U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2010, 03:39 PM

98 posts, read 150,275 times
Default Reception of OTA HD TV signals in Phoenix

We cancelled our cable about a year ago now. We do have 2 High Definition TVs in our home. We bought 2 indoor UHF antenna receivers (now being touted as HD TV receivers) for each TV so we could obtain the (obviously) free local channel broadcasts aka "over the air" channels.

Living in SE Gilbert, we do get most of the local channels. However, Channel 12 has been a royal pain to get. Heck, we have a much easier time getting Channel 4 (same NBC channel but broadcast from Tucson). Most of the time, the signals for channels 3, 5, 10, and 15 come in fine. The other channels 6 and 8 baffle me sometimes. I think these are the "create" channels but sometimes the channels overlap on what's being broadcast (at the same time). Again, maybe one of them is coming from Tucson?

Again, was mainly wondering what's going on with Channel 12 or am I one of the few people having a tough time receiving a good signal from them? Or what are your experiences with the other HD channels?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 04:05 PM

1,338 posts, read 1,581,403 times
Put an antenna on your roof or chimney.

I live in the far north valley and I get all the stations pretty good (5 is a little weak but watchable). 7 just upgraded their antenna and now it is great. All I watch now is reruns on 7.1 and 7.2.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:22 PM

16,435 posts, read 19,321,679 times
North Valley (north of South Mountain) is where the best reception is. Out in Estrella where I am there is no OTA TV at all and only a couple salsa stations on the radio come in clearly (why does that always seem to be the case? I bet you could get that junk on the moon). Stations apparently have not made the investments to keep up with growth.

I saw that free TV is going the way of the dinosaur anyway in the next few years.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:40 PM

27,295 posts, read 19,536,875 times
I live about 20 miles NW of So. Mountain and with our outdoor antenna e get fantastic reception from all the local channels plus a dozen or more spanish from all over and the 2 stations from Prescott.
Remember all shows are not broadcast in 1080 HDTV. Some shows are still broadcast in 480 or 720. HD signals have narrower wavelengths than analog signals so when you have an indoor antenna the HD signals don't bounce around the walls and ceiling as EZ as the old analog signals did.
I have one indoor antenna for my kitchen TV and I found an antenna from Radio Shack with a signal booster that helps tremendously with the indoor HD reception.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:03 AM

1,573 posts, read 1,710,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeu00 View Post
We cancelled our cable about a year ago now. We do have 2 High Definition TVs in our home. We bought 2 indoor UHF antenna receivers (now being touted as HD TV receivers) for each TV so we could obtain the (obviously) free local channel broadcasts aka "over the air" channels.
During the time prior to the analog shutdown, all channels were using UHF frequencies for their digital channels. (Your receiver would remap them to the expected location.) A UHF-only antenna would work fine for you at that point. However, as of the cutoff, 8, 10 and 12 all went back to their VHF frequencies, which means you really need a VHF/UHF antenna.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:29 AM

98 posts, read 150,275 times
pbenjamin, thank you for the info update. I guess I was ignorant about them going back and making use of the VHF band. I do have the combo VHF/UHF "booster" units but had the rabbit ears minimized since I did not know after the cutoff the VHF band would be used again. I will extend them now and see how it goes.

Someone mentioned channels 7.x. I didn't even know they existed. They have never come up on my list. I'll rescan the digital channels after extending the old fashioned rabbit ears and see if they pop up.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:33 AM

1,573 posts, read 1,710,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Remember all shows are not broadcast in 1080 HDTV. Some shows are still broadcast in 480 or 720.
To clarify: all of the local network affiliates, plus a few more, broadcast in HD. The HD broadcast standard is either 720p or 1080i. Both are considered HD. Several channels, including KAET/PBS, KSAZ/FOX, KNXV/ABC and KUTP/MyTV, broadcast in 720p, while KTVK/3, KPHO/CBS, KPNX/NBC and KASW/CW broadcast in 1080i. There are many debates as to which is "better". Many consider 720p superior for content with lots of action, such as sporting events. It is typically the networks that dictate what the local affiliates use, although KAET has gone their own way and deviated from the PBS standard of 1080i.

With that in mind, ALL programming on those stations is broadcast in either 720p or 1080i, it is the content that may or may not be HD. In other words, if they are showing a Leave it to Beaver rerun, they are upconverting the old SD material and that is what you receive. That upconversion doesn't do much for you but that is what is going on. If your TV has an indicator that shows what it is receiving, you will see that Wally and the Beav are in 1080i or whatever.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:03 PM

845 posts, read 1,399,979 times
I just connected a piece of coax to a 30 year old apartment wall outlet. I got 5,8,10,12, and 15.
My 12.1, and 12.2 are both verygood. My five seems to be weak. It's free. This is I-17 and Northern.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:16 PM

1,907 posts, read 2,023,899 times
I'm in the east valley~ my scan came back with 41 channels but some are almost always no signal! But still a pretty good bunch of stations !

Old 02-22-2010, 06:19 PM

42 posts, read 87,659 times
On the Gilbert/Mesa border and, after these many months, just realizing that we don't get NBC. No, I don't watch TV too often but was eager to see the Olympics. How can we not get a major channel?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area