Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:33 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,564 times

Advertisements

My sister (and probably mother too) will be moving to Gilbert sometime next year. They currently live in Murrieta.

According to Wikipedia, both Gilbert and the Temecula/Murrieta valley have approximately the same population

How do the two areas compare? Weather? Transportation? Jobs?

Does Gilbert have decent broadband? They both have FiOS right now.

Is this a good move for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 09:44 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
It's impossible for any of us to say whether this move, or any other, would be a "good move for them" (or anyone else). Why are they moving? What are they looking for in a place to live?

You don't tell us anything about the kind of jobs they are looking for. Jobs here in many fields are tight, and will remain so for a while. Gilbert is largely a bedroom community suburb of the fifth largest city in America (not exactly like Temecula), and depending on job location, it can be a long commute from there. Weather is hotter than Temecula would be in the summer, rest of the year is nice. Public transportation to/from Gilbert is limited to a few express bus routes in rush hours. Metro Phx is a big spread out area with lots of traffic. I would imagine they can get decent broadband in Gilbert.

Why are they looking at Gilbert in particular, as far as the Phoenix area is concerned?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It's impossible for any of us to say whether this move, or any other, would be a "good move for them" (or anyone else). Why are they moving? What are they looking for in a place to live?

You don't tell us anything about the kind of jobs they are looking for. Jobs here in many fields are tight, and will remain so for a while. Gilbert is largely a bedroom community suburb of the fifth largest city in America (not exactly like Temecula), and depending on job location, it can be a long commute from there. Weather is hotter than Temecula would be in the summer, rest of the year is nice. Public transportation to/from Gilbert is limited to a few express bus routes. Metro Phx is a big spread out area with lots of traffic. I would imagine they can get decent broadband in Gilbert.

Why are they looking at Gilbert in particular, as far as the Phoenix area is concerned?
My sister met someone who lives in Gilbert and is planning to move early next year. They are trying to talk my mother into moving out there.

She currently works at Costco and could probably get transferred, but there is no guaranty.

I think it's a bad move, but I told her I would try to find out more about the area.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:08 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
Based on that little bit of information, I tend to agree with you. Pulling up stakes for someone you met who lives somewhere else doesn't seem to work out a high percentage of the time. I don't know how much time she's spent visiting here, but she needs to do that before uprooting herself and your mother.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:52 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,243 times
To answer the original question, other than the obviousl WEATHER differences between AZ and Temecula, the two cities are virtually identical! I have lived in Murrieta, and just like those outlying suburbs in Southern Riverside county, Gilbert (and virtually every other PHX suburb) all have master planned communities, with the same type of shopping centers, malls, restaraunts etc.

As a matter of fact I had friends visiting me down here in Casa Grande (they were from Temecula) not too long ago and we were joking that CG is almost exactly like Temecula (although CG isnt quite as big yet as Temecula) - even our mall is named "The Promenade".

If they like the atmosphere of Temecula they will do fine in Gilbert - again, given they can deal with the change in weather. Temecula/Murrieta has some of the best weather around and it will be a change. There may be some cost savings by moving here, but with the downturn in Southern Riverside, house prices are probably pretty equal between the two places.

One other difference (some would say positive) that Gilbert offers over Temecula, is that it is much closer to the large downtown type stuff of Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale that Temecula is to San Diego or LA.

But driving down the street in Gilbert, they wouldnt even know they werent in Temecula!

Old 06-18-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
To answer the original question, other than the obviousl WEATHER differences between AZ and Temecula, the two cities are virtually identical! I have lived in Murrieta, and just like those outlying suburbs in Southern Riverside county, Gilbert (and virtually every other PHX suburb) all have master planned communities, with the same type of shopping centers, malls, restaraunts etc.

As a matter of fact I had friends visiting me down here in Casa Grande (they were from Temecula) not too long ago and we were joking that CG is almost exactly like Temecula (although CG isnt quite as big yet as Temecula) - even our mall is named "The Promenade".

If they like the atmosphere of Temecula they will do fine in Gilbert - again, given they can deal with the change in weather. Temecula/Murrieta has some of the best weather around and it will be a change. There may be some cost savings by moving here, but with the downturn in Southern Riverside, house prices are probably pretty equal between the two places.

One other difference (some would say positive) that Gilbert offers over Temecula, is that it is much closer to the large downtown type stuff of Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale that Temecula is to San Diego or LA.

But driving down the street in Gilbert, they wouldnt even know they werent in Temecula!
It's hotter in Gilbert than it is in Temecula? The temperature in July and August is around 105-110F and I've seen it go as high as 118F.

Looking at Google Maps I can see one big advantage for Gilbert. Gilbert has a grid system. The Temecula/Murrieta Valley does not.

Btw.... What's that body of water with all the housing around it? Is that where most of the well to do live?

Old 06-18-2010, 12:22 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,243 times
The difference in the temps between PHX (all of the surrounding area) and Temecula in the summer is that here it is 100+ EVERY SINGLE DAY from June to October (maybe the rare exception like we had last week), and is often 110+, whereas in Temecula those days get broken up with lower temps, and of course dont last nearly as long (by September Temecula temps are cooling down significantly).

As for the water - I assume you are talking about Val Vista Lakes subdivision. Yes, those are very nice houses.

Yes, the grid makes it very very easy to get around in Phoenix vs the winding roads of Temecula/Murrieta.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:52 PM

860 posts, read 2,715,227 times
I used to live in S Cal, although Belmont Shores near Long Beach. I went to the Orange County area for medical care,shopping etc. I was young and found the whole freeway system kind of overwhelming, and prefer living in an area where the shopping/services are close in. I felt that there was lots of driving in S Cal and when I moved back to my hometown of Ft Wayne, I missed all there was to do but not the driving required for much of my activities.

We moved here to Gilbert from IN about 3 weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised that everything I need is right here in Gilbert and can be reached by an easy to grasp grid system. I know that there is plenty that we can drive further to do, but on a daily basis I find Gilbert to be an easier lifestyle. It seems that an older person would appreciate that. People will honk at you though if you drive with hesitation! I do miss Midwestern courtesy.

Temecula is gourgeous though!

Old 06-19-2010, 10:59 AM

270 posts, read 1,109,557 times
Some summer nights in AZ/ Gilbert will be warm, especially late July and Aug. I am talking about days of 110sF and 90sF nights. Those will be the days of no relief even if the sun goes down. I think Temecula/ Murrieta, ca does not have that, or does it?

Old 06-19-2010, 12:18 PM

10,970 posts, read 6,849,128 times
Temecula and Murrieta are high desert so they cool down more than the Phoenix area does (it's a valley surrounded by mountains).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area