Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 04:51 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times

Advertisements

I picked up a flyer today about a Metro promotion celebrating the light rail success. How many of you have yet to ride it?

Quote:
On Saturday, December 19, in the spirit of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, METRO will hold a special Golden Pass promotion. In partnership with US Airways Center and the Phoenix Suns, METRO will specially mark “golden” transit passes in station fare vending machines along the line.
The 30 lucky winners who receive a “golden” transit pass will be entitled to a pair of US Airways Center event tickets of their choice – either an upcoming Phoenix Suns regular season home game, concert or family show. In addition, the lucky winners will be entered into a drawing to win one of two Grand Golden VIP Experiences.
Valley Metro | Welcome (http://www.valleymetro.org/metro_light_rail/how_to_ride/golden_pass_promotion - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 04:54 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
"Grand Golden VIP Experiences"

wonder what that is.....

nice to hear the general news that the light rail has exceeded expectations...it looks good and seems well-conceived.....I hope it continues to thrive

Old 12-14-2009, 06:11 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
I have yet to ride it because I have yet to be in a part of town that it runs, the whole idea of it is a little funny to me since it only serves a very very small percentage of the city.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:21 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I have yet to ride it because I have yet to be in a part of town that it runs, the whole idea of it is a little funny to me since it only serves a very very small percentage of the city.
So far.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
So far.

Rome wasn't built in a day.
I doubt it will ever serve my needs, unless I move more into the metro part of town, otherwise I see no need, plus the price is not worth it, I can drive 35 miles for the same cost.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I doubt it will ever serve my needs, unless I move more into the metro part of town, otherwise I see no need, plus the price is not worth it, I can drive 35 miles for the same cost.
You can drive 35 miles for a $1.75? I highly doubt that even in a horse drawn carriage...

Unfortunately, not everyone can be reached by the train, but you can get to it other ways unless you absolutely have no need to ever go to central Phoenix, the airport, Tempe, ASU, etc .

Maybe you'll have commuter rail on the fringes soon. But I'm sure some will have an excuse why not to use that. Point is, not everyone has to use it. But it is an option if you ever need it.

Another bonus for many, no need to park and pay and if you buy a ticket for certain events around town the ride on the train is free and kids under 6 are free all the time. Minors under 18 and seniors over 65 also pay discounted fares. All day passes for those groups are $1.75 as well.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
You can drive 35 miles for a $1.75? I highly doubt that even in a horse drawn carriage...

Unfortunately, not everyone can be reached by the train, but you can get to it other ways unless you absolutely have no need to ever go to central Phoenix, the airport, Tempe, ASU, etc .

Maybe you'll have commuter rail on the fringes soon. But I'm sure some will have an excuse why not to use that. Point is, not everyone has to use it. But it is an option if you ever need it.

Another bonus for many, no need to park and pay and if you buy a ticket for certain events around town the ride on the train is free and kids under 6 are free all the time. Minors under 18 and seniors over 65 also pay discounted fares. All day passes for those groups are $1.75 as well.
I get 35-40 MPG, I thought it was $2.75 for the LR, my mistake.

I go to the airport often, I can hop on the 51 and be there in 10-15 minutes, so no need for the LR.

I just don't get speding $70 million on something only a few people can use on a daily basis.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I get 35-40 MPG, I thought it was $2.75 for the LR, my mistake.

I go to the airport often, I can hop on the 51 and be there in 10-15 minutes, so no need for the LR.

I just don't get speding $70 million on something only a few people can use on a daily basis.
It was actually 1.4 billion, LOL. But about 42,000 people use it daily; that number expected to rise in November. That is tens of thousands of cars off the roads into the central areas of the valley daily. Even if you count that 10,000 used to ride a portion of the line on a bus daily, that still means many busses off the road in the central city which can use all the help available to move people around.

There is also the added benefit of future growth and density. Imagine thousands more cars off the road as more and more people use the train and move in proximity to it.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:01 PM

652 posts, read 2,712,127 times
Sounds good, I'll take a Suns home game please!

It's silly to drive to those anyways when parking is so expensive. Maybe if enough people use the train they can get rid of more parking lots downtown and develop them into useful space.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Sounds good, I'll take a Suns home game please!

It's silly to drive to those anyways when parking is so expensive. Maybe if enough people use the train they can get rid of more parking lots downtown and develop them into useful space.
Like the Garage-mahal! An awful use of public money! I know it won't happen any time soon, but will be nice when that thing is brought down and replaced with a dense development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area