Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 11:54 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,412,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Ok so I have heard many times about the problem with air quality in the Valley. There supposedly exists a "Brown Cloud" that hangs over the metro, obstructs views and is unhealthy to breathe in. Also I've heard crime is on the high side, along with traffic.

Can anyone give me objective information on this? I may be young but these quality of life issues are very important to me.
The pollution here is just as bad as any other large city, remember we are the 5th largest city in the US.

The crime compares to any other state, it's not bad.

Traffic is horrible, tons of snowbirds who shouldn't be allowed to drive, idiots in their riced out hondas, and rednecks in their lifted trucks, pretty much everyone drives their car like they stole it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 12:09 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,567,921 times
The brown cloud is visible when you drive down the 51 freeway. And it appears the cloud is right over downtown Phoenix. If you compare that to Los Angeles downtown, Phoenix air quality is much better. If you live outside the perimeter, the air is cleaner. Queen Creek, Anthem, Tonopah, Apache Junction.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:15 PM

286 posts, read 1,029,320 times
I was just worried that PHX was like "Diet LA" with the same problems on a smaller scale. Tampa is by no means perfect but in terms of those basic quality of life issues there's no glaring negatives. I NEVER see haze here except for summertime when the humidity is so high you can literally see it in the distance.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:37 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
The brown cloud is unattractive but is nothing compared to the persistent haze in the LA basin which tends to reduce visibility down to a mile for areas east of downtown practically every day. I couldn't believe people would live in that kind of soup and not pay attention to it. There are days when the brown cloud here is pretty bad but that's when it's hot in the wintertime. I've never seen it in the summer, I mean, how could there be an inversion when it's so hot at the surface?! I ride a bike year-round and only on a couple of occasions has the air made me cough. For the most part, visibility here is very good. From my nearby mountain park, you can see how vast this valley is.

Crime is a concern but while I can't speak for others, I feel safer because it's sunnier. A bad neighborhood looks (and feels) worse when the skies are gloomy and dark, which never happens here. I avoid the west side (say west of 19th Ave) and the south side (south of downtown) because I don't like them and most of those areas are not appealing. Predictably, they are also the higher areas for crime. I've never felt unsafe walking down the street here. I've felt a little uncomfortable on my bike when in certain areas, but I've also felt that same way in San Diego and other places I've lived.

Phoenix is one of the easiest cities to get around because of the large grid and the timed stoplights. You can zip across town at a pretty steady 40mph almost anywhere, rush hour excepted. The drivers are aggressive and I wish I could kill everyone who thinks their turn signal is optional except when they turn in their driveway. However, aren't Americans in general terrible drivers? I mean, what do you expect in return for $25 (the cost of a license more or less), a rational and honorable citizen behind the wheel? Perhaps it's the 5 month long summers that drives people a little nuts in their cars. While I live in central Phoenix, I can't really comment on the commuters but I trust they are jerks (and stupid for living 30 miles from their jobs).

Biggest advice: If you move here, live close to your job. People come on this forum and ask questions like "Where's the best place to live in Anthem, my new job is in Gilbert?" This website and others should provide ample enough information for determining where to live in this 46x22 mile city. Good luck and welcome.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:44 PM

112 posts, read 130,171 times
Well air quality is not a strong suit for Phoenix. I have friends that had to leave here because the dusty dry air caused issues for the asthma. The brown cloud is visible from just about everywhere on the outskirts as you drive in. I know from your previous posts that you are looking to live as close in as possible so you wont be seeing the brown cloud, you will actually be living and breathing it in regularly. I wont proclaim its dangerous as I dont really know what it is, but its sure not natural. The problem is worse in the winter when the cold dense air actually creates some sort of condition that causes the pollution/dust to hover rather than float away. Air quality is nothing to brag about in Phoenix but if you want to use LA as the measuring stick then it could be called wonderful I suppose, but what air isnt wonderful compared to there?

Old 11-28-2009, 01:34 AM

286 posts, read 1,029,320 times
Hmm this doesn't seem too good. Are different parts of the valley better on air? Scottsdale and Tempe are actually my target destinations, how is it there?

Old 11-28-2009, 12:20 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,663,962 times
Quote:
Hmm this doesn't seem too good. Are different parts of the valley better on air? Scottsdale and Tempe are actually my target destinations, how is it there?
If there is such an area, it would be in a largely suburban area and pretty far from walkable nightlife. So you will probably have to pick one or the other.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:04 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,648,581 times
My allergies, asthma, and sinuses are much worse in Tampa than they were in Phoenix. The past two years in Tampa -I just do not feel as healthy as I did in Phoenix. Here in Tampa, I live year round on Sudafed, Afrin, and my asthma inhalers. I took allergy meds back in Phoenix, but this is just ridiculous. Waking up and clearing myself up so I can breathe here is a process. I DO look forward to taking back the brown cloud for some relief. It works for me.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:53 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,222,853 times
Quote:
I was just worried that PHX was like "Diet LA" with the same problems on a smaller scale. Tampa is by no means perfect but in terms of those basic quality of life issues there's no glaring negatives. I NEVER see haze here except for summertime when the humidity is so high you can literally see it in the distance.
According to 'Sperlings Best Places' violent crime in Tampa is 8/10 and in Phoenix 6/10, property crime is 7/10 in Tampa and 6/10 in Phoenix. The US average is 3/10. Phoenix is safer.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:03 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,482,827 times
My eldest daughter had midgrade asthma before we moved here (think BFE) and no longer takes any meds and has not had an attack in over 4 yrs. She also runs CC and plays soccer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area