Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:31 AM

570 posts, read 1,750,295 times

Advertisements

Still beats summer by a long shot!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 08:39 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,716,205 times
We love the winter here, even when it is a little too chilly for our old bones. Feels so much like southern CA to me and the winters of my youth. The summer here is intense, but only for a few months and we actually enjoy the heat. I could not fathom living in MI or WI, but I am sure it has its charming points as well as AZ does. You just choose your poison and get on with it.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:29 AM

300 posts, read 950,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
It's 5:30 and already only 52°!!!

It's 80% humidity out there and it feels cold and damp like Seattle...

It's nice for a while but average temps for this time of year are 67°. I bet all those heat haters are liking it right now but I'm about to buy a UV bed like those from Alaska...LOL! Last night when I was out at 11pm I was freezing...here's looking forward to May; this is supposed to be a colder and wetter than normal winter for Phoenix and the entire southwest. Good for the drought though, so there's the double edge.
Does this really need a thread? The majority of the time it is hot and sunny here. A few days of rain and clouds won't hurt anyone. I welcome the change.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:33 AM

39,023 posts, read 51,075,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegun View Post
Does this really need a thread? The majority of the time it is hot and sunny here. A few days of rain and clouds won't hurt anyone. I welcome the change.
I welcome the change from yet another Arpaio or photo radar thread.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:25 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,878,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Try Sedona, it's been in the 40's most days lately and down to 24 at night...I need to move south, I'm freezing!
Here in Cottonwood we've had some days where the high was 35! I've been pretty cold too so I am lovin' my fleece! lol

Old 12-14-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I'm from the Michigan board, but I'm not laughing. I'm thinking about how too much of a good thing...well, let's just say that after endless weeks of blazing, unrelenting sun with no shade trees to hide under, I am actually embracing the gray winter skies of Michigan for the first time in my life. Before we relocated briefly to AZ, I, too, complained about the gray skies to be found here in the winter. After that experience? Never again! We get sunshine in the winter here too, especially on those bitter cold days where it is literally too cold for cloud cover. Plus, we get gorgeous sunny days in the spring, summer, and fall, and I personally feel that we appreciate them so much more for having cloudy winters. I don't begrudge anyone their preferences, and if you love 24/7 sunshine, then you Arizonians are in the right place, but for me...well, it was just too much!
Looking forward to moving back to Wisconsin soon myself because of the extreme AZ summers.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:37 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,660,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I'm from the Michigan board, but I'm not laughing. I'm thinking about how too much of a good thing...well, let's just say that after endless weeks of blazing, unrelenting sun with no shade trees to hide under, I am actually embracing the gray winter skies of Michigan for the first time in my life. Before we relocated briefly to AZ, I, too, complained about the gray skies to be found here in the winter. After that experience? Never again! We get sunshine in the winter here too, especially on those bitter cold days where it is literally too cold for cloud cover. Plus, we get gorgeous sunny days in the spring, summer, and fall, and I personally feel that we appreciate them so much more for having cloudy winters. I don't begrudge anyone their preferences, and if you love 24/7 sunshine, then you Arizonians are in the right place, but for me...well, it was just too much!
I agree 100%. How much nicer is a sunny day after some rainy ones? Its the relief of discomfort that makes you appreciate comfort.

I hear the realization the poster above has had from alot from people who come here to live from other places, but at the onset, they can't fathom the idea of wishing for cloud cover until they experience eternal sunshine for themselves.

Seasons are what break up monotony. When I think of times spent in other places, I can remember what season it was by my surroundings and it creates distinct blocks of memory. When I look back at AZ memories.... its like one long blindingly bright indefinable moment in time.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:46 AM

I like AZ summer to tube the Salt River or go to a lake. I am an outdoors person, so the other 99.5% of the time from May - October is quite miserable and makes me grumpy.

Last edited by notmuch69; 12-14-2009 at 10:57 AM..

Old 12-14-2009, 03:41 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,000,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Oh puh-lease! I can just imagine everyone from the Michigan board laughing at these comments.

This cold damp weather is nothing compared to other parts of the country. 60 degrees in the afternoon and 45 degrees at night would be considered Indian summer where I'm from.

What drives you to believe that Phoenix doesn't need rain? What are you, a camel?
Moderator cut: rude It's not about how you hate the summer heat, or where you come from but that for Phoenix, it was cold and too gray...UGLY for those of us who actually appreciate the desert and the Sonoran beauty.

Phoenix doesn't need rain as much as our mountains need snow because that is what provides us with our water for the rest of the year, and like last year, more snow for the mountains raises our lake levels and reservoir levels. If someone actually knew and cared about Phoenix, they'd know that.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-14-2009 at 10:13 PM..

Old 12-14-2009, 04:24 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,660,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
I guess I'm "gloomy" because I have 3-4 more months of vapid, acrid transplantism before I move back to Portland or to NY. Anywhere but here, basically.

And when the sky matches the street, you can actually see. And think.
I don't think you sound gloomy. Your posts had me laughing and they are weather related. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-14-2009 at 10:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area