Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 07:30 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It is what is going to happen. Your "friend" either adapts or he will have to find a new job.
That is exactly what he is doing. He can not adapt because he has too many bills, so he will clearly have to leave the state, and work for a place that does not have private prisons. While he is my best friend, I never thought having 4 kids was a good idea, because his living expenses greatly outweigh mine, by about 4 times. This is going to hurt him no matter what he chooses to do.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:33 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Most states are now privatizing.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:36 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
That is exactly what he is doing. He can not adapt because he has too many bills, so he will clearly have to leave the state, and work for a place that does not have private prisons. While he is my best friend, I never thought having 4 kids was a good idea, because his living expenses greatly outweigh mine, by about 4 times. This is going to hurt him no matter what he chooses to do.
Four kids or not, he seems to be up to his ears in debt relying on things to stay the same, which rarely happens. No job is foolproof, even if you work for yourself, you are relying on others, contracts, etc. Maybe he should start selling what he doesn't need to pay down some things...If he moves out of state he loses seniority regardless and will take less pay even with his experience. Does his wife work?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Most states are now privatizing.
I looked it up on google, and basically Arizona doesn't have the money to house the inmates. They basically said that they either have to set them free, or privatize the prisons. As a citizen who doesn't work for the state, of course I would rather have the prisons be privatized, rather than setting them free and making the city downright dangerous. However, I also feel for my friend given his situation. If it were not for him, I would be all for it.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Four kids or not, he seems to be up to his ears in debt relying on things to stay the same, which rarely happens. No job is foolproof, even if you work for yourself, you are relying on others, contracts, etc. Maybe he should start selling what he doesn't need to pay down some things...If he moves out of state he loses seniority regardless and will take less pay even with his experience. Does his wife work?
Yes, his wife does work full time too. He works nights, and she works days. He already has made some changes. When he lost his overtime, he told his wife she had to work. I think he said it takes $4,000 a month to run his household, so he can not withstand any pay cuts.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:57 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Hey guys/gals, sorry my grammar is not perfect. Regardless, I am not making this up in any way. My friend has got his shifts changed, which has screwed him up since he has 4 kids, and a wife that works full time too. He also was getting tons of overtime regularly on which he depended on to pay his bills. His overtime has been completely eliminated. My buddy told me that 3 out of the 4 prisons run by the state are most likely going to be closed, unless something miraculous happens with the economy. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
I've worked for the state for 20 years, I have heard nothing of the sort. This sounds like some wild rumor that got repeated so many times it takes on an appearance of truth. I believe the no overtime part, I don't believe closing "three out of the four".... and besides, there are MORE THAN FOUR prisons run by the state.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:58 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
They are talking about letting out most of the juveniles, not adults. Still, juveniles can be just as hard core as adults.

Potential cuts to state's juvenile jail facilities
I agree, there are some hard core juveniles out there. I had forgotten but I also have a great nephew in the juvenile system. (Geez, it sounds like I have a family full of criminals!!) I do believe he is 'hard core' because he cares absolutely nothing for other people or what he does. I would hope that they would take a very hard look at each individual case and start with the ones who aren't such a threat to themselves, others and society in general. I think a lot of our drug laws need to be reduced/looked at really close. To throw someone in prison because they got caught with drug paraphenalia a couple of times is over board. If they killed someone stealing money for drugs then lock 'em up and throw away the key.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I've worked for the state for 20 years, I have heard nothing of the sort. This sounds like some wild rumor that got repeated so many times it takes on an appearance of truth. I believe the no overtime part, I don't believe closing "three out of the four".... and besides, there are MORE THAN FOUR prisons run by the state.
This is only concerning the juvenile prisons, which there is 4 throughout the state. They are talking about closing 3 of the 4, unless the budget crisis is solved next month. There is also no plans on privatizing these either.

Potential cuts to state's juvenile jail facilities

Old 12-06-2009, 08:04 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
I looked it up on google, and basically Arizona doesn't have the money to house the inmates. They basically said that they either have to set them free, or privatize the prisons. As a citizen who doesn't work for the state, of course I would rather have the prisons be privatized, rather than setting them free and making the city downright dangerous. However, I also feel for my friend given his situation. If it were not for him, I would be all for it.
Oh please..., provide the google links that state "basically Arizona doesn't have the money to house the inmates...'they' basically said that they either have to set them free, or privatize." This is not true; privatization is a consideration, not a must have. There are already private prisons in Arizona like that near Marana north of Tucson run in conjunction with the state, so it isn't completely private:

Arizona Department of Corrections

Old 12-06-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Oh please..., provide the google links that state "basically Arizona doesn't have the money to house the inmates...'they' basically said that they either have to set them free, or privatize." This is not true; privatization is a consideration, not a must have. There are already private prisons in Arizona like that near Marana north of Tucson run in conjunction with the state, so it isn't completely private:

Arizona Department of Corrections
"They" is a group pushing for privatizing all the prisons in Arizona

“There simply isn’t the money to keep these people incarcerated, and the alternative is to free many of them or lower cost,” said Ron Utt, a senior research fellow for the Heritage Foundation, a conservative group whose work for privatization was cited by one Arizona lawmaker.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/24/us/24prison.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area