Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:21 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,514 times

Advertisements

I remember seeing a map in the paper - years ago - that showed the boundaries of Maryvale. I lived in Maryvale from 1973 - 2003 so I was interested in the map. What was funny was that I was living in Glendale off of Maryland Ave (just east of 67th Ave) and one of my neighbors said she would never live in Maryvale and this map showed that the northern boundary of Maryvale extended all the way to Maryland Ave and included the area we were living in. I showed her this map and she was so ticked. I clearly remember this because I was quite surprised to see Maryvale extended into Glendale. I never checked to see if this map was correct, but I do remember seeing it (and I know I have it around here somewhere).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 6,368 times
Maryvale is pretty cheap rent but it's so run-down and infested with crime. I guess if you don't mind living next to druggies and taking a risk on getting your car broken into it's a good way to save some money.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:54 PM

674 posts, read 2,553,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
I know a family who lives across the street from the park and they said theft is pretty bad. When I have visited, they wouldn't let me walk to my car alone for safety reasons. Keep in mind this was 4 years ago though.
So some people are paranoid. There aren't any neighborhoods that bad in AZ.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldb View Post
Maryvale is pretty cheap rent but it's so run-down and infested with crime. I guess if you don't mind living next to druggies and taking a risk on getting your car broken into it's a good way to save some money.
I don't know about this. I just looked up the house I lived in in Maryvale from 1994-2004. It's up for sale, but is also listed as a rental. When we moved in the whole house was renovated from carpet to roof; we were paying $450 a month then. When we left in 2004 we were paying $500 for a three bedroom/ one bath. This very same house (recently renovated) is now going for $1050 a month!

Old 11-25-2009, 03:36 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
When we left in 2004 we were paying $500 for a three bedroom/ one bath. This very same house (recently renovated) is now going for $1050 a month!
Cross streets?

Old 11-25-2009, 04:03 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,696 times
43rd Ave and McDowell is one of the worst areas in the Valley. So to say Maryvale isn't bad is insane.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:12 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,419 times
My grandmother still owns a home at 51st Ave/Thomas. The neighborhood sucks - no doubt.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Cross streets?
71st Ave and Encanto

Old 11-26-2009, 05:55 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
no way they are getting that kind of rent, unless you have a family that absolutely can't get a legit place to rent and they are being gouged by a slimeball or they found a sucker (like my friends in buckeye who are renting their house for $1,200 to an out of state friend of theirs who is getting settled.......)

there are rentals all over the city for much less

however, it does look like some people are trying to (and maybe actually) getting that kind of rate

Maryvale, Phoenix, AZ Real Estate, Apartments & Houses for Rent - HotPads

however, it looks like most are in the $600 - $800 range

also, i don't think most would consider 71st and Encanto to be "maryvale" when it's used as a place to avoid

as a side note, my wife used to teach in a rougher part of glendale - pretty much everyone rented - was kind of crazy how much the rents were - these structures were pretty much falling apart and the neighborhood was crap, but the rents were close to what people were paying in the arrowhead area ........ maybe 15% difference at most - that really shocked me

Old 11-26-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
no way they are getting that kind of rent, unless you have a family that absolutely can't get a legit place to rent and they are being gouged by a slimeball or they found a sucker (like my friends in buckeye who are renting their house for $1,200 to an out of state friend of theirs who is getting settled.......)

there are rentals all over the city for much less

however, it does look like some people are trying to (and maybe actually) getting that kind of rate

Maryvale, Phoenix, AZ Real Estate, Apartments & Houses for Rent - HotPads

however, it looks like most are in the $600 - $800 range

also, i don't think most would consider 71st and Encanto to be "maryvale" when it's used as a place to avoid

as a side note, my wife used to teach in a rougher part of glendale - pretty much everyone rented - was kind of crazy how much the rents were - these structures were pretty much falling apart and the neighborhood was crap, but the rents were close to what people were paying in the arrowhead area ........ maybe 15% difference at most - that really shocked me
This is the link I was looking at. I guess it might just be a rent comparison page, but it does list rents higher than a thousand for a few of these places; and there is no way (even renovated) that these places are worth that much.

71st and Encanto is in Maryvale and it was a nice place to live until around 2000. Our neighborhood really changed in the ten years we lived there.

Thanks for the link. I enjoy reading about Phoenix and AZ, but am glad I moved to Oregon.

Block 427 Apartments & Houses Rent Comparison, Neighborhood Rent Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area