Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 8,083 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a young professional moving from Philadelphia to Phoenix, and I want to live in NE Phoenix or Scottsdale (where there are other young professionals). I prefer to rent and am looking for the high end apartments in these areas with a decent no. of young professionals. Can someone break down a listing of the best high end apartments in the area (taking into account age of the building, access to major roads, and proximity to shops, restaurants and nightlife)? I pay roughly 1500 in Philadelphia right now for a 1 bed room and wouldn't mind dishing out 1300+.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Marlowe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 08:01 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,992 times
CityNorth
Kierland (Paragon, Traditions and Legends-there are 3 complexes in Kierland)
Shade at Desert Ridge
Desert Parks Vista
Desert Club
Barossa at Paradise Ridge
90 Degrees
Alexan Frank Lloyd Wright

These are all NE Phoenix/N Scottsdale area.

Desert Parks Vista will most likely be the most expensive on the list-depending on the exact unit, you could max out your 1300 budget on a 1 br. That said-this is not "proximate" as in really "close" to the shops/restaurants/nightlife as the others are. Ie you will not be within really close distance to those things. If you want closer distance, pick any of the others. I looked at Desert Parks Vista when I was moving, and perhaps other than being a little bit more "inconvenient" as far as access to stuff, it did appear to be a bit older demographic. (And I am in my early 40s and most of the folks I saw appeared "older" than I was.) The others all have location, location, location-you will be closer to stuff, maybe even walking distance.

Others may know of some more that meet your criteria.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:41 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times
Bear in mind that in Phoenix, incomes tend to be lower than in Philadelphia. So you probably will find older people at $1300+ monthly rent in the NE areas. Consider renting a loft near Tempe Town Lake. A lot of rich people pay rent for their college-age kids there.

Seriously, you're more likely to see people 20 or 30 years older than you at apartment complexes that rent that high. I pay $900 per month only because I also rent another apartment at $1270 (in another state where I work). I would otherwise be in one of those ultra luxury places that are listed above.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:34 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Tempe may be more your style as regards to nightlife and the younger crowd. Many of the young professionals in Scottsdale fall into that $30,000/ year millionaire type of crowd which is best to avoid. I'm not a fan of going to clubs and the works because I don't care for the atmosphere and attitude of many of the people who go to these clubs in Scottsdale. Tempe is a bit more of the college crowd if you want to be around that age group.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:05 PM

45 posts, read 118,147 times
It doesn't sound to me like Marlowe is looking for the college crowd - even if they are younger. The key words that I picked up were "young professionals" - that's very different to me than "college kids".

Unfortunately I don't actually know where all of the young professionals live, so I can't actually help much. From my own experience, I'll be moving there next summer and am a young professional - the area I'm looking at is actually a lot closer to work (Alta Phoenix Lofts or a condo in the area). I don't know what's typical though...a lot of my decision is based on the commute time to work and a change of scenery

ETA:
Oh yeah, I also meant to say that I agree with Howard Roark's assessment of the really high end luxury apartments - in my own research of apartments in the Phoenix area, I got the same impression.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:27 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
I may be wrong, but $1300 may not be enough for true "high-end" apartments in NE Phx/Scottsdale...but I may be wrong??...

if you want to be in the $30K millionaire crowd, as Speedy suggested, downtown Scottsdale is an option, but you'll definitely blow your budget there.....let us know if you don't know what a $30K millionaire is...and I hope you aren't trying to be one!!...

you should consider your work location as more important than where the cool clubs are....Phoenix is much, much more spread out than Philly and you'll probably be driving to the latest and greatest hip clubs anyway....

lots of rentals available now.....may have room to haggle....you may also want to consider the areas along Camelback Rd from about 20th St east to 44th St.....though deep withing the city limits of Phx, a lot of yuppies (young urban professionals) live there and it's a very convenient part of town with lots of hip spots

Old 11-30-2009, 06:51 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times
$30k millionaire! I also use that term for the crowd in Hermosa Beach. It means people who drive expensive cars but cannot afford them, and are probably roomming with two others.

Yes, I'm 50, and I know from experience and fact that professionals my age who are renting usually have a high net worth and high income.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:12 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
$30k millionaire! I also use that term for the crowd in Hermosa Beach.
Lots of that around LA.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 8,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
I may be wrong, but $1300 may not be enough for true "high-end" apartments in NE Phx/Scottsdale...but I may be wrong??...

if you want to be in the $30K millionaire crowd, as Speedy suggested, downtown Scottsdale is an option, but you'll definitely blow your budget there.....let us know if you don't know what a $30K millionaire is...and I hope you aren't trying to be one!!...
Can you provide me with some apartments in Downtown Scottsdale?

Old 12-05-2009, 07:44 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
You can get a loft near Old Town Scottsdale for close to $1200/month, sometimes less, and it's a great location!

I drive by these lofts every day, they look awesome: Scottsdale Rd and Highland - Condo for Sale in Scottsdale, AZ - HotPads (http://hotpads.com/search/listing/41163_RealtySoft - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area