Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:27 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Steve, that's a great story for what it's really like here in the summer. Can you believe though how many move here from places that's rally cold and snowy? It's one extreme to another.
Yeah, Ive always wondered if 1/2 those folks truly know what theyre getting into. Ive known people who think its 80 year round (LOL!!!), or people who think it never gets cold there. All I can say is buckle up for May, June, July, August, September and some October, and "enjoy" the ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 09:54 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Watching people in Texas, OK, and MO riding rowboats past their homes, or seeing that little Kansas town completely wiped off the map, and folks in NOLA still homeless after two years; having to tough it out for a few hours a day in an air-conditioned house just doesn't seem so bad.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:19 AM

283 posts, read 990,232 times
Ahhhhh

Old 07-02-2007, 03:56 PM

319 posts, read 494,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Great writeup! I havent been to AZ in summer in many, many years (I refused to do so for a long time) until a few weeks ago. Sitting outside El Pedregal in Scottsdale in the 113 degree heat, I looked at my brother and swore "NEVER AGAIN". Its no joke what that heat can do to you, its severely dangerous. I never drank so much water in my life. Anyways, if you play it safe youll be fine, but its still too blastin hot to do much of anything 4 months of the year, regardless of what anyone tells you. I was recording 113 degrees in the shade, 125 in the sun, over 135 in the truck. Thats ludicrous!!!!!!!
Is 110 that bad, if you're sitting in the shade with a glass of icewater?

A tanktop, light shorts, and flipflops..

watching the beautiful desert landscape.

Low humidity in the shade shouldn't feel all that bad I don't think.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:38 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
I see some people do it with misters and shade. I can't sit outside when it gets over 108. I made the mistake of trying to walk when it was 111 and I almost passed out. It is a dry heat, but it can still take a toll on you.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:42 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
It's still very hot, no matter what. Heat stroke is very real.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:11 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
people who think it never gets cold there
It may get cold sometimes, but a night time low of low to mid 40s in January is a joke IMO. I'd take that any day. It rarely gets over 45ish for the HIGH here in January. I can't wait to move to a city with a much more mild winter. It's depressing to me. After a few weeks of nothing but freezing cold and scraping off windshields every morning, I'm ready for warmer weather. It's July and I still find myself dreading the weather turning cold come October or November.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:59 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
It may get cold sometimes, but a night time low of low to mid 40s in January is a joke IMO. I'd take that any day. It rarely gets over 45ish for the HIGH here in January. I can't wait to move to a city with a much more mild winter. It's depressing to me. After a few weeks of nothing but freezing cold and scraping off windshields every morning, I'm ready for warmer weather. It's July and I still find myself dreading the weather turning cold come October or November.
You will love it here. Make sure you have a pool near by, it's like having a wood stove back east for when the electricity goes out.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:02 PM

64 posts, read 282,818 times
Monsoons next week. Dust storms. It's like a blizzard but with dirt instead of snow. Giant orange hiroshima cloud sweeps across the valley, uproots trees. Spectacular lightning that looks like war of the worlds. Cools things down nice from 117 to 97.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:38 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Watching people in Texas, OK, and MO riding rowboats past their homes, or seeing that little Kansas town completely wiped off the map, and folks in NOLA still homeless after two years; having to tough it out for a few hours a day in an air-conditioned house just doesn't seem so bad.

Yea thats sad that a lot of people lost their homes. A lot of these occurances arent the type that happen every day. No place, no matter where, isnt going to have something about it. Floods, tornadoes, extreme heat, earthquakes, extreme snow blizzard conditions, microbursts, these may not happen frequently in many areas but when they do, many people from other areas pitch in to help the victims of those issues. Yes, it might take funding for the materials but if I knew the right channels to go through, I would offer to go somewhere and offer to do so.
I have friends out here right now from Oklahoma, but they are visiting, and theyve even commented on the extreme heat here, but they left flooded areas, so its one or the other. Theyre going back tonight though, we'll have to see what happens...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area