Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Downtown Phoenix. Specifically the Roosevelt neighborhood, it's exactly what it sounds like you're looking for.
I agree, especially if your husband is an artist. Plus, you might want to check out these other ideas from Phoenix magazine:

Best Phoenix Neighborhoods - Phoenix Magazine

If I were you, I would definitely check out Downtown Chandler (DC). Certain residents of the mega-suburb known as Chandler will say, "Oh, that's too close to Chandler's downtown. People say it's rehabbed, but it's still dangerous." That's your cue that there's something actually going on there past 8 p.m. They have an Art Walk once a month and a weekly Farmers' Market. There's a Block Party on Nov. 10, the next Art Walk is on the 16th, and check out a place known as Gangplank on South Arizona Ave. It describes itself as "a collaborative workspace (coworking) based on social capital not making a profit." And check out that list of not-chain restaurants on the DC website. Even a couple of breweries, a winery, an Irish pub, a bakery, a juice joint. But Paletas Betty alone should get anyone running there (handmade Mexican ice and cream pops).
*|*Downtown Chandler
http://gangplankhq.com/
Paletas Betty - "the bite means it's ok to eat"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 PM

606 posts, read 1,606,215 times
Phoenix, all along Grand Ave from Roosevelt to Van Buren, there are a bunch of little independant art galleries right there and it is definetly a funky walkable little neighborhood.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:24 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losadair View Post
Hi everyone -

Looking for neighborhood advice. Half my family has moved to Phoenix (actually now Anthem, in the far north suburbs). I miss my family, I love boiling-hot weather, and I really want to believe there's someplace in Phoenix that might work for me and my husband.

We've lived in Austin TX (my favorite) and Durham NC - both small, progressive oasis cities surrounded by more conservative areas. My husband's an artist and I am (or will be) a nurse. Neither Austin nor Durham had great transit options overall, but we were able to find housing in little pockets of walkable, diverse, art- and restaurant-filled, fun neighborhoods. I'm hoping there are places like that in Phoenix. I love being able to walk to a farmer's market, a couple taquerias, laid-back local restaurants and bars. Proximity to an art scene & studio space would be perfect. We've lived in "transitional" neighborhoods and don't mind some urban grit.

My sisters' neighborhoods are lovely but the houses are too big and manicured, there's too much driving, and the neighborhood feels too lonely for folks like us. We don't have kids, so school districts are not a concern. We can be happy living in a small house, an apartment, or a condo - we don't really need more space than 1000 sq ft, so the neighborhood is more important than the housing particulars .

I've got to believe that there's a little bit funkiness somewhere in Phoenix...but where?'
I think you'd be happy living close to the light rail in Phoenix. The part I like runs along Central Avenue in Phoenix.

There is a website called We Know Urban dot Com (against TOS to post a realty related site, I think).
They specialize in condos, even some houses near the light rail.

Check the site for the farmers' market downtown http:///foodconnect.org/phxmarket/

Check this one out for artsy stuff Roosevelt Row

And there is more info on the light rail here http:///raillife.com/restaurants-near-light-rail/

Frankly, I wish I could live in that area, but we're not ready yet.

Best wishes and good luck

Old 11-06-2012, 06:26 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Is there a grocery store in roosevelt row? Other than the farmers market?

Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
No. Closest grocery is at 7th St & McDowell.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 AM

278 posts, read 546,589 times
Wow i never knew Phx had this, What are the cross streets for RORO im def gonna check this out.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:49 AM

82 posts, read 358,682 times
There are efforts to open Vegco across from the library just off the light rail, so we shall see if that comes about as another place to grocery shop.

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...sed-store.html

Old 11-21-2012, 05:27 PM

48 posts, read 117,785 times
Thanks y'all! Great suggestions....I'll do some hunting when I visit over Christmas.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:33 PM

125 posts, read 169,986 times
If you don't choose downtown proper. Mid Town is very walkable and the rent can't be beat. There are cute shops on Central Ave & Camelback area, mom n pop stores and the sandwich European deli "Cheese n Stuff" is great, on same corner is a cute coffee joint locals stop and have coffee outside on benches. Across the street is "AJs 'purveyors' of Fine Foods" what's the 'purveyors' word for, they sure are self congratulatory, [mod cut-- consumer complaint] their deli is fantastic though

Try to stay EAST not WEST of Central. The further west, the further in crime and general "ickiness"
Lots of cute antique shops on Central around Camelback and few blocks south. Light rail is on 3rd Ave and Camelback. Many apartments for rent, some nice condos/townhomes on that area of Pasadena Ave/Medlock Ave.
The problems I have seen there though, lots of homeless! If you are outdoors walking and someone scruffy comes up to you, DON'T STOP. Really, do NOT stop- keep moving. They always have some "story" to tell and they want money. Some get angry if you don't come up with spare change. No kidding. This applies to all of Phoenix not just midtown.

Van Buren has TONS of crime, lots of homeless around there too- and sorry, but prostitutes I guess use Van Buren as their walk. You won't hear this from the many condo realtors on that street however. Just drive around and see for yourself.

Last edited by observer53; 11-23-2012 at 11:56 PM..

Old 11-23-2012, 05:52 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macluffy View Post
Try to stay EAST not WEST of Central. The further west, the further in crime and general "ickiness"
Lots of cute antique shops on Central around Camelback and few blocks south. Light rail is on 3rd Ave and Camelback. Many apartments for rent, some nice condos/townhomes on that area of Pasadena Ave/Medlock Ave.
That depends on where in midtown you are. South of Thomas the neighborhoods west of Central (Willo, Encanto-Palmcroft) are more gentrified than east (Coronado). Both sides are fine, but there would be a bit more crime in Coronado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area