Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 AM

62 posts, read 160,683 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy in the Chandler area and was curious if anyone can give me their thoughts on the 101/Chandler Blvd area (just west of the 101)? We are hoping to stay somewhere between $175-200k, can you find a nice house in that area? Is that a good area for a family...schools, shopping, restaurants, sports, etc.? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that area feeds into Hamilton High School. We are not from the Phoenix area so I have no idea on what schools are good and which one's to avoid. Any information would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 07:29 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Hamilton is EXCELLENT. Chandler Fashion Center is right there, with other outdoor shopping areas on all sides, lots of restaurants, movie theaters, etc. That's a nice area, not sure about the home prices, but there are bargains to be had in many locations, and that may be no exception. Have you done any searching online? ZIP code is 85224 east of the 101, 85226 to the west. realtor.com has what looks like some nice listings in both ZIP codes, especially toward the higher end of your range. You can narrow your search a bit based on number of bedrooms, sq feet, etc.

Last edited by observer53; 12-08-2009 at 07:38 AM..

Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 AM

Good to know! I actually meant east of the 101 in my original post, not west, simply because I have done some looking online and that is the area I found some nice-looking houses in our price range. I agree with you that they seemed to be on the higher end of our price range, but in our range none the less. I will definitely check out those zip codes. Thanks!!

Old 12-08-2009, 07:59 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
I used to live right in that vicinity of the 101 Loop and Chandler Blvd., right near the fashion mall, and highly recommend it.

It's very middle-class, family-friendly, good public schools nearby, nice variety of shopping, and home prices aren't too unreasonable. I think the op can easily find something in that pricerange.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:08 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Everything out that way is nice, until you get close to Arizona Avenue, between Pecos and Chandler Boulevard. That is downtown Chandler, which has nice restaurants and night life, but the surrounding area is a little run down and higher crime rate. But there's million dollar homes about 3/4 mile west of downtown, so try to stay at least that far from AZ Avenue, and you'll be fine.

Another thing to think about is that there is home building going on around Hamilton High School that could impact the district boundaries in the future. They may end up at Chandler High school if that happens. Of the 4 CUSD schools, Chandler is rated the worst. Another (private) option in the area is Seton Catholic High School, which is at Ray and Dobson, or Valley Christian High School, which is further West.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:16 AM

Great, thank you! I looked on Google maps and it looks like a nice area. The only downside to that area for us is that I will be working in North Scottsdale and I know it will be quite the commute. I suppose the closer we live to the 101 the shorter the commute, correct?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:45 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving from NE View Post
Great, thank you! I looked on Google maps and it looks like a nice area. The only downside to that area for us is that I will be working in North Scottsdale and I know it will be quite the commute. I suppose the closer we live to the 101 the shorter the commute, correct?
Yes that's correct. The 101 Loop is the fastest way to get from Chandler to Scottsdale, but like all other freeways it's going to be slower during crush hour.

If you find the 101 Loop is too backed up there are lots of regular streets you could try if you don't mind all the stoplights.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:38 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
How far north in Scottsdale? (everyone has a different idea of "north")

Old 12-08-2009, 11:55 AM

The address is on Gainey Center I believe, close to Gainey Ranch.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:54 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving from NE View Post
The address is on Gainey Center I believe, close to Gainey Ranch.

I wouldn't even call that North Scottsdale, really. More like Central Scottsdale. Not too bad of a drive. You'll learn the "tricks" of the commute, such as getting into the right lane on the 101 as it passes the Red Mountain Freeway offramp.

The drive back is probably a little worse than the drive to work. Still not as bad of a commute compared to what some people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area