Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times

Advertisements

it's also easy to immerse yourself here - keep your radio on the spanish stations, watch spanish TV programing (a good amount can be picked up by a basic antenna for no charge if you do not have cable), etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:28 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Another plug for Rosetta Stone. It's a fantastic program and fun too. My daughter is using the French program.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:16 AM

91 posts, read 246,252 times
I vote immerse yourself. I feel that Rosetta Stone is WAY overpriced....as for classes you would have to take several classes for them to cover all that you want. It will be easy to immerse yourself. Keep your ears open and when you hear someone speaking Spanish ask if you could talk with them for a bit...of course this will take a few tries to find someone who knows some English as well so you can get started. You can always look on line as to open phrases Hola Come se Liza, y tu? Hi my name is Liza what is your name? There you go.....I am sure the spelling is way off it has been years. But you get the point.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:33 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,076 times
Please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't know much Spanish but "Hola Come se Liza, y tu?" doesn't really make any sense. When you want to say "Hi, my name is ____, and you?" You'd want to say "Hola, me llamo _____, ¿y tu?" (y usted when speaking to someone older or more unfamiliar)

"Me llamo" literally means I call myself.

For "my name is _____" literally, it is "mi nombre es _____"

But any native speakers of Spanish can correct me if I'm wrong, as maybe snowflake13 could be correct and it's a way that I've never heard it before

Old 03-19-2010, 09:31 AM

91 posts, read 246,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't know much Spanish but "Hola Come se Liza, y tu?" doesn't really make any sense. When you want to say "Hi, my name is ____, and you?" You'd want to say "Hola, me llamo _____, ¿y tu?" (y usted when speaking to someone older or more unfamiliar)

"Me llamo" literally means I call myself.

For "my name is _____" literally, it is "mi nombre es _____"

But any native speakers of Spanish can correct me if I'm wrong, as maybe snowflake13 could be correct and it's a way that I've never heard it before
As I said in my post it has been years...so I am sure you are correct. Thanks for making me feel like an a$$

Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake13 View Post
As I said in my post it has been years...so I am sure you are correct. Thanks for making me feel like an a$$
I didn't intend to make you feel that way. Sorry if I did

I've been known to be wrong at times as well. Like I said, it could have been some kind of dialect that I never heard. I learn new stuff about my native language (Serbo-Croatian) all the time, so don't feel bad.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:53 AM

845 posts, read 2,326,631 times
I like to check out the www.elimparcial.com. It is the newspaper of Hermosillo. A lot of the news ties in with Arizona, so with the pictures you can understand what the articles are about. I like the deportes (sports) and clima (weather). ELIMPARCIAL.COM - Clima 90F today in Hermosillo.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:20 PM

710 posts, read 3,390,954 times
Check out le tutor in Tempe. Never been but word is they're good. You'll need a conversational base and then you'll be able to string common phrases together... Mexican slang's waaay different from Castillian spanish guey.

In case you go to Mexico, forget the 'I wish to take an Orange taxi to the market' phrasebook and find one with this in the first chapter.... perdon senor oficial, encontramos cuerpos sin cabezas en la calle!

And watch Mexican TV news channels.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
perdon senor oficial, encontramos cuerpos sin cabezas en la calle!

I definitely have got to say LOL to that one

Old 03-19-2010, 12:43 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
heh - i don't speak spanish so I had to use a translator for that - good stuff

Here is one I grabbed from the translater that could be fun as well

perdon senor oficial, soy una mula de la droga, examino por favor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area