U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:26 PM

18 posts, read 49,396 times

Advertisements

I have spent the last 4 hours reading as many posts about Arizona as I possibly can. My wife and I currently live in the Seattle area and have lived here for around 20 years. I am 27 and she is 23. As my "screen name" would indicate, we had initially planned to move to San Diego, where I was born, up until a few months ago. It's looking like SoCal is not going to happen now. Basically, it's a job thing. My wife would have to be relicensed, which is incredibly costly, time consuming, and difficult.

I have long thought of the Phoenix/Scottsdale area as a plan B to SoCal. And from the looks of it on these message boards, some other people seem to share the same opinion.

We both hate Seattle, the dark gray weather, the smug politically obsessed people, and the insane cost of living (considering how bad the weather is and how little entertainment is available).

What I am wondering is this: Based on what we are looking for, do those of you who already live there think we would enjoy Phoenix?

A little about our professions: I am pursuing a degree in school psychology and will work in K-12 education. My wife is a dental hygienist. So I am wondering if there are many jobs available in these areas?

I am a little nervous about the summers but I would assume people just sit in their air conditioned homes, right? I mean, in Seattle, we sit in our homes 9 months out of the year cause it drizzles too much to enjoy a nice day out and about. At least that is my opinion.

We also want a good place to raise a family, and we would like to be able to do annual vacations to SoCal and Disneyland with our forthcoming children.

OK, my last concern is this "scorpion" thing I keep hearing about?

Besides the summers and the scorpions, Phoenix and Scottsdale seem pretty nice to me. Am I on the right track here? What am I missing?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 08:06 PM

93 posts, read 166,011 times
Get the jobs squared away first. You'll get used to the summers...some grow to love it. The fringes (May, early June, late September, October) aren't bad as mornings and evenings are nice with low humidity. SoCal and AZ high country (+/- 2 hours away) are nice getaways. If you have a pool it's even better. Lots of good places to raise kids. People that have scorpions (very few) have them bad. Most have never seen them .

Old 01-10-2010, 09:44 AM

I've just heard of some homes being a bit overrun by scorpions. Especially in newer developments on the outskirts of towns. Someone posted a "scorpion density" map on here that was rather interesting and it did look like most of the problems were on the edge of the map.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:15 PM

31 posts, read 37,777 times
Hi there,

I might suggest you seriously take a look at Austin, Texas. The job prospects are much, much better, the summers a bit less miserable, and housing still affordable. There is growth there - there is not much growth here in Phoenix. In fact, the economy is quite horrific. I hear the state is supposed to be bankrupt by the end of Jan '10. My colleagues are having significant challenges finding work and, truly, (I don't think anyone will argue with me here), there is nothing stimulating to do here.

I am leaving Phoenix and so are all of my friends. Seattle will seem like New York City once you get here. Don't get me wrong, Phoenix/Scottsdale are aesthetically quite lovely, but there is a huge lack of cultural and urbane activities here. Also, you need to know that the education system here is in crisis. Teachers are being laid off right and left because there is no budget for public education. You might have a hard time finding a job in K-12. Even the community colleges and universities are not hiring much, if at all.

While I don't want to rain on your parade, I would be concerned about a young, hip couple moving here from a much more cosmopolitan city. Phoenix is extremely conservative and not at all sophisticated. I've lived here since 1991 and must frequently head out to L.A. lest I start to lose my mind ...

Austin might offer the ideal mix of trendy, cultural, and hip that it sounds like you're looking for. Winters are mild and there are no scorpions (just huge flying cockroaches that will freak you out).

I lived there and would certainly consider moving back.

Just a thought!

Good luck!!!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:58 PM

3,995 posts, read 6,238,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phddoc View Post
Hi there,

I might suggest you seriously take a look at Austin, Texas. The job prospects are much, much better, the summers a bit less miserable, and housing still affordable. There is growth there - there is not much growth here in Phoenix. In fact, the economy is quite horrific. I hear the state is supposed to be bankrupt by the end of Jan '10. My colleagues are having significant challenges finding work and, truly, (I don't think anyone will argue with me here), there is nothing stimulating to do here.

