Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 03:44 PM

223 posts, read 596,234 times

Advertisements

I was recently introduced to the 'Green Belt' path that starts at Shea between 90 and 92nd st, and (supposedly) ends at Tempe lake. This is a fabulous discovery for me, as I've been searching for a decent walking path for ages.

Does anyone know where I can find more information about it? I'm especially interested in knowing where I can safely park along the path, so I can drive to that point to start the walk. I'm not healthy enough (yet!) to walk the full 12 miles x 2 that runs from Shea to Tempe, and the part from Shea (near where I live) to Hayden is not the best part of the trail - so I'm hoping to find good parking (safe, won't get towed, etc!) at various points along the trail.

I'm really impressed that they have developed this path ... I've been looking in vain for a park with a simple flat circular path around 5 miles long for some months now!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 05:07 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times
You can dowload a regional County bike trails map from this site that should help you:

Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG)

I've parked at the Scottsdale Mustang library branch at 10101 North 90th Street. There's a short trail down to the Green Belt from the east side of the parking lot. I've offloaded my bike from its rack and ridden down the belt from there and it seemed to be okay to park there. It is a safe area but as with anywhere, if you are leaving your car unattended, park where your car is visible and don't leave valuables, or anything that looks like it might contain a valuable visible in the car.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:43 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
There's parking lots near the picnic areas around Mc Dowell, you can also park near the lake that's up around Chaparral. The map referenced above should show them.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:49 PM

284 posts, read 700,501 times
We parked in business parking north of Via Ventura and west of Hayden. We were with friends who knew where they were going. A nicer section to walk than the southern stretch.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:06 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Also, for you hiking and park trail enthusiasts there will be a Maricopa Trail completed in a few short years. It will connect 9 Valley parks along the outskirts and be 248 miles long; it will be a scenic pedestrian beltway:

"Along the farthest corridors of the Valley, there is an ambitious construction project quietly under way. Within a decade, the project will become a circular pathway larger than Loops 101, 202 and 303 combined. It's about a third of the way done - and you may have never heard of it."
Scenic ‘pedestrian beltway' to link 9 parks in the Valley

Old 11-28-2009, 09:40 PM

930 posts, read 2,422,640 times
It does end at Tempe town lake. 12 or 13 miles of some of the most beautiful biking and roller blading that ever existed.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:52 AM

223 posts, read 596,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
You can dowload a regional County bike trails map from this site that should help you:

Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG)

I've parked at the Scottsdale Mustang library branch at 10101 North 90th Street. There's a short trail down to the Green Belt from the east side of the parking lot. I've offloaded my bike from its rack and ridden down the belt from there and it seemed to be okay to park there. It is a safe area but as with anywhere, if you are leaving your car unattended, park where your car is visible and don't leave valuables, or anything that looks like it might contain a valuable visible in the car.
I've also parked at the Mustang library once; there were signs there that suggest only library parking is allowed, but you would hope they would not aggressively enforce this, especially when the parking lot is empty! I've also found many office parking lots at various points, all of which have the standard warnings about office parking only ... I guess you just ignore them!

Old 11-29-2009, 11:04 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
the Scottsdale greenbelt is among the great success stories of recent urban park planning in the country....it runs along the Indian Bend Wash....many access points/parking lots at the major cross-streets

from trails.com:
The Greenbelt Pathway snakes through a wide swath of greenery in the middle of a thriving desert city, providing a lush oasis for numerous outdoor activities. The Indian Bend Wash Greenbelt not only controls the city’s seasonal floods but also creates ample open spaces for recreation and the setting for an outstanding urban hike. Flooding in a desert may seem improbable, but seasonal storms can easily overcome the often inadequate drainage systems in arid areas. While attempting to solve this problem, Scottsdale planners back in the 1960s had a stroke of genius. They constructed the Indian Bend Wash Greenbelt, an innovative flood-control system and desert oasis rolled into one. Taking advantage of the seasonal nature of flash floods, the city built a row of parks in Indian Bend Wash offering its residents a plethora of outdoor pursuits. The Greenbelt channels occasional floodwater toward the Salt River while accommodating a wide variety of recreational activities. The Greenbelt spans nearly 12 miles from Tempe Town Lake north to Cactus Road. While private golf courses consume some of the Greenbelt, its southern half is easily accessible to the general public. Bounded roughly by Hayden and Miller roads, the Greenbelt encompasses miles of parks, lakes, golf courses, picnic areas, and various sporting venues. Tunnels and overpasses protect visitors from traffic, and a multiuse Greenbelt Pathway carries patrons on foot, skates, and wheels through the park system.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:27 PM

127 posts, read 309,308 times
I didn't know about this. I've just been visiting for four days, learning my way around. Anyone have any apartment recommendations in this area, that is apartments that aren't primarily student housing? I'm looking for a more mature living environment. I'd love to live along the Greenbelt as I'm an avid walker/biker. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:40 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
Except for the area close to old town Scottsdale and southward, the greenbelt is mostly residential (condos, SFHs). I lived near old town and while it is about 5 miles from ASU, the bars around old town attract a lot of college students. Lots of students lived in the complex where I lived - turned into "conversions" (condominiums without garages and with tiny washers and dryers). They are noisy. Lots of times at 1am the noise level would be loud, as the drunk "kids" return from the neighboring bars.

I tried looking at apartment ratings and reviews web sites but most of those apartments are rated low. I live near South Mountain, which is south of Tempe, because my apartment complex is true to its high rating. It is extremely quiet. And that's what matters to mature people who have to work for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area