U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:51 PM

15 posts, read 30,624 times
Default Mosquitoes?

Does Arizona have mosquitos? We were there over christmas and never saw one buy. Here in Michigan, they get about as big as sparrows. I'm nearly phobic about them.

How about wasp nests, etc...

What is the biggest critter nuisance in the Phoenix area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 02:00 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,277,327 times
i haven't seen any mosquitoes in the desert regions, I'm sure if there are bodies of water they exist.

We do have africanized bees, but it's rare. The biggest nuisance for me are house flies, but that should ease up when the 70,000+ cows that are about 3 miles away ship out this December. I wasn't all that thrilled to hear the dairy was going to become an industrial park, but it does have some perks!

Old 01-13-2010, 02:12 PM

7,840 posts, read 15,400,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsonkl View Post
Does Arizona have mosquitos? We were there over christmas and never saw one buy. Here in Michigan, they get about as big as sparrows. I'm nearly phobic about them.

How about wasp nests, etc...

What is the biggest critter nuisance in the Phoenix area?
Interesting question, Hopsonkl.

By nature, Mosquitos prefer a moist damp climate and the Desert Southwest has the exact opposite except for during the Monsoons (mainly July and August). Then we do have a few Mosquitos but nothing compared to the East Coast and/or the Upper Midwest where they are HUGE (you compared them to Sparrows, I say Cats ( ) and ABUNDANT.

Overall, the bug problem is considerably less in Arizona.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:14 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,288,857 times
most certainly have mosquitos

in fact we get a fair amount of mosquito related disease such as west nile for people and heart worm for pets

however, I wouldn't say we have a mosquito problem .... i think i've seen 1 since i've been out here

it wasn't like my last weekend in MN when I was helping my buddy put in a fence .... i bathed in bug spray and the little critters were finding pieces of my clothing that were not doused in chemicals to wriggle themselves into

also not nearly the number of gnats or crawling bugs

there are bees for sure - not sure if I would say it's much better or worse than other places though

a couple times each year we have some issues with flies where I live, but it's generally short lived

i'd say most of our critters crawl on the ground as opposed to fly through the air

Old 01-13-2010, 02:20 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,742,759 times
There are mosquitoes here. Each year the county reports cases of West Nile Virus. There is unfortunately a particular problem with green/abandoned pools due to the economy.

As to Africanized Bees I twice had to have hives removed from my previous house in NE Phoenix.

Last edited by pbenjamin; 01-13-2010 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: left a word out...

Old 01-13-2010, 02:22 PM

16,588 posts, read 19,558,167 times
They're around. More so in the city, I think, because people leave things around that collect water and there have been many green pools the last couple years with the bust, too. They are virtually non-existent in the open desert and even in the mountains, you don't see them much it seems to me.

Certainly very few people use DEET preparations. I always get a kick out of visiting the U.P. and seeing all the bug sprays on display at the front of the store. Here, you gotta ask where they are (sporting goods section). We have sunscreen up front.

On a related note, dogs ticks are also pretty scarce - fleas even more. I never use dog tick drops on mine here. When I go to Oklahoma in the summer they get infested in about 5 minutes without it.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:09 PM

3,995 posts, read 6,064,713 times
What are mosquitos again??? LOL

Old 01-13-2010, 03:26 PM

21,235 posts, read 11,761,624 times
Michigan mosquitos are a big as B-52s. My grandmother had a farm there and her electric bug zapper sounded like there was bacon frying. At night, we'd squish them when they landed on the walls and in the morning there would be little spots of blood all over the wall paper. Looked like a crime scene.

I haven't seen a mosquito in my three years here in the desert. Thank goodness. Recently had the bees making a huge honey comb on a water line in the neighborhood. That was actually kind of interesting though I feel sorry for the poor meter reader who found it. The really interesting thing to me is that a lot of my neighbors have horses and even some cattle, but I don't see nearly the number of flies I'd expect.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:33 PM

16,588 posts, read 19,558,167 times
Black widows. You NEVER see them inside the house. They hang out in junk piles - things that don't get disturbed very often. So in the corner of the garage, maybe, or in the wood pile, for sure. But you'd have to be one lousy housekeeper to have one in your bed! Even if you come across one, they are a very lethargic and non-aggressive. Their presence is easy to spot because you see these ragged webs with white balls in them. I think you gotta be really dumb or drunk to get bit by a black widow.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:43 PM

382 posts, read 825,466 times
This was about 3 1/2 years ago when we lived in North Phoenix. That's the outside of our porch. I was glad I hadn't let our cat out in the morning! Very messy cleaning up dead bee's

This is from the inside, through the screen door. They weren't interested in us, thankfully.

As for mosquitoes, when my Mom lived next door to us I would get bitten on my feet. They were attracted to the water in her plant holders, very annoying.

I think the bigger nuisances are black widows and scorpions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area