Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 02:00 PM

47 posts, read 89,157 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be retiring next year and moving the the Phoenix area from Michigan. We live in a college, artsy smallish city where interracial couples don't get a second glance.

He's 57 and I'm 50. Is there a place anywhere around Phoenix where we might feel the most comfortable? We're middle-upper middle class and will probably be renting an apartment or condo in the beginning.

We recently visited and did a lot of driving around. Loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 02:14 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times
I had an interracial relationship while living in Tucson and Phoenix. Tucson is a college town and people are pretty social liberal. Phoenix is not as socially liberal, but the city is large enough that no one will hassle you if you are have a different skin color than your spouse or lover. We did not feel hassled. We lived near old town Scottsdale.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:39 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
I'm one half of an interracial couple, and we've had zero issues in Phoenix (or Tucson) regarding that.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:03 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to realize that interracial couples are actually more of a norm in metro Phoenix than other areas of the country. No one will pay attention to it...Phoenix is rather socially liberal but some of the outer burbs are more conservative (Mesa, Surprise).

Old 01-10-2010, 08:16 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
We're are an interracial couple as well. You can live anywhere you want without issues. No one cares. So focus on other things that matter to you when looking for a home and forget about the race concerns. Isn't that nice?

Old 01-10-2010, 08:45 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Agreed with others. My grandparents had no problems back in the 60's and they are an interracial couple.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,865 times
we have an interracial couple as neighboors and nobody cares.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:31 AM
zox

344 posts, read 479,045 times
I'm Asian Indian and I've never had any trouble in the Phoenix area. I've felt more comfortable in Phoenix because there are so many Hispanics that people are used to being around ethnic people. Believe me that isn't the case in most cities in this country. I've never been treated differently or discriminated against.

Interestingly enough, I drove through my first Border Patrol stop on I-10 outside of Tucson. Yes, they asked if I was a U.S. citizen and asked to check my trunk. That was it. They didn't ask for ID. They didn't harrass me. They didn't talk down to me. I'm from Dallas and love Big D but outside of Dallas, it could be a little scary if you got pulled over because you never knew how the highway patrol officer would treat you. Some of them could be really racist and would have you sit in their patrol car with them or have you stand outside your car and frisk you. I've never experienced anything like that in Phoenix. I've dated outside of my race here and its never been an issue either. Phoenix has always felt socially liberal to me.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
If you like the college city atmosphere, give Tempe a look. As the others have said, I don't think you will find any issue whatsoever in most areas of the Valley.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:05 AM

178 posts, read 480,873 times
I find it difficult to believe that interracial couples still see a lack of acceptance. I suppose it may be happening, but in the last decade nearly all prejudism had declined immensely. We have some issues as a society with Arab Americans being looked upon with suspicion since 911 and also a bit of discontent with Mexican Americans due to a immigration issue playing a role in an ever collapsing economy. But these prejudices have little to do with color, rather they are related to larger political problems within the country as a whole. It is unfortunate that we racially profile individuals based upon the larger scope of what we learned about a group through media and public information.

As far as any mixed couple moving somewhere do not fear any particular neighborhood in the valley. Phoenicians are pretty accepting folk. But they may look at you a lot in an air port if your Arab or be upset if they hear you working a job they applied for and you don't speak fluent English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area