U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-22-2009, 09:37 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,580,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Not me!

I am out swimming, hiking, river rafting, wearing shorts/t-shirts/flip flops/ and exploring Arizona...
How do you prevent getting an intense sunburn?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 09:52 PM

430 posts, read 947,002 times
Default Merry Christmas Ponderosa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I said "monster" storm. The whole reason I posted the link is because it was so unusual and so impressive. I am a weather freak. The storm was cool, that's all. You homesick whiners are always posting silly (the reverse could happen here)off-topic defenses of wherever it is you all came from, wish you were or can't get out of. I'm not one of the ones gloating over the crappy eastern weather and even if I were, you and Steve-o can go kiss a snowman for all I care. I don't even remember what living there was like. Most of what I do recall is pleasant memories of the stuff I did as a young fellow in the winter.

My Christmas wish is that all the malcontents on this forum can find their way back "home" this coming year.
lol

Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,377,512 times
Quote:
Not me!

I am out swimming, hiking, river rafting, wearing shorts/t-shirts/flip flops/ and exploring Arizona...
really? well that is cool if you can handle the heat. I just can not handle being out in 115 degrees.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:03 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,377,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Umm, river rafting in Phoenix?? Hiking in 115* + ???

The only thing that sounds possible in Phx in the summer out of what you wrote is swimming t-shirts and flip flops...

The person who you wrote that to mentioned "up north" which is where you go for river rafting and summer exploring. Phoenix itself is not an ideal destination to be in the summer by any means.
that is what I was thinking, you can do that in flagstaff in the summer but I dont know about phoenix, I hear about people dieing from heat exhaustion.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:36 AM

3,995 posts, read 6,232,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
How do you prevent getting an intense sunburn?
Sunscreen, sun visor and making sure to reapply. Even though I am hispanic, I can burn if I leave my skin bare.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:41 AM

3,995 posts, read 6,232,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
really? well that is cool if you can handle the heat. I just can not handle being out in 115 degrees.
Yep, hydrate, wear appropriate clothing, avoid the worst time to be out doing very active things; 2pm-6pm is the window of time I consider the worst...like I said, there weren't any 115 degrees days this summer in Phoenix; well maybe 2, there seems to be two sites with 114 or 115 as the high for those days.

There were more 110+ days in Phoenix but only a handful. Phoenix averages 17 days each year with highs that reach 110, this year was less I believe. I think 115 is just a number people through out there to make it sound REALLY bad...like saying Chicago is -15 degrees all winter long.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:46 AM

868 posts, read 1,286,889 times
Default !st Winter back in New York

Well, I thought I would be spoiled after three years in New Mexico and two and a half years in Phoenix. This is my first official winter back in New York City in six years . . . I must say that I am enjoying it! Its amazing how quickly one can adjust. A pic of the first snow . . . A visit to NJPAC in Newark, NJ . . . now doesn't that snow look nice . . . time for some hot apple cider and homemade chicken pot pie . . . mmmmm

Old 12-23-2009, 09:42 AM

3,886 posts, read 6,313,768 times
Aw, it looks great! Sometimes the snow can be so pretty!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:23 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,580,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
you're more than free to join in on that freeway system and hitch your wagon out of town
I did but thanks for your concern pal.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:28 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,514,032 times
Quote:
Yep, hydrate, wear appropriate clothing, avoid the worst time to be out doing very active things; 2pm-6pm is the window of time I consider the worst...like I said, there weren't any 115 degrees days this summer in Phoenix; well maybe 2, there seems to be two sites with 114 or 115 as the high for those days.

There were more 110+ days in Phoenix but only a handful. Phoenix averages 17 days each year with highs that reach 110, this year was less I believe. I think 115 is just a number people through out there to make it sound REALLY bad...like saying Chicago is -15 degrees all winter long.
Thanks for pointing this stuff out. Its something I'll have to remember. 17 days of 110+ isn't too bad at all. I hear you when you say people think PHX has highs in the summer of 115 all the time. You know, a lot of people think that L.A. is warm and sunny all year. This is not the case as it can get chilly in the inland areas in the wintertime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area