Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:32 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
The Arizona Alternative Fuels plate registered to a hybrid (originally just the Honda Insight, Civic Hybrid, and Toyota Prius) are issued a small hybrid sticker that goes between the first and second halves of the serial. This gives them the right to use the HOV lane during HOV hours even while driving solo. Hybrids and other modified vehicles who do not have this plate AND sticker are not allowed to do that. You can get the plate for any car, but you have to have it on a hybrid to get the sticker.
What I think a lot of people don't realize (due to the fact that a lot of people don't pay attention, especially to signage) is that the HOV restrictions only apply during the posted hours. I think it's 0600-0900 and 1500-1900, and only Monday through Friday. Outside of those hours, the HOV lane is a regular lane, usable by anyone in any vehicle.
I just got back from a night out in Scottsdale, OMG, don't know if I'm going to make it in at 8am...crap!

Well, I think you nailed it. However, my parent's have a Malibu (Cheby I mean Chevy, Cheby is the Mexican pronunciation LMAO) hybrid and have the plate that allows them to use the HOV lane during restricted hours. They also have an SUV that is huge but a natural gas vehicle that qualified for the special plate and use of HOV lanes during restricted hours as well. The program has been extended to match new technology. Motorcycles ARE allowed use of the HOV lane with or without the special plate at any time during the day.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:07 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
It does not surprise me.

I drive alone and never get in the HOV lanes. I also use the turn signal lever as a matter of safety and to be courteous to other drivers. But I grew up in a small town so i'm guilty of not being rude.

The average American breaks several laws a day without realizing it. Using the HOV lane as a single driver is a way of cheating I frown upon. But I'd rather have people break that traffic law and laws that are victimless crimes than to have a police state.

Moderator cut: off topic
Quote:
Originally Posted by westvalley View Post
I have seen quite a few single drivers in the HOV lane on I-10 everyday, particularly this month when I-10 seems to get more crowded. Is the law enforced or it's okay to use HOV during rush hours if you are a single driver? Most of the time, it seems the police ignore this or pretend not to see it. What is your opinion on this?

Thanks.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-20-2009 at 04:48 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 08:42 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,413,595 times
What time was it? The lane is only a HOV during the specified times, which I believe is 6-9am, and 4-7pm?

Otherwise it's the fast lane.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:00 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
The OP mentioned rush hour, so I think that's the time frame he was asking about.

I don't think the police ignore those violations during rush hours, but they can't be everywhere, and they get involved with accidents, etc., that demand their attention. It's not easy to come across rush hour parking lot freeway traffic to catch one of those drivers, either.

I find that I don't use those lanes, in off hours, very often, unless I'm not planning on exiting anytime soon. Otherwise, changing over two lanes of traffic is fine.. I don't need to do three.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:17 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,413,595 times
Rush hour seems to vary, 3pm seems to be the start now, unlike a few years ago when it was the usual 5-7pm.

I get off work at 330 or 530 usually, much more traffic at 330 than 530 commuting from Old Town.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:42 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Rush hour seems to vary, 3pm seems to be the start now, unlike a few years ago when it was the usual 5-7pm.

I get off work at 330 or 530 usually, much more traffic at 330 than 530 commuting from Old Town.
You are right. The official rush "hours" on the freeway lanes involve several hours, and you can actually see a big increase in traffic on, say, I -10 westbound (and sometimes eastbound as well) as early as 230 or 3 in the afternoon., before those lane times start. Lots of people working nontraditional schedules.... 10 hour days, earlier starts and finishes on 8 hour days... it's really changed over the years.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,610 times
Do CNG cars have to have a AFV sticker or plate to use the HOV lane? If so how do I go about getting on? I bought a CNG ex cop car thinking I can use the HOV lane now Im kinda confused.... lol

Old 02-15-2011, 11:10 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moms5blessings View Post
Do CNG cars have to have a AFV sticker or plate to use the HOV lane? If so how do I go about getting on? I bought a CNG ex cop car thinking I can use the HOV lane now Im kinda confused.... lol
All that stuff was revoked several years ago. CNG cars were not actually using CNG. It was all a tax scam. The only ones that get the plates anymore are a few hybrid models and that was limited by number as well. You could try carpooling in that cruiser. Should be plenty of room.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
What annoys me is people that DON'T use the carpool lane and they are 2+ in the car. Why in the world would you move along slowly with the rest of the traffic when you could be in the carpool lane? I can understand if you have an exit coming up soon but when you're driving for miles and miles?

Not only would you get there faster, but it would free up space for the rest of the people that can't use the carpool lane.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:16 AM

418 posts, read 1,311,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
What annoys me is people that DON'T use the carpool lane and they are 2+ in the car. Why in the world would you move along slowly with the rest of the traffic when you could be in the carpool lane? I can understand if you have an exit coming up soon but when you're driving for miles and miles?

Not only would you get there faster, but it would free up space for the rest of the people that can't use the carpool lane.
A lot of people just dont want to drive that fast. Have you ever tried driving the post speed limit in the far left lane? You can be going 10 mph over the limit and still driver's run up your rear and almost bump you riding so close to your rear end. It just isn't worth the anxiety. Better to relax and blend in with normal traffic going a reasonable speed. Not everyone is in a rush to get where they are going 5 minutes sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area