Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 02:33 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I would too... I would NOT like be a spectacle for gossip and discussions for eating alone, but I kind of admire people who don't give a damn about that type of thing. Maybe someone will reach out in the restaurant and invite him to join instead of gazing in pity from afar?? He seems pretty high in spirit and is probably some good company.

If there wasn't the possibility that he may be a total internet psycho, I would invite him to my own house. Sorry, guess most of us have to follow that "better safe than sorry" adage...
I had the same thought, but we decided on camping for Christmas I think...but he is from MN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 03:49 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,236 times
Most of my family will not be in town for Christmas. So it is just my sister and I. We are up near Kierland. We figure by the time we would do a real holiday "spread" for just 2, it would be cheaper just to go out. Then we will go back to her place probably for a few drinks.

I suspect we end up at Lon's, because that has been on our to try list for a while, and it just happens to be open. They are doing a fixed price for the holidays seatings-$65 per including appetizer and dessert.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:03 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Most of my family will not be in town for Christmas. So it is just my sister and I. We are up near Kierland. We figure by the time we would do a real holiday "spread" for just 2, it would be cheaper just to go out. Then we will go back to her place probably for a few drinks.

I suspect we end up at Lon's, because that has been on our to try list for a while, and it just happens to be open. They are doing a fixed price for the holidays seatings-$65 per including appetizer and dessert.
I am cheap, so I would think $130 + tip could go a long way for some kind of spread and have fun doing it

Old 12-19-2009, 05:35 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,569,502 times
There is another thing you gotta consider when eating alone, and it is more important than your own sense of self-consciousness. Several times when I was alone at a table I had poor service by the waiter or waitress.

Thinking back, I realized this - consider the economics reasons: You are one person occupying a table for four or more, which could provide perhaps four times or more the income for the restaurant and more importantly (for the waiter) extra money in tips. So you do them a favor by eating at the bar instead. Tip the bartender. Most restaurants with bar sections are happy to serve a nicely-prepared meal to you while you are occupying the bar.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:12 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
I've never had an issue with eating alone in a restaurant, but I can't imagine going out for an expensive meal at a place like Lon's, especially on a holiday, and eating alone. A more casual restaurant would seem to be a better choice; eating in the bar is not a bad option, but there again, it depends on the place. I picture most restaurant bars on Christmas as being pretty empty. Even if I'm eatiing alone, I don't want to eat in a room all by myself, or me and the bartender.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:52 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I would too... I would NOT like be a spectacle for gossip and discussions for eating alone, but I kind of admire people who don't give a damn about that type of thing.
You people need to get out more. "spectacle for gossip and discussions", you're kidding me right? My family and I eat out all the time and I have never once looked around the restaurant to see who is eating with who and then commence to talking about someone I've noticed. If someone has nothing better to talk about other than a person sitting alone then it's that person who should fell ashamed and embarrassed for being so shallow and having nothing of substance in their life to talk about.

I travel on business and eat alone frequently and have never worried about others looking at me or talking about me. Very little confidence in yourself if you're worried about such trivial things.

Places where older folks frequent would be open. Many older retired folks don't bother cooking and go out to eat on the holidays. Village Inn, Cracker Barrel, Mimi's Cafe, etc. might be worth looking into.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by LBTRS; 12-21-2009 at 09:05 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 09:20 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
You people need to get out more. "spectacle for gossip and discussions", you're kidding me right? My family and I eat out all the time and I have never once looked around the restaurant to see who is eating with who and then commence to talking about someone I've noticed. If someone has nothing better to talk about other than a person sitting alone then it's that person who should fell ashamed and embarrassed for being so shallow and having nothing of substance in their life to talk about.

I travel on business and eat alone frequently and have never worried about others looking at me or talking about me. Very little confidence in yourself if you're worried about such trivial things.

Places where older folks frequent would be open. Many older retired folks don't bother cooking and go out to eat on the holidays. Village Inn, Cracker Barrel, Mimi's Cafe, etc. might be worth looking into.

Merry Christmas.
Agreed about the "gossiping" part of your post. Cracker Barrel and Mimi's are really good ideas for good, homestyle food, and a touch nicer for a holiday meal than Village Inn, which is tasty for breakfast, but they are really a little too ordinary for a Christmas dinner.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:56 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post

Merry Christmas.
I was specifically thinking of eating Christmas dinner alone in a room full of families. There probably won't be "gossiping" as much as they will be noticed for being alone at a time that is known for "family time".

People on business have to eat alone all the time, I have done it too, you can't always be surrounded by family and friends. Being alone on Christmas and eating a "fancy" multiple course dinner in a restaurant, at a table for 4+ would be sure to spark a little conversation from SOMEONE In the room, no matters whose "problem" it is.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:19 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I did some Googling around...found out that the Rustler's Rooste at South Mountain is open for Christmas. It's accessible through what's called the Arizona Grand Resort, enter off Baseline and drive up the hill to the restaurant. I'm guessing no ice sculptures there, as it's a Western steakhouse sort of place, and the food is good. You could ask if they have a different menu or specials planned for that day, and they do have a website.

BEAUTIFUL views of the Valley below from up there, if you go late in the afternoon you could watch the lights come on in the city below you as the sun goes down (gets dark fast this time of year).
I came into this thread to suggest Rustlers Rooste as well. My wife and I plan on eating there on Christmas evening. They have a dinner special that day of a traditional turkey meal with all of the sides for around $20 per person...but I also suggest trying the rattlesnake!

Old 12-21-2009, 12:25 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,117 times
This hasnt been mentioned, but I think its self to eat out on Xmas. I'm sure the employees want to spend time with there families instead of serving you. But because people goto these places on the holidays they are forced to work. I remember I worked in a call center for a bank a few years ago, and they were open on Xmas. seems like every person was like oh it a shame you have to work on Xmas. I want to say to them. B***h I wouldn/t have to be here if people like you didn't call cuz you got a late fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area