as the job market. There was little new happening within the town of Florence to warrant the number of new homes that sprang out of nowhere.

My small statement of Florence was a city affected by the Phx housing boom ballooned into an argument where he is trying to paint a picture that I am some clueless liar, when everything I am saying is in fact accurate.

I also have no clue to what degree its self supporting, but to say it can survive without Phx would NOT be true. We are even supplying their prison and DOC with the criminals they are working to house. That is my point. To say it was NOT affected by the Phx housing bubble would not be true either. Thats the end of my point, I dont see what is left to debate.
" But the housing grew disproportionate to the demand as well as the job market. There was little new happening within the town of Florence to warrant the number of new homes that sprang out of nowhere."

Ok, this is one of those statements where proof would be of the utmost importance. I've given proof to the contrary of this statement but have yet to see any from you. Although you did state in the Florence thread that these are your "beliefs."

"I also have no clue to what degree its self supporting, but to say it can survive without Phx would NOT be true. We are even supplying their prison and DOC with the criminals they are working to house. "

This is not a good argument. Phoenix isn't the only city that send people to Florence as it is a state prison. It also takes in prisoners from other states whose systems cannot take anymore prisoners. If Phoenix didn't send anyone to Florence, it would find prisoners from elsewhere.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:01 PM

555 posts, read 1,653,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPDL View Post
Nemmert...we are in Camden County in a 1,100 sq foot 3 bed 1 bath rancher home. Where do you reside?
We're looking at a place in Gloucester county, Williamstown. Had the home inspection today.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:08 PM

555 posts, read 1,653,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
If you are good parents, can afford to live in a decent place, and your kid is halfway intelligent you have nothing to worry about.
If you are a bad parents, live in a crappy part of town, and your kid is a dunce you should be very worried. Most schools have programs for "gifted kids" so even if you fail at life and your kid is smart he will be fine.

I think you are looking in the wrong places. I'm guessing that if you pay 10 grand in property taxes now, and you'll make the same salary here, you will live far away from any of these places. That should also alleviate most concerns about the schools too.
My parents are in Gilbert and the work I've done in the area is often in Old Scottsdale. Driving between the two I see a lot of brick block homes with graffiti. I haven't gone near down town Phoenix or any of the "bad" areas. Again, we're simply spoiled in Suburban NJ.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:14 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,620,806 times
Quote:
I could be seen as an AZ basher, but I will refrain from outright skewering the place. I'll only comment on your current remarks and perceptions.

I would never use the word spiritual to describe Phoenix. Sure there are plenty of churches, but the real popular churches here are built on a very grand scale, and seem impersonal and materialistic. Looking in the parking lot reveals fleets of expensive cars, and every other car has a church provided bumper sticker. To me it feels like many of the most popular churches out here are more like a large cult than genuine spiritualism. Again, my opinion only. I also realize you may find the desert to just be in general a "spiritual" place, but you wont feel like you are in the desert. Most views, as I have read in other peoples threads are going to be of "the front yard of your neighbor".

As far as nice people go, I am from Long Island myself so I have a little bit of directness to me (without the NY accent though since Ive been here about 30 years.) Im not really fond of dancing around subjects and taking 30 minutes to say what a New Yorker will say in 3 seconds. I've since learned to bite my tongue, and just smile and agree at risk of making enemies. (I do this in real life but not among strangers in a forum)

You may have to do that as well, since there arent many people here that like bluntness, its a much more PC crowd here. You may enjoy the niceties for awhile, but if its in your blood to say it like it is, you will probably be viewed as a rude East Coaster. But on the brighter side, even if they cant stand you, they will still wave to you from their driveway rather than start a confrontation.

On some positive notes, I live in Peoria and I can see my kids genuinely enjoy their school. They have great friends, get good grades and there are almost all families up here. Its a good place for families.

Property taxes are a complete bargain too --- compared to most places.

I have a relative who just moved from Old Bridge, NJ right down the street from me and he absolutely loves it. Many of the relatives I have moved here long ago and love it as well, but there are others who want to go back too.

Those that love it cant rave enough about clean streets, dry heat, low humidity, and the like. Those that dont like it, miss the seasons, the beaches, cheap mass transit to the city, even little things like hot dog stands, knishes, etc. Small things that are easy to get there are hard to find here.

Regardless, If you are intent on making a go of it here, nothing anyone can say will stop you. If you want to like it here, you will. Over time you will be able to formulate your own opinions and compare for yourself what you prefer.

As a side note, I started a thread in the Long Island forum asking if anyone there had moved to AZ thinking it was the ticket, but came back to Long Island with a renewed appreciation. It might be an interesting thread for you to follow as well to see that angle.

Best of luck!
Beautifully said. "The Grass Always Looks Greener in Someone's Else Backyard?"

Old 11-18-2009, 10:28 PM

29 posts, read 71,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
We're looking at a place in Gloucester county, Williamstown. Had the home inspection today.
Yeah Williamstown is nice, more land, more rural then Camden County.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:08 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
I also have no clue to what degree its self supporting, but to say it can survive without Phx would NOT be true.
I'm not sure what you really mean by "get by without Phoenix", but in many respects, Florence "got by without Phoenix" for decades before this housing boom. In many respects, it still does.

The comment about Phoenix "providing the prisoners at the prison is, of course, partly true, but if that's the sort of thing you mean by not being able to "get by without Phoenix", then it just sounds a bit silly. There's more than one prison in Pinal County, by the way-- there's a federal one as well for one, It doesn't really have anything to do with Phoenix.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,663,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I'm not sure what you really mean by "get by without Phoenix", but in many respects, Florence "got by without Phoenix" for decades before this housing boom. In many respects, it still does.

The comment about Phoenix "providing the prisoners at the prison is, of course, partly true, but if that's the sort of thing you mean by not being able to "get by without Phoenix", then it just sounds a bit silly. There's more than one prison in Pinal County, by the way-- there's a federal one as well for one, It doesn't really have anything to do with Phoenix.
This topic was beat to death in a different thread, but heres a summary.

I had made a simple remark earlier that florence was one of many cities in the Phx area that had done some overbuilding and had experienced foreclosures as a result of the phx housing bubble. There was an opposing viewpoint that nothing Phx does affects Florence.

I have since identified that the root of the disagreement is due to the fact that the reports in the media are using homes with a "florence" mailing addresses to supply data. And it is that portion of housing that most assuredly was built during the bubble and failed like the rest of Phx during the collapse.

Furthermore, many of those new areas that are pretty far from the town core, have since been annexed into the city limits, making the original quaint jail town of Florence something much larger than they may have remembered.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
closed for review

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area