Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:09 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,609 times

Advertisements

As I have said before and will say again that it is my belief that this coming summer will determine whether I move to a hot climate or not. If I am somehow able to get through this next one without too much trouble, then that will prove that I can most probably tolerate heat even if I don't actually like it. I used to play basketball out in 105F weather so I am no stranger to heat.

I'd like to actually address a few points made by the previous poster. First of all, I have lived in the L.A. metro for 26 years and it is actually not cold in my opinion. In fact, I have not seen frost ever accumulate in L.A. ever except for one night in December 2008 and frost will almost never be found here because of the influence of the Pacific Ocean. The coldest it has ever gotten in my area is 35F but it usually does not go below 38F. Phoenix on the other hand will experience frost and hard freezes because it does not have the ocean influence and it is in a desert.

And depending on where in AZ you go, the weather will vary. For example, Flagstaff and Tucson have colder winters and more mild summers compared to PHX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 02:29 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I'd like to actually address a few points made by the previous poster. First of all, I have lived in the L.A. metro for 26 years and it is actually not cold in my opinion. In fact, I have not seen frost ever accumulate in L.A. ever except for one night in December 2008 and frost will almost never be found here because of the influence of the Pacific Ocean. The coldest it has ever gotten in my area is 35F but it usually does not go below 38F. Phoenix on the other hand will experience frost and hard freezes because it does not have the ocean influence and it is in a desert.
No offense but that is patently false! The coast are certainly much colder than Phoenix in the winter. The LA metro seems to gets some snow fall especially in the Grapevine area along I-5 probably every 2-3 years. The coasts are especially cold due to the wind chill of the ocean breeze and temperatures approach the 30's and rarely even the upper 20's. I fondly remember nights wearing heavy sweaters, hat and gloves on Hermosa beach drinking and hanging out by the fire and I've never worn a hat, or gloves in Phoenix since I've been here. The warmest areas of LA are actually further east in the valley because the climate becomes more desert like ie more like Phoenix! This is a big reason LA residents prefer the coasts in the summer because the weather is much cooler than the hot desert like weather of the east valley. FYI I'm an LA native. And you've never lived in Phoenix as your original post states so you are simply guessing and assuming Phoenix receives more frost because of your ocean theory.

Here is a link about Malibu getting snow in 2007

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news...cal-snow_x.htm

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-02-2010 at 03:23 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 05:48 PM

Well everyone,

Instead of creating a new thread, I just wanted to revive this old one and say that what a difference a few months can make. I have noticed that I have become more accustomed to heat and I must be a tough guy now because even 94 degrees doesn't feel that hot to me. It would probably have to be over 105 for me to start feeling hot. I know that when I originally started this thread, I really did not like heat very much but now I don't really mind it. That's what summer is supposed to be about. It has to be hot in the summer IMO. Well, I'm looking forward to some more warmth. In case you were wondering, I am absolutely serious. My tolerance for heat has gotten MUCH better over time.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:23 PM

568 posts, read 1,205,592 times
Good to hear you're adapting, AliveandWell.

I think there's a certain amount of pride that one can take if one can handle the heat here in Phoenix. At least I know I certainly do. My ancestors were pioneers who traveled across the country in very rough conditions that I'm sure I couldn't even conceive of. And then I think of the indigenous tribes who lived here in Arizona for ages without electricity, without air conditioning. So, it's kind of nice to think of ourselves as carrying on the tradition of a rugged existence. Ok...so we only have to endure walking from the car to the front door. But still...not everyone can even handle that, our modern society has become so pampered, so disconnected from nature. So, it's 'cool' to think of how much we actually are capable of surviving!

Old 08-14-2010, 12:37 PM

For years until I would say until about 2008, I absolutely hated heat. But now, I don't mind it and there have been times occasionally where I have actually liked it. 2008 was a turning point for me because it was at that point that I realized that I was starting to handle heat better than before. I think it is because of my diet and exercise routine. But the thing is if there is lots of smog in the air, that is the thing that bothers me the most.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 4,152 times
Default Heat it up in Phoenix

Re: heat in the Phoenix area - A&Well - it's HOT in Phoenix, and f'in miserable from July 1 (give or take a week in either direction - usually back towards June 15th) and the end of August/first of September. Grew up there - during that period I go from my a/c house, to my a/c car, to any activity that is inside. Did I mention my pool? I didn't because by that time it's body temperature, and only feels good when there's that nice breeze that precedes an afternoon dust storm. The humidity soars (and in Phoenix that is only in the high teens), and the temps at night only drop to the high 80's - sometimes it will stay in the triple figures. Have I painted a picture, and an attitude? If you work outside (I've been a firefighter for 30 years - only the first 20+ actually working at fires and auto accidents) - and if you have any kind of job that's outside - well, the majority of your conversation is about how the heat sucks, and how your last episode of heat exhaustion went. There's your heat story. Flagstaff, Prescott, Payson - Northern AZ cities - during the summer you get a break at night so you can be outdoors and enjoy the non-processed air. Flag - winter storms, miserable roads etc. Prescott, a little bit less so - not so much snow. Payson - overall moderate - the occasional snow storm & rain & freezing weather - but just 10 years or so past being a totally backwoods town - not that that's bad, if that's your thing. Nowhere seems to be Hawaii - about 15 degree swing from high to low, year round, add sea breeze to taste. Another story entirely.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:59 PM

175 posts, read 464,575 times
To answer the question directly and to the point, no it's not worth it. I hate the heat with a passion and i feel I am a prisoner in my own home from June to September because of it. At least when its cold out I can still go out if I wear the appropiate clothing to keep me warm. Here there is no way to cool off if you want to go out for a walk when its 108 short of continuously dousing yourself with cold water. Would move if I could afford to but can't.This place sucks.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:29 PM

Obviously the heat in Phoenix is no joke. I've heard plenty of people say how hot it is and how long it lasts. Well, this thread has gotten pretty long. Wow! It looks like the heat in Phoenix is like hell according to some people. Thanks again for the replies.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:55 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchtime View Post
To answer the question directly and to the point, no it's not worth it. I hate the heat with a passion and i feel I am a prisoner in my own home from June to September because of it. At least when its cold out I can still go out if I wear the appropiate clothing to keep me warm. Here there is no way to cool off if you want to go out for a walk when its 108 short of continuously dousing yourself with cold water. Would move if I could afford to but can't.This place sucks.
You have to allow your body to handle the heat. Sounds like you're addicted to a/c and won't (rather than can't) deal with it. No offense, but I'm exactly the opposite of you. I would refuse to adjust to daily highs in the 30s like I experienced in the Midwest. Give me 80 and up instead. I ride my bike here year-round, typically in the afternoons and even when it's above 110. For some reason it does not get to me. Yes, I dream of the occasional blast of cold air, like when you walk into the grocery store or hang out by the produce section, but the thought of the alternative makes me shiver, literally and figuratively. Yes, Phoenix is worth it despite the heat, mostly because when it isn't hot, it's fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area