Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,777 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I am seriously considering relocating to the area. Ive about had it with Winter in the upper Midwest. They say that the weather breeds character, well, Ive got enough fricken character for 2 lifetimes.

A little about me is in order I suppose. Im 41, single, and live alone with my dog. I currently live in a small 1br condo in an unexciting neighborhood of Chicago proper. Im about as far from the epicenter of "cool" or "hip" as you can get.

Before I get the default response of "find a job first" I wll say that my company does operate out of Phoenix, they are located close to the airport. I will be able to transfer right into a job.

A few days searching online for homes in the $100-150k range has me very impressed with what my $ will get me. Most are short sales or foreclosures though. Am I correct in assuming the East Valley is the better compromise for my money? Commute/safety/location.

Does anybody have any recommendations for areas I should look in my price range? Specific subdivisions? I thought I saw some great values in some of the outskirt communities (Queen Creek, Maricopa, Apache Junction), but after some reading here I am deterred by cost of utilities.

I am gonna be coming out for an extended weekend towards the end of Feb to do some recon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 05:26 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,983 times
I think you get more for your money on the west side. Cities like Goodyear, Surprise are probably less expensive than Chandler or Gilbert. Also further north on the west side Glendale & Peoria might be equal or maybe slightly less than Gilbert/Chandler pricing. Tempe will be more expensive and Mesa is a little bit ghetto-ish until you get out further east or south of the 60. All parts of town are so similar its really no big deal where you live out here as long as the drive to work is tolerable.

Last edited by cmist; 01-03-2010 at 05:43 PM..

Old 01-03-2010, 05:37 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jus101968 View Post
Hey everyone. I am seriously considering relocating to the area. Ive about had it with Winter in the upper Midwest. They say that the weather breeds character, well, Ive got enough fricken character for 2 lifetimes.

A little about me is in order I suppose. Im 41, single, and live alone with my dog. I currently live in a small 1br condo in an unexciting neighborhood of Chicago proper. Im about as far from the epicenter of "cool" or "hip" as you can get.

Before I get the default response of "find a job first" I wll say that my company does operate out of Phoenix, they are located close to the airport. I will be able to transfer right into a job.

A few days searching online for homes in the $100-150k range has me very impressed with what my $ will get me. Most are short sales or foreclosures though. Am I correct in assuming the East Valley is the better compromise for my money? Commute/safety/location.

Does anybody have any recommendations for areas I should look in my price range? Specific subdivisions? I thought I saw some great values in some of the outskirt communities (Queen Creek, Maricopa, Apache Junction), but after some reading here I am deterred by cost of utilities.

I am gonna be coming out for an extended weekend towards the end of Feb to do some recon.
You should either rent an apartment or house for a while to make sure you like Phoenix first before considering buying property. The winter in Phoenix is beautiful, but the summer is hell on earth, especially if you have never experienced it.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:43 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Renting for a while isn't a bad idea, because there are lots of different areas that you might like, and there's no point in making an overly hasty decision about buying a house -- if you decide you really don't like it for whatever reason, then you are now trying to sell in the slow market. Prices are still going to be good six months from now, or more. Those outlying communities you mention do have good deals, but the commuting expense will be very high. You should be able to find something closer in, east side or west, that will work out right for you.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,777 times
Wow! Thanks for the quick replies!

Renting or staying with a friend will be part of the equation.

The logistics are that I will find out about transfer for work and have only a few weeks notice. At that time I will put my place in Chicago on the market and move. I wont be able to buy down there until my place sells and I get some equity out of it. Carrying 2 mortgages isnt an option and I probably wouldnt be able to get a second loan any way.

I plan on visiting the area in the Summer also. Im curious to experience the heat but not really scared of it.

I have seen a few nice ads for places NW of the city around Surprise.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:39 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
May and June will be hot and dry, but cool nicely in the eve....warms quickly with the low humidity....July and August are more humid and nights rarely get below 80....it's tough in those months....

we don't have daylight savings time here, remember

those "outlying communities" are where the big depreciation in home prices really occurred big time....lots of foreclosures and short sales in those newish tract homes you see near the edges of the urban areas....be careful as some homes have been stripped or trashed....check recent comps....find a realtor comfortable with these types of sales...look hard and compare....drive the neighborhoods at nighttime, too.....how do the yards look?....appreciation will be slow for years in some of these cookie-cutter subdivisions

I do highly recommend, also, renting for a while before buying....get a feel for the entire valley before buying

Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 AM

82 posts, read 210,450 times
Hey Jus, Good luck to you! I have been there and done that, except without the job when we first arrived. And I never looked back, not even in the hellish heat of summer.

If you want a quick list of ways to act like a native when you get here, check this out:

New Year's Resolutions: top 10 ways to avoid being labeled a transplant

Susan

Old 01-04-2010, 08:49 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
I moved here from Chicago 8 years ago with the intention of wintering here and summering in Wisconsin. It hasn't worked out that way, but I can honestly say that you get used to the summers here very quickly.

As for summer, if you are working indoors you will have air conditioning during the day. Try to keep your outdoor activities to the early morning or late evening and you will be fine. If you want to go out during the afternoon, go to the mall or go see a movie (or go for a swim).

I play tennis all year long outdoors. Just keep hydrated, lots of SPF 50 and don't sit on any uncovered metal.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,094 times
Quote:

Maricopa (Rancho El Dorado is beautiful with a golf course and plenty foreclosures.)

Old 06-26-2010, 09:49 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,530 times
Quote:
Well did you move? Not many 'sick of the cold' posts this time of year. Go figure, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area