Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 02:04 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times

Advertisements

The referenced article describes how the uppity folks of Gilbert got in a lather when a "spanish" name, Campo Verde, was proposed for their new high school. They are taking suggestions from the public. My idea:

Devil Dog High (after the infamous Gilbert high school skinhead/drug dealer group)

Residents can weigh in on Gilbert school's name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 02:06 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
BYU Prep

Old 11-30-2009, 09:45 AM

4 posts, read 7,871 times
Residents in Gilbert were not upset by a Spanish name, which means Green Field, they were upset that the name Campo Verde broke a pattern that had been consistent for years in the naming of Gilbert Public Schools neighborhood campuses, i.e., Mesquite Elementary, Mesquite Junior High School, Mesquite High School (Mesquite, by the way is a Spanish word, too*). They felt that with a Greenfield Elementary, and a Greenfield Junior High, the neighborhood high school should also be named Greenfield. Others were concerned the name "Campo Verde" would be confused with "Camp Verde," a town in central Arizona.

The media made a big to-do over the parents' comments, and before you knew it, the story had been twisted to make it appear the discontent was race-based, which it never was.

*Other Gilbert Public Schools campuses with Spanish names are:
Playa del Rey Elementary (in the Playa del Rey neighborhood)
Sonoma Ranch Elementary (in the Sonoma Ranch neighborhood)
Val Vista Lakes Elementary (in the Val Vista Lakes neighborhood)

Last edited by savory; 11-30-2009 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 11-30-2009, 10:17 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savory View Post
Residents in Gilbert were not upset by a Spanish name, which means Green Field, they were upset that the name Campo Verde broke a pattern that had been consistent for years in the naming of Gilbert Public Schools neighborhood campuses, i.e., Mesquite Elementary, Mesquite Junior High School, Mesquite High School (Mesquite, by the way is a Spanish word, too*). They felt that with a Greenfield Elementary, and a Greenfield Junior High, the neighborhood high school should also be named Greenfield. Others were concerned the name "Campo Verde" would be confused with "Camp Verde," a town in central Arizona.

The media made a big to-do over the parents' comments, and before you knew it, the story had been twisted to make it appear the discontent was race-based, which it never was.

*Other Gilbert Public Schools campuses with Spanish names are:
Playa del Rey Elementary (in the Playa del Rey neighborhood)
Sonoma Ranch Elementary (in the Sonoma Ranch neighborhood)
Val Vista Lakes Elementary (in the Val Vista Lakes neighborhood)
Just because it sounds Spanish may not mean it is. Mesquite is not purely Spanish, it's also derived from a native tribal word. Sonoma is not found in any Spanish dictionary. And, with both Playa Del Rey and Sonoma, they simply took the name of the subdivision the school is connected to, which you state is their pattern. That's hardly a statement for multiculturalism. And "vista" is just as much an English word as a Spanish one. Val Vista is simply a contraction of Valley Vista.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:41 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to comment as well. I think the district acted too fast, as there is already a "Camp Verde HS" in Arizona, and now this is called Campo Verde. I think they could have done something that distinguished itself from that.

But my main issue is the lack of originality with the mascot. COYOTES? is that the best they could come up with? There's already a HS in Mesa, and Queen Creek with the nickname of Coyotes, and also Centennial HS in Peoria and numerous other High School, elementary and middle schools. Just because the name of the school starts with the letter 'C', doesn't mean you need to go with the first animal that comes to mind. Take a few minutes and try to be more creative, because it's gonna be there for a while.

As a follower of HS Football in the valley, I'm going to find myself confused when it's constantly the Coyotes versus the Coyotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area