Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 07:53 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times

Advertisements

Yes: the Phx area has lots of issues; that stated; things here would be better if the boo birds left (you know who you are).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 08:15 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransporterG View Post
C'mon folks. No offense to the OP--we all have worries of uncertainty, as humans. Pointing fingers at Joe Chicago, who decides to move to Arizona is missing forest for the trees--my life is a disease, Echo & The Bunneymen sang in 1998--and all the fault is yours! LOL Please. We can paint doom and gloom anywhere in the world--draught, North China; floods, South China; Water and road infrastructure anywhere in the midwest big cities or East Coast. Name a place, and most of us can come up with plenty of reasons why it will go down the tubes, or up in flames, some night...on a night when "our courage fails, or our marriage." (Miranda)

What we fail to see, when we look at my 6 young ficus trees threatened by the impending doom of freezing nightly temperatures , is that we as humans DO adjust (especially the USA), politically, technologically, culturally. We worry that the BIG ONE is around the corner, the amageddon, and some in fact things we cannot control but could have if we only were more foresighted. But political will, the will of the people, adjusts when it is needed, perhaps never timely enough, but I would suggest that education in this country might doom us before water shortages and lack of petroleum.

There is no state in the country that can or will limit newcomers from coming to their state--when the economy was booming just a few years ago, I remember every specialty furniture store or plumber striking out on his own....hoping more and more would come. More money for the family business, more tax revenue for the state and local district schools, more money to build the infrastructure (light rail anyone?) a modern metropolis demanded.

So now life is not so good for arizona businesses...but it's getting better. And an argument can be made that no important political will or solutions to water, to educational obscurity, to Sheriff Joes, to energy, to bringing more jobs to Arizona will result from building walls around a city and saying: Alas, we've got MY Phoenix back. Any examples to the contrary are gladly solicited for discussion.
I am not sure how anyone got the idea that a goal should be to limit newcomers. Its as simple as QUIT building and there will only be so much room.

If thats doom and gloom, then call me a boo bird and I would have to agree with movin' on that this place truly is hopeless. As soon as this boo bird can, it will fly out of here like a bat out of hell.

I think it was a noble effort on the realtors part to try and spark some type of brain activity, but let it stay on the record that its truly not possible here.

Last edited by cmist; 12-10-2009 at 09:08 PM..

Old 12-11-2009, 10:11 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times
Um, who cares? I just want to find a good place to eat. lol Oh, and a cheap pair of sunglasses.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:51 AM

584 posts, read 1,340,456 times
The housing crashed and the lack of diversified economy yesterday in Phoenix will only turn itself to be values, opportunities, chances into the future. The least that you can do as a citizen of Arizona is to vote for a new leader. Someone who has a vision of change, not a stupid backward thinking kinda political status, old timers. You had a southwestern state with full of the west "vibe" being run more like a midwest plain old ugly fields.
Do that instead of whining about Phoenix everyday surely will not help yourself or Phoenix either.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:13 PM

648 posts, read 3,090,542 times
i don't particularly like the phoenix metro area but i think phoenix will "rise from the ashes." i think folks will always want to come here from the cold weather states and as soon as they are able they will come again. as i look around lately, i see that the phoenix metro area has a lot to offer the right minded people. it's an evolving town. i personally don't like the heat or the desert but if that's your bag well then WELCOME!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 04:29 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
The housing crashed and the lack of diversified economy yesterday in Phoenix will only turn itself to be values, opportunities, chances into the future. The least that you can do as a citizen of Arizona is to vote for a new leader. Someone who has a vision of change, not a stupid backward thinking kinda political status, old timers. You had a southwestern state with full of the west "vibe" being run more like a midwest plain old ugly fields.
Do that instead of whining about Phoenix everyday surely will not help yourself or Phoenix either.
Completely agree. If you get wind of a good candidate, please post it. Most of the time I don't see much difference in the choices on the ballots. I'm sure it will rise from the ashes too at some point, but if they cant find a way to keep the fire burning, it will be ashes yet again.

Its for that reason that I try to get people to comment on what went wrong. I want to get a reading on the attitudes of the locals but this provokes more defenses than discussions. The majority of people shrug it off, and label concerned residents as bashers. If this forum is any indication of the larger belief system for the area, my criticisms are in the extreme minority and so my choice of candidates likely would be as well.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:39 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,183 times
Wink In measure

It should be of some interest to those in such places as Phoenix, Las Vegas, NV as well, that the headwaters of the Colorado river are in Colorado, and that state is grappling with increasingly serious water issues.

If this nation and the states have not yet addressed the issue of population, towns such as Aspen, CO have. While it remains an extreme example, the population of that town and Pitkin County are relatively stable due zoning and the resultant exorbitant price to live there. Colorado as a whole is projected to increase its current population of some 5 million to 10 million by 2050. In that regard it is no different than most of the rest of this nation in thinking it can continue a Ponzi scheme of growth indefinitely without consequences.

Our global population is near 7 billion, projected to be at least 9 billion by 2050. The current International Climate Conference in Copenhagen, Denmark will likely conclude with half-hearted promises no one intends to keep. Yet the effect of greenhouse gases on our climate our indisputable, with rising populations doing nothing but adding to the problem. Those thinking in purely economic terms should be as concerned as any environmentalist, because what is transpiring will have a direct and very negative effect on global economies, water availability, food, and overall wellbeing.

In short, whether Phoenix or elsewhere, there exists a certain balance in resources and demand upon them. All will at last realize, one way or the other, that the best possible growth is not in bigger but better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: