Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:30 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,849,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
But a 6 year old is (hopefully) not driving your car. Narcotics are definitely more potent. You do realize vicodin and percocet come from the same family as morphine and heroin right?
Yes dear...but everyone's tolerances are different and I know you know that...some can have adverse reactions to the most simple of meds and not know until it happens...now me with a high tolerance can swallow codeine and no effect other than an upset stomach or headache, same as Vicodin and Percocet...(caps on brand names doc), so I am literally screwed when comes to pain relief...but certainly would not drive regardless if in pain, because that could impair me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 07:33 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Yes dear...but everyone's tolerances are different and I know you know that...some can have adverse reactions to the most simple of meds and not know until it happens...now me with a high tolerance can swallow codeine and no effect other than an upset stomach or headache, same as Vicodin and Percocet...(caps on brand names doc), so I am literally screwed when comes to pain relief...but certainly would not drive regardless if in pain, because that could impair me....
Granny, doesnt your high tolerance of morphine point to ...ahem... someone who uses frequently???

Every now and then I do detect a little battiness to your posts and now I know why....

(LOL!!! I'm kidding about the morphine tolerance, but only sort of kidding about the battiness)

Old 12-20-2009, 07:38 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,849,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Sorry AZ River...I couldn't help myself and yes I know, and hope anyone taking them stays home where they belong...same as some over-the-counter medications with warnings not to operate equipment....

Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 PM

426 posts, read 1,306,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
This is all the more reason to refuse ALL field sobriety tests.
Thought I'd add to the validity of this statement.

My Dad is a retired police officer back in Texas with 30+ years on the street. He told me if I'm ever pulled over for DUI to refuse all tests and never talk to a police officer without an attorney present.

Know what your rights are and don't give them up.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:10 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme View Post
Thought I'd add to the validity of this statement.

My Dad is a retired police officer back in Texas with 30+ years on the street. He told me if I'm ever pulled over for DUI to refuse all tests and never talk to a police officer without an attorney present.

Know what your rights are and don't give them up.
That is great advice. If I would have followed it I would have had 8 DUI's in my lifetime instead of 2.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
That is great advice. If I would have followed it I would have had 8 DUI's in my lifetime instead of 2.
No, you may have been arrested for DUI. Arrested for DUI and convicted for it are not the same thing.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme View Post
No, you may have been arrested for DUI. Arrested for DUI and convicted for it are not the same thing.
I would have been convicted, maybe not all of them, but most (if not all) of them. Being that I am a heavy drinker, I can pass all the field sobriety tests even if I am way over the limit, unlike most people. If I would have refused the field sobriety tests, I would have been arrested, and taken to the station where I would have been required to take the breath or blood test. There is no refusing those tests. They will hold you down and force you. I would have definitely failed them. In court, it is a 99% chance you will be convicted if you blow over the legal limit, especially if it is far over the limit. Then, even if you do win, you STILL lose your license because of the admin per se law. Bottom line is, the advice you were given is not good, cop or not.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:07 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,355,517 times
Depends on the state. I got nailed in a state where breathalyzer refusal is pretty much an automatic guilty of DUI. But another state I lived in, refusal couldn't even be used as evidence at trial of DUI. I value my driver's license a LOT, so I won't refuse again unless I know I won't pass. I skated on it once, but I wouldn't get that lucky again. Cops were very cool and wrote the prosecutor a note that I was a good guy and they wouldn't object to his giving me a deal. Still, that night ended up costing me $5k and my insurance still never found out about it. As for field sobriety tests and roadside checkpoints, keep your mouth sut and refuse everything. You cannot help yourself by talking, especially if there's more than one cop on the scene. One cop might let you skate. If he has company, you're getting the full treatment.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Depends on the state. I got nailed in a state where breathalyzer refusal is pretty much an automatic guilty of DUI. But another state I lived in, refusal couldn't even be used as evidence at trial of DUI. I value my driver's license a LOT, so I won't refuse again unless I know I won't pass. I skated on it once, but I wouldn't get that lucky again. Cops were very cool and wrote the prosecutor a note that I was a good guy and they wouldn't object to his giving me a deal. Still, that night ended up costing me $5k and my insurance still never found out about it. As for field sobriety tests and roadside checkpoints, keep your mouth sut and refuse everything. You cannot help yourself by talking, especially if there's more than one cop on the scene. One cop might let you skate. If he has company, you're getting the full treatment.
I both Arizona and Nevada, you cannot refuse the breathalyzer. My friend tried that, and not only did he get the 1 year (instead of 90 days) suspension. They physically held him down and took blood from him against his will. In other words, they are going to get your BAC one way or another.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:34 PM

The acting is kind of cheesy in this ACLU video on YouTube, but thought it was somewhat appropriate based on some of the things being discussed in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: