Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:48 PM

125 posts, read 252,625 times

Advertisements

Since Im not sure how the sports system works there, I wanted to know a little info on it. Is it through the schools, towns ,etc? Both my sons play soccer but my older son who is only 10, is on a travel team and just won a medal for being the best soccer team on long island for his age group. The team was just invited to be on the NY state soccer tournament where only the best of the best of NY play. This is quite an honor but has made me rethink if I move to AZ, will he still have the oppurtunity to be on such a elite team like this. I know there are try outs every yr because my sons coaches do the same thing but will still keep the same team members together and only get 1 or 2 if someone quits otherwise, especially now, they want this team together for as long as they can, maybe even win scholarships to schools, etc...Im soccered out but I hang in there for my kids.....How is it like in AZ? Should I sacrifice a move just because he is on such an impt team..thanks in advance for all your help again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:10 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,983 times
I have twin boys... as you know already 12 years old that we have enrolled in different sports programs for quite awhile, since they were 7. Usually there are programs through both the city as well as the YMCA. Maybe other places as well.

Maybe we just run in different circles, so I hope someone else can contribute better news... but for this age group, the sports seemed to be very anti-competitive. They didn't seem to be keeping track of who was the BEST and none of the teams were ever touted as being invited to state or whatever. It was more about building self-esteem, good sportsmanship and getting the kids involved in something more than it was about claiming a regional title. I thought as they got older it would go more down the path like you are describing but it never did. Also the teams were never cherry picked. Whoever signed up is who was on the team and no 2 seasons ever had alot of the same faces on the team. However they primarily played basketball and recently started football, so I'm not sure how soccer works.

I haven't seen what you describe in the suburbs of Peoria, but that doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Its possible other cities, or other youth groups have that type of thing. Maybe they pull more from the schools for the state championships? This is about as much as I know.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:20 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
There are competitive youth soccer clubs all over the valley - google "competitive youth soccer phoenix" or similar.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:20 PM

Thanks for that info cmist. My older son started at age 6 and was just on intramurals but the pre travel team saw him play and he tried out, so he stayed on that team and now when you are age 10 it becomes a travel team IF you are good enough otherwise you are just on a intramural team which is no big deal. The pre travel and travel teams are very competitive on LI. We drive all over the place, especially when there is a tournament but this NY state soccer tournament is a really big deal...Maybe we will hear from more people on this thread so we both can find out if there is such a thing. My older son plays basketball too but its just playing against other lindenhurst teams. Both my sons play baseball too and they play other cities around age 9 but only if you are picked for the all star teams otherwise its just a local thing....

Old 12-07-2009, 09:22 PM

thanks ponderosa..

Old 12-07-2009, 09:26 PM

I'm not sure if "competitive youth sports" is the same as what Rammie is describing?

When we signed up, we had to check if we wanted competitive or non-competitive. We chose competitive but all that meant was they kept score and made it public info. Non-competitive meant they didn't keep score so the worst teams didn't feel like losers.

For the YMCA and city of Peoria, we had never heard of any of the teams going on to state or whatever... so I think you need to read more into it beyond competitive and non-competitive. Maybe you might find it more along the lines of youth sports state championships, etc.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:35 PM

rammie, i found this... It looks like its right up your alley.

azkids2teens.com

Read towards the bottom, it talks about AYSA, olympic development and state/national championships... I think this is a good start for you.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:45 PM

thanks cmist, that looked like where my sons team seems to be headed. My sons team was just a basic team that kept on winning all the games and tournaments and it made a name for itself and thats how you get noticed by the impt people...It is pretty cool but school always comes first so plz dont think Im one of those crazy moms that my son will be famous one day. Thats not me at all..Its the guilty mom feeling that I didnt want to take him away from something his team has been practicing for a long time....I appreciate the info you found.....

Old 12-07-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammie View Post
thanks cmist, that looked like where my sons team seems to be headed. My sons team was just a basic team that kept on winning all the games and tournaments and it made a name for itself and thats how you get noticed by the impt people...It is pretty cool but school always comes first so plz dont think Im one of those crazy moms that my son will be famous one day. Thats not me at all..Its the guilty mom feeling that I didnt want to take him away from something his team has been practicing for a long time....I appreciate the info you found.....
I dont think your a crazy mom! I know you are just weighing your options. Fuggedaboudit! Waddayu care wad I think anyway? You don't sound tough enough to be a New Yorker! Just kiddin' haha! I see plenty O' crazy moms and dads at the games here anyhow, so even if you are, you will blend right in! We get caught up in the excitement as well too though.

Once I re-read the web page, I realized it was NYS where my kids enrolled too, so if I were you I would contact someone from there to make sure you get him on the program that has tryouts vs. the one that has the balanced teams.

"Balanced" teams means they are never the same, kids are just grouped by the areas they live in and not based on skill. In that case, there was no way for any team to get recognition year after year. This was still in the competitive category though, so thats why I say to call them and ask what you have to do to be part of the state championship, etc.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:48 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I'm not sure if "competitive youth sports" is the same as what Rammie is describing?

When we signed up, we had to check if we wanted competitive or non-competitive. We chose competitive but all that meant was they kept score and made it public info. Non-competitive meant they didn't keep score so the worst teams didn't feel like losers.

For the YMCA and city of Peoria, we had never heard of any of the teams going on to state or whatever... so I think you need to read more into it beyond competitive and non-competitive. Maybe you might find it more along the lines of youth sports state championships, etc.
No there are competitive teams that travel all over the area and even the country. Remember, this is Aztlan! Soccer (aka futbol) is serious business among a large portion of our population. There is even one in Gilbert (Gilbert Soccer Club) where I think OP has been advised to move.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 12-08-2009 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area