U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2009, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,898 posts, read 6,187,074 times
Reputation: 867
Default Tracking Down a Person for Garnishment?

Anyone have any advice on how to go about tracking someone down?

I had a small claims court case a while back, the write of garnishment never went through because they changed jobs, now it's my responibility to find out where they work or live.

I can't get them back to court since they moved and I would be required to summon them via a process server or certified mail, but I cannot do this without knowing where they live.

I have a few names to go off, am I stuck hiring a PI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2009, 06:22 PM
 
10,481 posts, read 13,983,823 times
Reputation: 6341
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Anyone have any advice on how to go about tracking someone down?

I had a small claims court case a while back, the write of garnishment never went through because they changed jobs, now it's my responibility to find out where they work or live.

I can't get them back to court since they moved and I would be required to summon them via a process server or certified mail, but I cannot do this without knowing where they live.

I have a few names to go off, am I stuck hiring a PI?
Unless this is a substantial amount of money, I would not waste my time on it. Even if you hire a PR, and they find him/her, it is no guarantee of payment. It is real easy to get an independent contractor job, in which it can not be garnished. I was on the other side of the fence before on this issue in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2009, 07:46 PM
 
259 posts, read 372,913 times
Reputation: 153
If the amount of money is enough to involve a collection agency or collection attorney you can ding his credit report which just might be enough to make him want to settle.

I used that method several years ago on a guy owing me some money and it worked. I didn't get all the money but I got some of it. Several thousand dollars was better than a poke in the eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2009, 12:21 AM
 
214 posts, read 437,048 times
Reputation: 157
I'm assuming you won the small claims case? Because if so, you are legally a creditor who is entitled to obtain info that can help you locate this person (judgment debtor). I agree with the first post though, depending on the amount of money owed, it may or may not be worth pursuing. Do a little detective work before considering hiring a pro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2009, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,898 posts, read 6,187,074 times
Reputation: 867
Yes, we won. They owe us $2500 from the judgement, the max allowed by AZ.

Do you think it would be worth it? I was told we can sue for damages as well?

Basiclaly what happened was an uninsured and underage driver was at fault in an accident, and totaled my fiances vehicle. We took them to court, and won the judgement, we filed for another court hearing where we could get the appropriate information, and the information they gave us with either false, or they changed jobs and moved within the timeframe. Now I am stuck not knowing where they live or work, and the court is offering no assistance since it's our "job" to get the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2009, 04:49 PM
 
10,481 posts, read 13,983,823 times
Reputation: 6341
I found this. Unfortunately as I said it is not going to be easy.

Collecting small claims court judgments and garnishment actions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2009, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,898 posts, read 6,187,074 times
Reputation: 867
I might just see if I can track her down myself, it's not hard some people leave a HUGE paper tail on the internet, most times not even realizing it.

Otherwise, anyone know a good PI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2009, 05:59 PM
 
10,481 posts, read 13,983,823 times
Reputation: 6341
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I might just see if I can track her down myself, it's not hard some people leave a HUGE paper tail on the internet, most times not even realizing it.

Otherwise, anyone know a good PI?
The problem is not tracking her down, it is actually getting her to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2009, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,898 posts, read 6,187,074 times
Reputation: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The problem is not tracking her down, it is actually getting her to pay.
Once I verify where she works, I can file my "Writ of Garnishment" and they will garnish her wages.

I found her profile on a site called www.linkedin.com and she listed where she works.

She is listed as a "Certified Nursing Assistant" at the Western Regional Medical Center, and from what I found online there is only 2 places in AZ with that name.

I am going to call these places tomorrow morning to verify employment, and hopefully I will start getting her wages garnished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2009, 06:50 PM
 
10,481 posts, read 13,983,823 times
Reputation: 6341
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Once I verify where she works, I can file my "Writ of Garnishment" and they will garnish her wages.

I found her profile on a site called www.linkedin.com and she listed where she works.

She is listed as a "Certified Nursing Assistant" at the Western Regional Medical Center, and from what I found online there is only 2 places in AZ with that name.

I am going to call these places tomorrow morning to verify employment, and hopefully I will start getting her wages garnished.
I do hope it works out for you, but I am only being realistic. A CNA is at the lowest end of nursing, in other words a $10 an hour job. As you know, I also worked on the low end of nursing for many years. Here is the problem. I am am a male, and most clients want females. I stlll managed to always find work. Now, females in CNA jobs are in extremely high demand. She can quit and find another CNA job like that. CNA jobs have NOT been affected by the economy whatsoever. It sounds like this girls is trying to elude you IMO, and will continue so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top