I am leaving Phoenix and so are all of my friends. Seattle will seem like New York City once you get here. Don't get me wrong, Phoenix/Scottsdale are aesthetically quite lovely, but there is a huge lack of cultural and urbane activities here. Also, you need to know that the education system here is in crisis. Teachers are being laid off right and left because there is no budget for public education. You might have a hard time finding a job in K-12. Even the community colleges and universities are not hiring much, if at all.

While I don't want to rain on your parade, I would be concerned about a young, hip couple moving here from a much more cosmopolitan city. Phoenix is extremely conservative and not at all sophisticated. I've lived here since 1991 and must frequently head out to L.A. lest I start to lose my mind ...

Austin might offer the ideal mix of trendy, cultural, and hip that it sounds like you're looking for. Winters are mild and there are no scorpions (just huge flying cockroaches that will freak you out).

Just a thought!

Good luck!!!
This is highly inaccurate. Phoenix actually had a better economic footing in recent months, even compared to Austin. Phoenix is considerably more densely populated than Austin as well. The central city areas (of course) are where the urbane and "stimulating" things occur in metro Phoenix...

As you'd guess there aren't many urbane things in suburban regions although Tempe, Scottsdale, and a growing Glendale presence have great urban amenities. The schools are also very strong in the metro with a much stronger tax base compared to the state of Arizona as a whole.

With the budget crisis, yes, Arizona is in a bit of a situation and there will need to be temporary tax increases imposed in order to get the budget out of the red. I'd recommend job searches and inquiries before moving anywhere. While there has been growing interest in Arizona from international tech companies and corporations (mostly in the form of solar research, headquarters, and manufacturing) there will be a need again for teachers in the future. The medical fields in Arizona (including dental) have always been stronger than most regions in the country and this is still true today...

Old 01-10-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phddoc View Post
Hi there,

Just a thought!

Good luck!!!
I'm not sure hip is what we are looking for, although I do here that Austin is a wonderful place to live. As far as the politics go, we are pretty moderate so ultra-conservatives don't bother us. If anything, we tend to prefer them to radical liberals as we have grown rather tired of them up here in Seattle. But that's a whole other discussion.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply! I want to hear the good the bad and the ugly. Helps to make a more informed decision.

Does anyone know where I can find school job postings for AZ? I know California places all their openings on one giant website. I was hoping something like this existed in AZ so I didn't have to look at each individual districts website.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:28 PM

123 posts, read 196,385 times
Phoenix is a great alternative to San Diego since it is much more affordable but still has nice weather and sunshine.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:33 PM

10,481 posts, read 14,660,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB90 View Post
Phoenix is a great alternative to San Diego since it is much more affordable but still has nice weather and sunshine.
Yeah right, Phoenix weather sucks compared to San Diego. As everyone knows San Diego is my dream place. When I lived in Phoenix, I would escape to San Diego for my summer vacations. I would not even consider moving to Phoenix over San Diego. To me at least, San Diego is the ideal place to live. If the op moves to Phoenix, he will be sorry he did.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:08 PM

3,995 posts, read 6,238,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Yeah right, Phoenix weather sucks compared to San Diego. As everyone knows San Diego is my dream place. When I lived in Phoenix, I would escape to San Diego for my summer vacations. I would not even consider moving to Phoenix over San Diego. To me at least, San Diego is the ideal place to live. If the op moves to Phoenix, he will be sorry he did.
San Diego is too cold (LOL) and doesn't get hot enough and that to me is FAR from perfect. If you can't swim in July at midnight between 80-90 one might as well be in Alaska, LOL!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:47 PM

10,481 posts, read 14,660,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
San Diego is too cold (LOL) and doesn't get hot enough and that to me is FAR from perfect. If you can't swim in July at midnight between 80-90 one might as well be in Alaska, LOL!
Too cold, San Diego doesn't get as cold as Phoenix, plus they have MUCH nicer summers. I would have moved there instead of Vegas but it is unreasonable for someone at my income level to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area